56 Fregate

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
attachment.php

Attachments

• Australian-Renault-Machine-Gun-Car-1914.jpg
    Australian-Renault-Machine-Gun-Car-1914.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,765
Known by the drivers of these things as 'The Sitting Duck'.

It was, however, considered a vast improvement on the horse and camel mounted version due to the speed with which it could change position.......

Where DID you find that?

As my friend Jean-Pierre has pointed out, Renault were early exporters!

I wonder whether any have survived?

Thanks.

G, you could make one of those if you wanted. It'd go down well on ANZAC day parades.

G, you could make one of those if you wanted. It'd go down well on ANZAC day parades.

I am sure he could and It's big enough to take his big six cylinder engine:D

The problem is going to be the licensing and storage requirements for the machinegun. Even non-working replicas are Category R weapons, which would require firearm collectors licence in Qld and to build the replica machinegun one needs armourer's licence and premises with proper approved security and... and ...... Lots of fun.... Not

At the RACQ gathering a couple of weeks back there was a Ferret scout car with a real looking machine gun. It must be possible to get approval.

It's some of the law.

Section 8 of the Weapons Categories Regulation 1997 defines Category R weapons as:-

8 Category R weapons(1) Each of the following is a category R weapon—(a) a machine gun or submachine gun that is fully automaticin its operation and actuated by energy developed whenit is being fired or has multiple revolving barrels, andany replica or facsimile of a machine gun or submachinegun that is not a toy;

Replica of a machine gun is defined as a Category R weapon whether it is working model or not. The only difference is that it is possible to register deactivated or non-working replica machine gun to a collectors licence, but not a working machine gun. Now I think that's a good thing.

Duck punt gun and easy to restore...etc.

I wonder if a tennis ball gun mounted on the back would be acceptable :deal:

You would think that with the ingenuity of the Australian bushman, it would have been easier to rig up a duck punt gun, on one of the donated Rolls Royce of the day, o.k. for close quarter attack, simple barrel with a wide spread of shot, worked well in the swamps around Echuca I'm told.

Might have been a bit hard to reload so a quick reverse needed !! Maybe need an expendable armourer or two.:wink2:.

I think this model Renault would have been preferable. It had some armour and a 37mm gun!

Attachments

• Renault 1915 armoured car.jpg
    Renault 1915 armoured car.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 392