Just supposing.....

smiffy1071

Citroën, what else?
1000+ Posts
Hi everyone, at the moment, the Australian government are making life very much easier for certain people to emigrate to your sunny shores.
Now, just supposing I were lucky enough to qualify, what modifications would I need to make to my cars to comply with local laws? Are there any years before which I wouldn't need to make certain mods? For example. my 1993 ZX is already fitted with side impact bars, but my 1985 CX isn't. I already know both would have to have child seat mounting points added. How about cats, the ZX has one, but the CX doesn't. If a special fuel filter is needed, I suppose I could make one from a pug 306 fit the ZX, (it's basically the same car) but the CX would be a bit more interesting! Of course, this is all just supposition just now, but it's worth knowing.....john s

Personally ??

Leave the ZX's where they are (utterly worthless out here, they were never sold here, no-one wants them ......). Go and find some CX GTi Turbos and 2cv's. If you have owned and used them for 12months over there compliancing them out here is MUCH easier. Are you sure the CX doesn't have intrusion bars :confused: :confused: Even my old '78 CX2400 has intrusion bars (absolutely massively heavy bars they are too). Possibly the local importers may have fitted them.

Baby seat anchorages are required (hey they have proved useful for me) and you will need to modify the fuel filler so it can only accept ULP fuel if the car is younger than an '86model (The fact you can no longer purchase leaded fuel appears to have no impact on this stupid rule :nownow: :rolleyes: ).

It really does depend on how picky the engineer that checks the car over is. They may pick thinks like:
--windscreen tint to dark
--convex mirrors

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Personally ??

Leave the ZX's where they are (utterly worthless out here, they were never sold here, no-one wants them ......). Go and find some CX GTi Turbos and 2cv's. Are you sure the CX doesn't have intrusion bars :confused: :confused: Even my old '78 CX2400 has intrusion bars (absolutely massively heavy bars they are too). Possibly the local importers may have fitted them.

you will need to modify the fuel filler so it can only accept ULP fuel if the car is younger than an '86model (The fact you can no longer purchase leaded fuel appears to have no impact on this stupid rule :nownow: :rolleyes: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

Well, the ZX is a much cooler (I mean temperature, not street cred) car to travell in, and it is quite good fun...handling is quite good in the twisty bits!
I'm certain the CX doesn't have those bars, as it was never required here until the early 1990's. Does your turbo car have them? If so, they will have been added when your parents imported the car.
There is a chap on the CCC here in England who has just moved to OZ, and in his writings in the club mag, he has had to have a new screen and new doors with bars fitted to his turbo2 car. Of course, that is an 87 car though. I guess your 2400 being an aussie market car would be a bit different anyway. By the way, did you realise the 20th birthday of our cars is in september? john s

I'll have to check for those intrusion bars if I need to pull a door cover off.

Yeah the CX is a hot car out here. If you like the ZX's sure bring them. Just realise they'll be yours forever :D There an unsalable oddity out here. I suggest bring a complete car for parts as there is no parts for them here at all (after all they were never sold here).

The reason I suggested bring a 2cv is they are near worthless over there, yet are worth good $$$ out here. eg: most sell for the 8-12,000aud region. I wouldn't even want to guess what a CX turbo is worth. They don't come up for sale often enough to put a price to them.

Remember petrol and insurance is a fraction of a price out here, an XM is the average sized car. What about a 24valve V6 XM. Bring a few of them with you. They are worthless in the UK, but worth very good $$$$ out here.

A much better option than a ZX that would probably cool it's inside far better is a BX. For the cost of shipping a BX out here you could probably purchase the best BX16valve in Australia.

seeya,
Shane L.

Ok, there's a few ideas for me to play with. The V6 XM's are very disposable here, and so are BX's, appart from the 16v, which are only worth money for the engine. The hot hatch boys like to use the engine in tuned 205 pugs!
Like I said though, I may not even qualify to do this yet. I'm gonna check it out though! john s

smiffy1071 said:
Hi everyone, at the moment, the Australian government are making life very much easier for certain people to emigrate to your sunny shores.
Now, just supposing I were lucky enough to qualify, what modifications would I need to make to my cars to comply with local laws? Are there any years before which I wouldn't need to make certain mods? For example. my 1993 ZX is already fitted with side impact bars, but my 1985 CX isn't. I already know both would have to have child seat mounting points added. How about cats, the ZX has one, but the CX doesn't. If a special fuel filter is needed, I suppose I could make one from a pug 306 fit the ZX, (it's basically the same car) but the CX would be a bit more interesting! Of course, this is all just supposition just now, but it's worth knowing.....john s

Best of luck!!! The company I work for has to import people from time to time and it's a painful process.

I'm with Shane, by the way, about the ZX. Orphans can be painful. Lots of 405s and 306s for sale in Australia and, although they might be at prices that might make you smart a bit, they haven't suffered from salt exposure and the like.

Are you getting to the Goodwood Festival of Speed next month? Can't recall if I asked you.

Cheers

JohnW

Bring in four or five 2CVs, sell them for $10 000 each and then worry about finding parts for whatever other interesting cars you might want to import :D

Bearing in mind the state of what Australians laughingly refer to as roads, you might not enjoy the ZX as much as all that... :rolleyes:

Chris

chris said:
Bring in four or five 2CVs, sell them for $10 000 each and then worry about finding parts for whatever other interesting cars you might want to import :D

Bearing in mind the state of what Australians laughingly refer to as roads, you might not enjoy the ZX as much as all that... :rolleyes:

Chris
I have to confess, I don't really like driving my CX's in built up ares, they are hard to park, and are also a bit like a barge! They are best suited to long distance cruising. The ZX however, although there isn't anything that special about it, is great in town, and is quite quick enough. ZX's don't rust, and you'd be surprised at what parts fit from other pug/cit cars, so not much problem with parts....in fact, in china, the car is still in production. john s

JohnW said:
Are you getting to the Goodwood Festival of Speed next month? Can't recall if I asked you.

Cheers

JohnW
You did ask, and at the moment, things are a bit up in the air, as I have not quite finished the rebuild on the CX turbo. It had a haemorrage last weekend, with lots of green lemonade all over the floor, so I have to re-pipe the whole car :mad: Just bought the flare tool, and 20 metres of pipe, so that's this weekends job! john s

Rust .... What's that. We still have Series I CX's and DS's traveling our roads. I've got a '63 ID19, it's never had a rusty pipe replaced. The only time we ever need to replace things like hydraulic lines is where they have rubbed against something for long enough they wear through.

Carparks out here are designed for cars of a CX size (sh!t for brains middle aged women need to be able to fit there 3ton wank tanks in them remember :mad: :nownow: ).

I've got nothing against ZX's. You obviously like yours a lot, it's more than "just a car". If you do shift out here you better bring it with you as there is NONE out here to buy.

We have lots of the equivelant poogoes though. Hows this grab you, for the price of shipping, compliancing and engineering the ZX, you could purchase a reasonable DSpecial out here (and you can drive it 365days a year, it will not rust away before your eyes ) :banana: :banana: :banana:

seeya,
Shane L.

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi John
Take their advice, bring over a few 2cvs, no make that a dozen + stuff the rest of the containers with engines gearboxes etc, and buy a proper car ie a D rust free and beautiful, you wont regret it.
Cheers
Helmut

Do a google or something and find the link on the rules of importing cars from the Aus Govt, Dept Transport web site. I have posted it so many times here I couldn't be bothered finding it again. But you WILL find there are restrictions on the quantity and timing of cars you can bring.

DoubleChevron said:
Hows this grab you, for the price of shipping, compliancing and engineering the ZX, you could purchase a reasonable DSpecial out here seeya,
Shane L.
Ok, I have to admit, that grabs me by the balls :crazy: I would love a DS, and only this year since hanging around so many of them, did I realise how much I'd love one! I've loved the CX since I was 14, but the DS has an elegance all of its own!
The ZX could never be that, but it's a good reliable workhorse, that serves the purpose when I feel in the mood to be a hooligan! In other words, it's my "hoon mobile" :headbang: :cool:
john s

smiffy1071 said:
Ok, I have to admit, that grabs me by the balls :crazy: I would love a DS, and only this year since hanging around so many of them, did I realise how much I'd love one! I've loved the CX since I was 14, but the DS has an elegance all of its own!
The ZX could never be that, but it's a good reliable workhorse, that serves the purpose when I feel in the mood to be a hooligan! In other words, it's my "hoon mobile" :headbang: :cool:
john s

All good advice - 2CVs can be sold at, to me, amazing prices. But remember that DS and CX models are hot cars, as is our climate. I'm deeply in love with my CX but it keeps me toasted in summer. Fabulous in what passes for winter in Perth.

If you want a good Citroen in Australia, they do pop up in good bodily condition. Even SM models.....

Then Xantias are available in good nick too, at by UK standards outrageous prices (but low by our standards), in excellent condition.

Cheers

JohnW