Jaguar gone

yawood

Fellow Frogger
So, Jaguar's pulling out, Mark moved on just in time. Given that they're also not going to subsidise Cosworth, it'll be interesting to see if they survive. If not, what will Minardi and Jordan use for engines?

It's opened up a can of worms on the F1 and motorsport community. Ford are closing down the factory in Coventry meaning that more than 1,000 jobs will be lost because the Jaguar brand just isn't competing in the car market. Ford will be chasing a buyer for the F1 team and I don't think that will be very hard... but not only are they selling the F1 team, they are selling Cosworth as well (how many more jobs will be lost there?) which will impact on Cosworth engine customers, Jordan and Minardi. I think they should fire the whole Ford executive board 'cos this stinks of bad management, it's a disgrace.

If nine teams show up to the Australian Grand Prix next year some teams may run a third car under the existing agreement.

Rich

How much $ & power do Ford have yet they cant make a team work?
hmmmm something is fundamentally wrong there!

Think its a reflection that they're not suited to the "sport", they're a slow moving company producing "average" products for the general consumer market, not a high ingenuitive company like Renault or the other frenchies...

its a sad state for F1 to be loosing teams :(

nate,

I think you hit the nail on the head there. You have the same problems with FPR in the V8's. All the technology and cash are not enough. And it isnt the drivers or the technical team. Mismanagemet seems like the only alternative.
The ford teams with decent budget and freedom to make their own decisions seem to be doing ok.
When was the last time Ford made a competetive package it in WRC?

What a drama-filled week for F1. (Sorry for sounding a bit too Bruce McAvaney there :roflmao: )

IMO the uncertainty over Cosworth is just as, if not more problematic than the loss of Jaguar -- Jordan and Minardi were relying on getting 2005 Cosworths (which, ironically, they were promised would be "the same spec as what Jaguar uses for 2005")

It might also be damaging to U.S. open wheel, with both Champcar and IRL relying either totally or significantly on Cosworth-built engines.

Cosworth won't necessarily go down the drain, it's just that they won't be subsidised by Ford any more. If they've got a competitive product they could still hold their own.

yawood said:
Cosworth won't necessarily go down the drain, it's just that they won't be subsidised by Ford any more. If they've got a competitive product they could still hold their own.
I don't think Cosworth would go down the drain either, they are way too diversified in motorsport etc. for something like the loss of an F1 programme to sink them. And they are no stranger to being tossed and turned around by big car companies, didn't VW/Audi own them a couple of years back?

The problem is that those Ford subsidies were probably the thing that was funding their F1 engine programme.. if they got out of the F1 engine business, Jordan and Minardi are left scrambling for engines.

Jordan have been talking of the possible use of Toyota engines for some time but Minadi don't have an alternative that I am aware of.

rek said:
I don't think Cosworth would go down the drain either, they are way too diversified in motorsport etc. for something like the loss of an F1 programme to sink them. And they are no stranger to being tossed and turned around by big car companies, didn't VW/Audi own them a couple of years back?

The problem is that those Ford subsidies were probably the thing that was funding their F1 engine programme.. if they got out of the F1 engine business, Jordan and Minardi are left scrambling for engines.

Yeah, VW/Audi did have a share...Cosworth keeps jumping about.

The Focus is very competitive in WRC, so not sure what you're all on about there. They don't have a top driver, which is their downfall, IMO. But the car is a sweet package and I'm of the opinion that it has a better ROI than F1.

In the end, Ford is in financial trouble, after spending 4 weeks in the US you can see where there problems are. I'm in a Taurus at the moment, a 8 year or older car now...yeah it's been facelifted, but it's still be a dog's breakfast. They are launching a bunch of new products in the US soon which should reguvinate the brand. If I was Ford, I'd be pulling out of F1 too and focus on building the brand back up.

Nate, I also disagree that Ford isn't cutting edge over Renault. I reckon they're about the same, myself. Renault have more experience in F1, sure, but I wouldn't push that assumption across the brand. What ingenuinity has Renault demonstrated recently that hasn't been matched by something of similar excellence within the Ford brand of cars? That's just an absurd call to make!

Careful, I'll call the Volvo hound on you. :evil: :nownow:

Last edited:
Cosworth won't go out of business all together, what I meant was that the people working on the F1 engine program will be out of work. I heard last week Cosworth contacted Eddie Jordan to say they can still provide the engines... the trick was he had to pay over twice what was agreed on initially. Hmmm, I think Eddie's response was, "GTFO!!!". Ford are still selling the company regardless.

Rich