Kangoo Break-up....

danielsydney

Good Sport
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Another message from me guys. I am very disapointed that the Renault Kangoo "break-up" is not coming out to australia. In fact Kangoo isnt coming here at all.
I think it would be a great seller with the correct advertising. Maybe some euro adverts would be nice.
We need another van to try knocking off the combi amd the berlingo.
The 4x4 version would be fantastic if it ever came out here...Gee I hope it does.

As with all these things, it would be nice to have EVERY model of EVERY Renault here in Australia.

Rightly (which I suspect is correct) or wrongly, Renault Australia have obviously decided that they won't make a profit out of selling this model here.

I don't know about other people, but I'm getting bored of amateur market analysts on this list complaining about models not being sold here.

I would have thought that having the range that we do (possibly bigger now in Australia than ever before? - happy to be corrected on this) is pretty good really.

I'm not getting bored.
Then again, I'm not here as much as you Europa so maybe I would share your thoughts after a while. Having said that I reckon they probably have a good bunch of people crunching the numbers and making their decisions on that basis.

I was just trying to hint at the fact that I want the kangoo to come out to Australia..... wink

Hey Daniel, don't muck around, why don't you just post a single "blanket" entry saying

"I wish every model would come to Australia"

... rather than a a continual stream of postings regarding different models (ie. Espace, Kangoo etc) ...

I assume you have run Renault to talk about their decision, what did they say?

Europa, I'd probably disagree, this is an enthusiast forum, after all. We're also free to participate or not in the threads and discuss everything that is, French cars. Maybe Daniel didn't word his question well, but he's probably more after everyone's opinion on the Kangoo...if there are any opinions on the Kangoo out there...

I don't see a message saying "it's a shame the Kangoo isn't coming out", as a criticism of the current range that Renault have brought out to Australia, either.

As for "amateur market analysts"...well I think we all are, to some degree. None of us in this forum would profess to call themselves an expert on the market...enthusiasts rarely know what the market actually wants (nor do the experts, mind you), but it does make an interesting conversation to have....for those that want to participate in such a discussion. Feel free to not participate, if you have no opinion. Each to their own, I say! :)

As for the topic at hand, if the Holden Barina Combo and Citroen Berlingo can make a relative success out of a niche vehicle, I can't see why Renault wouldn't be able to jump on that band wagon, as well. I remember when the Combo first came out, and I thought, "you gotta be joking! who'd buy that???".

After all, the Holden is a superseeded model, and I don't know if Holden is planning on replacing it with the new model when it is launched. If they don't, it's another good reason for Renault to jump at the opportunity.

Unfortantely, with Nissan holding the purse strings to the Renault distribution in Australia, I doubt they'll be jumping at even the POSSIBILITY of getting burnt. Nissan had a bad trot in the 90s with the Micra and Bluebird, not sure how eager they would be to jump at a niche, when they can't even bring out a Primera or a Skyline.

More and more distributors are bringing niche cars to Australia, Ford brought out their F-series truck and Mustang...it'd be great if Renault would do the same.

One more point is the more and more interest in a particular model is show in forums like AussieFrogs, the more distributors will notice that there is a demand for a model. I regularly see messages from Geoff Polites in the Ford Australia fan forums, for example. The big wigs, do notice these things...

My two cents,
Lincoln

I like the Kangoo, as it's the closest thing there is to an R4 currently on sale. I like the French minimalist 'hose out' vehicles - it's a shame everyone's gone soft and wants all the gear in even the most basic transport. I liked the fact that the original Twingo had the Sierra motor too. Still, only the French and Italians would buy these basic cars in any numbers.

I think Gordon Murray (McLaren F1 designer) has one as one of his regular drivers, so they can't be too bad! Mind you, the other's a Smart MCC...

Stuey

Kangoo is very much a modern day R4. Had a good look at one in a dealer in Germany (where a distributor cap for our 1.7 R21 cost me 75 Marks - ouch), and as Cartman would say, they are hella cool. They are also approved for ADR compliance which means some one has brought one in. Around 2 grand shipping, and a bit of mucking about and you can have one in the driceway.

I first sat in a Berlingo at "Hippo Citroen" in Paris in 1999 & I never thought they'd make it to Aus, let alone me eventually owning one wink

If it's true that the Kangoo will not be imported out here, it is disappointing!

When the Berlingo I have now runs it's lease up, I would perhaps be looking at a change in van (what the hell approve ), but only if the choice can remain French.

I doubt Peugeot will release the Partner here which does look just like a Berlingo anyway.

Kangoo reminds me of Kangaroo, so AUS should be an obvious breeding ground, me thinks wink

Originally posted by Stuey:
[QB]I like the Kangoo, as it's the closest thing there is to an R4 currently on sale.

Stuey,

You got it in one!! When Renault returned I went to the launch in Perth (5 minutes from home) and spent the first year bending their ears to the Kangoo case - explained that I would buy one as it is a proper French car with character, practicability and minimalist features, and the nearest thing to a modern R4. So they know I'm strange!!

So I'm with you on that.

I think I gave up when I decided to buy the Xantia. At least I can miss the Kangoo in style! And I'm keeping my 16TS.

JohnW

Fellow amphibians...I want the Kangoo to be here as well...it is the closest thing to an R4 and I too like it for that reason, there isn't a lot of bullshit about it.

Having said that Daniel...read the comment about "dogs returning to their own vomit" in the Paul keating posting in the general section...I can sort of understand why Europa has a touch of the runs over this one.
dance

<small>[ 04 September 2002, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>

GTI124:

As for the topic at hand, if the Holden Barina Combo and Citroen Berlingo can make a relative success out of a niche vehicle, I can't see why Renault wouldn't be able to jump on that band wagon, as well. I remember when the Combo first came out, and I thought, "you gotta be joking! who'd buy that???".
One more point is the more and more interest in a particular model is show in forums like AussieFrogs, the more distributors will notice that there is a demand for a model. I regularly see messages from Geoff Polites in the Ford Australia fan forums, for example. The big wigs, do notice these things...
It would be interesting to find out whether any money is really being made from the Barina Combo/Citroen - it must cost an awful lot to set up parts and servicing infrastructure for "niche" models.

...and if Renault bosses are reading this, please post! If Geoff Polites can (assuming it is really him) then you guys can too!

totally agree. I think the Combo and Berlingo, as commerical vehicles, don't have to pass some of the ADRs in place for cars. That is, it'd be an easier car to import than an Espace. Ford's Transit van would fall into a similar situation, it's a UK built thing, so how do they bring it and make money? Obviously the ADRs make it easier...

In interviews I've read on Geoff Polites, he admits to participating in the enthusiast forums, as well as talking to lots of people at the V8s. It's good to see a CEO out there with the people. I just wish he'd make quicker decisions with the Focus, Puma, Mondeo, etc, etc. Too many nice Fords for Australia to not have some.
Sorry, I digress.

- Lincoln

Isn't the Barina Combo the same mechanically as the normal old model Barina, except for the beam axle? So there wouldn't be much expense in stocking the parts.

That's correct. Does the Kangoo share any parts with Clio? I'm assuming the Berlingo shares parts with Xsara...but I'm probably wrong... :)

hehe yeh I think they all share parts together. I guess there would only be a minor difference in servicing details, in terms of a service manual, probably like a supplement to the car version.

If they don't have the same ADR standards, there may be some differences between car & van...

I suppose other things would come into it - like holding extra stock of vans ready for sale etc.

Colours must be difficult too, I wonder how many choices you get on the vans!

any colour as long as it it's white... LOL

I wouldn't think many other colours would be demanded in that sector...

I know I'm going to crucified for this, but the Kangoo looks a copy of the Nissan Prarie.

whip
Ren
cheers!

Can I say that the Prarie had a bit going for it...quite versatile...huge access via that hangar door and no pillar....but it was basically a Pulsar in a different suit.

The Kangoo in the flesh doesn't look like a Nissan Prarie unless you are half drunk stoned
and visually impaired...or come from Queensland... mallet

I told you not to say J*hovah.... mallet whip

<small>[ 06 September 2002, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>

Well, the Prarie raises its head! Funnily enough, a friend of mine had a Prarie for a while and felt it was effectively much like his R4 had been (15 years earlier) but more modern. It lacked much of what I'd have liked but it was reliable and went.

I've looked closely at Kangoos and they are Proper French Cars. The Prarie was not.

JohnW