K&N air filter for 205 GTI?

tomrus073

Tadpole
Hi Everyone,

Keen to get some advice on fitting an aftermarket cold air filter to my 1988 205 GTI.

Has anyone had any experience with this and whether it improves engine breathing and performance? Also, what are the best options (K&N seems to be a default choice) and any advice on where to source etc.

Much appreciated, merci.

Tom.

I have installed one in my car after I rebuilt the engine because it was available locally and the OEM part was not. Don't know how much better (or not) it is, but this one is reusable. I have had very good experiences with K&N filters in all my cars so I don't see why not. I got mine from Supercheap, but not sure they still stock them. If you need to order it, you need to get the part number (let me know if you can't find it).

KaN is fine. Just dont mess with the intake system. Its a cold intake already. The long length helps air speeds at lower revs.

I have a k&n hose in for sale section if you interested it just needs a filter

Attachments

• KnN.jpg
    KnN.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 123
KaN is fine. Just dont mess with the intake system. Its a cold intake already. The long length helps air speeds at lower revs.

Speaking of the CAI, the Motronic MP3.1 XU9 from the ZX Volcane has a straight pipe from the throttle body to the filter, in place of the Air Flow Meter. Must be very rare, but would make a very neat aftermarket management install.

Sure. Pointless really though. Go for it if you want to or spend your money elsewhere.

The stock air intake system is pretty average design really, way too many bends and joints not to mention a heat chamber above the exhaust to heat the air on its way through. They only built it like that as they couldnt fit it anywhere else! I seriously think the whole system was more of after thought really. A well built, enclosed CAI would leave it for dead.

Fair point. Still wouldn't bother on a stock motor.

yes i agree the stock system is fine for a stock car. I always wanted to try something similar to the attached pic but it means relocating battery so i never got there.

Attachments

• 25275620133_large.jpg
    25275620133_large.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 155