Joining wires

Crimp sizes are generally colour coded. I have yellow, red and blue, all different sizes respectively. As Col says, using the right size crimp works. Don't discount soldering, though. The best join can be a crimp with solder wicked into the wires to creat a solid block at the crimp.

As for creating a spike when withdrawing the soldering iron, well, that's just bad technique. It's a shame the Air Force stopped training High Reliability Hand Soldering. I was one of their last graduates as a technician, not that it makes me an expert.
I did an HRHS course through ALTC Bandiana. Very intensive. Soldering had to be spot on to earn a pass. Army instructors were lethal. Passed though.

I learned in the Army 1960's & taught later in TAFE 1970's.
There was no comparison in the training methods.
The Army was far superior in turning out an all round tradesman proficient in allied, as well as, their particular trade.

That is true. I worked as an electronics technician at the RADAR & Guided Weapons section, Bandiana for near ten years from 2000. I got about fifteen equipment courses completed during that time. Hundreds of other army technicians passed through the place in that time. The courses were thoughrough and very in depth and quiet complicated, many going for six months or more. I can only think of one person who was failed off course which is testament to the quality of instruction & assessment by the army instructors. I did my electronics at TAFE and the quality of instruction there did not compare to the army's.