jammed door!

John Masterman

Fellow Frogger
I am hoping that someone can come to the rescue! My 1975 Renault 12 has decided that it doesn't want to carry any passengers in the front seat, and has dropped the little pin in the locking mechanism down and effectively jammed the front door. I have tried to get at it from every which way, taken door panels off etc., but no go. Does anyone have any suggestions - PLEASE.... Yours in hopefulness...... John.

I imagine what has happened is that the outside button no longer opens the door. The door latch on a 12 is basically pressed metal components, with two levers getting pressed by the door button. One lever fatigues on the fold and breaks off, making the door impossible to open from outside the car, but it usually functions fine from inside.

The easiest way to fix the problem is to replace it with a new (or another) latch.

1)Pull the inner door trim off.

2)Remove the key lock (pull the lock slider plate to the front of the car), the door key lock falls out with the plastic lever.

3)Remove the internal door latch operating rod from the door lock, this is fiddly with a small metal clip holding the rod to the latch.

4)Remove the three screws holding the latch to the door (usually Torx screws) two on the outside of the latch, and one below the internal lock snib.

5)The latch should now be free, it needs to be rotated slightly to free it from the door. Replace it with another latch from another car. The broken piece should be obvious. It can be repaired in a makeshift way, but this can result in it jamming when the lock is replaced. For the purposes of this message it is easier to replace it with another good latch.

6)As it says in all good manuals replacement is a reverse of the above procedure. BUT make sure all the various clips and key lock plastic levers are in place and the door latch functions OK before replacing the door trim.

Hope this helps!

Simon

Thanks Simon for the suggestions. Unfortunately (sorry I didn't make this clear previously) it is jammed from the inside also which makes life a little difficult.

After your reply I had another look, and I think the only way I will be able to do anything at all is to take the door off from the hinges internally, and I will need to take off the front guard/panel also to get the door off.... Have to leave it till the holidays or won't be able to get to work...

Any further suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, John.

Wow, sounds like you are in a real pickle there!

Actually it sounds like the little metal triangle that usually breaks off has jammed the whole latch.

Removing the hinges may help, but the latch is also semi-burstproof, so it will be held to the striker on the centre pillar. Probably nothing brute force can't overcome, but beware of bending the door and centre post. Try pulling all the internal trim off first and manipulating the latch from inside the door, it may loosen the piece of metal, enabling the door to be open from the inside (the metal piece that the outer button presses onto is usually loose and free if the latch has broken internally).

As for the windshield, try Caravelle Imports in Melbourne (see the Yellow Pages), I know they were a Renault accessory, and he may have some lying around. Otherwise if you want a nifty aluminium mesh external sunvisor (new) for a 12 let us know!

Simon