Key issue

leverward

Tadpole
Hi guys, needing some advice. My car is having trouble communicating with my key. Car will crank but not start, also when I leave the key in and open the door not beeping. Unfortunately my laptop is broken so can’t use Diagbox. Could anyone suggest where I could tow my car to get it fixed. I’m in Concord nsw. Thanks in advance

Is this a key battery or car battery lack of voltage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No doubt you've specified the exact model and year of your car in previous posts, but perhaps you could help our ageing memories by mentioning it again - VIN would also help! I'm assuming your car is a Peugeot, but that still leaves several possible keys/security systems.

I realise that you've given up, and are just asking for help finding your nearest Pug-friendly mechanic, but you never know - someone may have an idea that helps!

A couple of supplementary questions:

1. Is the key that is giving trouble your only key?

2. Have you purchased a new key?

3. You mentioned that batteries for car and key are both new. Was it working before battery replacement, and has it worked since?

Cheers

Alec

Last edited:
Sorry Alec should have given a few more details.
vin fv33crfnb82233258

peugeot 307 2002 2.0l petrol hatch xse

i have a second key but unfortunately it doesn't work either
the main key ive used for years i did purchase and program myself.
I was driving the car all day, then when i went to restart it wouldnt go. It cranks but wont turn over. Called NRMA who said the car isnt getting fuel. I knew the car battery was old so purchased a new one. no luck. I connected to diagbox and attempted to reprogramme but an error message said it could not communicate with the key. Thought it might be the key battery so replaced it. Then my computer with diagbox on it stopped working and wont turn on. Also was pulling at straws and put a new fuel pump in cause it still had the original. Love my car but damn its annoying me.

Not sure how you did the (car) battery swap, but it might be worth disconnecting the battery for 1/2 an hour or so - this should cause full reset of all on-board computers (esp. BSI).

Approved procedure is to open bonnet, wind down driver's window, remove key and close all doors + boot. Wait 2 minutes then disconnect battery.

After 1/2 hr plus, reconnect battery, then after a minute or so, reach through open window and switch on parking lights. Confirm that they are on, then it should be safe to switch everything else on (and test starting).

Cheers

Alec

had the battery disconnected for more than 1/2 hour.
unable to do the approved procedure cause car in economy mode and wont let me put the window down.

had the battery disconnected for more than 1/2 hour.
unable to do the approved procedure cause car in economy mode and wont let me put the window down.

Catch-22 situation!

You can always follow the procedure by having one person just sitting in the car while the battery is reconnected and wait the necessary time before switching on the lights. It does obviously require a helper.

I am wondering if the immobiliser is preventing the car from starting. The one time I had a similar issue (2.0l 206GTi), it showed an immobiliser fault on the display and the battery disconnect/reconnect worked.

I called revive my lion. My key was faulty so John got my old key working. Also fuel pump I just bought off ebay didn’t work. Went to eai at Thornleigh, got another pump now the car works great again.

Thanks for the feedback; good to hear you're going again. John provides a useful service in Sydney.