Ken block rip 2/01/23.

Just hearing this also. Snowmobile flipped and landed on him. :S

horrible stuff :(

Reactions: COL
RIP

images - 2023-01-04T103614.929.jpeg

Probably was high marking in the snow, which is just about the only way I can think of a snowmobile falling on you. Super risky activity, it kills several people in Western Canada every winter.

I met Ken Block once, sort of. Had to look up when, it was Rally Australia in Coffs Harbour, 2011.

He and Mikko Hirvonen were doing meet and greet PR at the local high school. My niece was a reporter at the time and she tipped me off.

So I snuck in to the grounds, and these drivers were standing there. Ken Block was mobbed, and poor old Mikko was standing there by himself, unrecognised.

I asked Mikko why he was not the one to be surrounded, and he said, nodding towards Ken Block, ´´because he´s on youtube´´.

What is high marking in the snow?
On an extremely steep mountain, the snowmobile riders race up one at a time at the top speed and get as high in the powder snow as possible. When reaching the high point and upward momentum is no longer possible, the machine falls downwards (often it's a 70 degree slope at that point). The snowmobiles have paddles on their tracks, usually, which makes forward progress in deep powder snow possible. The highest "mark" wins. Sadly, too many lose their lives or are injured doing this, sometimes in avalanches they trigger.

Wow that was a piece of work and it looks like he did it all in 2 takes judging by the black marks. The car sounded good and no doubt purpose built for his style of showmanship.