James May's A110

I saw that drivetribe video the other day, he's clearly a fan!

I saw that drivetribe video the other day, he's clearly a fan!
He's more sensible than you'd think from the old Top Gear stuff. He wrote the intro to the last book of LJK Setright's articles. I can only presume Top Gear paid so well he'd act the dumbo for it.

Well what else would you expect, working with LJK Setright and Car magazine ?
LJK Setright was clever and blunt.
He even had a crack at Porsche enthusiasts who dismissed the 928 and other front engine cars.
He loved Lancia but said the was more than building the best racing cars , they should have had more focus on production cars.

He's more sensible than you'd think from the old Top Gear stuff. He wrote the intro to the last book of LJK Setright's articles. I can only presume Top Gear paid so well he'd act the dumbo for it.
I always thought he was himself in TG. As I suspect were the other two. And I think this is what made the show so successful for so long. Playing a role only gets you so far no matter how much you're paid.

And I can't remember him saying something that was not sensible on the show (let aside british stuff he loves because he's british). His other shows (Manlab and Toy stories) are rather interesting to watch and expand on his interests and knowledge that show in TG as well.

Dan of Pistonheads specified his own A110, visited the factory to watch it being built and was even allowed to autograph his chassis as it moved along the production line. How cool is that!!

In 1992 I was at the Alpine factory in Dieppe and they offered to make a Alpine 610 specifically for me and it would meet Australian ADR's. I didn't ask what it would cost but they were quite insistant that it would be able to be registered in Australia. I didn't have the money to take a risk that when it got here it wouldn't get registered. So I rather reluctantly had to decline the offer. Also once I was doing a brief job at the Holden factory in Brisbane near the assembly line and a suit and tie offered to make a Holden for me at staff discount, and said I could follow it through the assembly process. I declined as it was when Holdens weren't selling well and I was well aware that all the panels were rusting out in the rain.

In 1992 I was at the Alpine factory in Dieppe and they offered to make a Alpine 610 specifically for me and it would meet Australian ADR's. I didn't ask what it would cost but they were quite insistant that it would be able to be registered in Australia. I didn't have the money to take a risk that when it got here it wouldn't get registered. So I rather reluctantly had to decline the offer. Also once I was doing a brief job at the Holden factory in Brisbane near the assembly line and a suit and tie offered to make a Holden for me at staff discount, and said I could follow it through the assembly process. I declined as it was when Holdens weren't selling well and I was well aware that all the panels were rusting out in the rain.
You did well to decline the second offer.... :)

There is now some press BS that the Alpine is being "axed" in Australia.
A more accurate version is that the Alpine does not have side impact airbags etc.
and was imported on a limited basis. That exemption comes to an end in November.
Way back in the beginning, it was through the efforts of certain people in the Alpine
organisation who championed the cause for Alpines to be built to meet at least some
requirements for Australia.
So we should consider ourselves to be so LUCKY, LUCKEY,LUCKEY...

I believe the last batch of Alpines are destined for our shores.
So, if you have the faintest inclination to possess one, you had better put your derriere
in one for a look see and a drive. 200 metres will convince you.
You will kick yourself if you cooda, shooda...

I have a Clio 197 R27 and find it hard to believe any vehicle could be better to drive .
If you have the conviction to match , please consider swapping keys for a week .

That was one of the best car review videos I have seen. He did not once put down another make, just mentioned the Porsche with reference to the weight similarities with the A110.
Good work to him.
He's as big a fan as any of us are that is for sure.

Perh
I have a Clio 197 R27 and find it hard to believe any vehicle could be better to drive .
If you have the conviction to match , please consider swapping keys for a week .
Perhaps you should swap keys with a Clio 182 Cup.
The 197, 200 and 220 Clio’s are no way as engaging or fun as a Clio ll.
Haven’t driven the Alpine yet, just waiting for SteveK to throw me the keys.

I think you could be splitting hairs as to which series RS is the most engaging/fun. It took a Clio 3 cup for this road tester to appreciate those that came before. As much as we like to scoff at testers, this guy drove the Clio 3 for 12 months including numerous track days and 24 k miles. They don't make them like they used to.

I want the Alpine A110, though not sure about the fuel tank in the front.