I've already put my deposit down . . .

Well why isn’t it fixed I’m a psa mechanic with over 20 years experience if your local dealer thinks it needed a chain why wasn’t it done your car would have been covered by the chain recall or at least the extension of coverage out of warranty again if it needed a fuel pump or a head clean these had extended warranty. Yes fault codes would be useful need to remember this ain’t my first rodeo and the faults with this engine are common I would assume at a minimum you have super knock and timing faults as well as mixture related ones.
If faults are hiding they need to check the bsi faults log

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Hi, I have 2 issues, the depollution one (going on for years - Peugeot Australia say it can be any number of 50 things) and this new one, 'engine management system faulty'. The fault codes for the depollution come up on my cheap OBD tool (these have not all been at the same time, some do repeat though) and i can clear them - P2191 - mixture fault, P2261 - dump valve, P0299 - turbo underboost. I took the car to Motoco in Feb 2016 for them to check fault codes. Cost $80. Quote to fix the turbo dump valve, $506.00. I was recommended to the Peugeot mechanic in Nambour. Just over the phone, he told me he has seen some torn diaphragms in the dump valve. Told me where it is and what sized allen key i needed! i cant see how to add a pic here, but the yellow diaphragm was 3/4 missing! shopped around and found a metal piston replacement from GFB - Go Fast Bits (love that name!) Cost a bit less than genuine, about $140. i fitted it myself in 10 minutes. Also, Motoco told me my front brakes were metal on metal and wanted me to agree to replacements right then - $627 parts and labour. i rang my partner to discuss. There was no metal sound as i drove the 35km from home to them in Cairns. I drove home, after they insisted i sign a waiver if anything went wrong! they were definitely low, but not metal on metal. We (well, mainly partner!) changed them one Saturday morning for $125. See, this is why i dont trust dealers (aka Stealers i am told!) - I dont know if they treat everyone like they are stupid, but it just seems it often happens to females. (friends of mine too). anyway, the depollution issue seems better these past few months, no idea why. i did also replace O2 sensor and lamba sensor some months ago, but didnt seem to make an immediate difference. so, to the current problem - engine management fault - i took it to a mechanic in Mareeba who has a very advanced OBD tool (he was recommended some years ago). The fault codes were - U1221 - absence of communication with power steering intermittent ECU (i felt a slight heaviness in steering at low speed a couple of times but then came good) - P0494 - fan assembly, P0073 - ambient air temperature, P0070 - Ambient temp, incorrect value. He cleared them all, short test drive, did not come back. I have since driven about 100km and the msg is back today! bugger! so, the other things is the air-conditioner stopped working too. Only the code re ambient temp seems related. on and off, very occasionally, i get a 'risk of ice' warning (only upon starting from cold at home)....i live in the tropics! once i drive off, it very quickly comes up to correct outside temp. a few weeks ago, it was reading -18 and not changing. it was then the air conditioner stopped working. when the guy cleared the codes a few days ago, it is working again, but gone today when the msg come back. i hope this is all making sense. so, i guess one of these new codes is telling the system not to allow the aircon to work, i could clearly hear the relay today when it switched on. in answer to questions/comments from 207CC sport - as you will have read, yes it is a petrol turbo. My engine is - THP, according to the owners service book, it says no cambelt required. i had a message about 6 years ago re the ABS system not working. turned out is was just a sensor in a sealed unit - cost over $2000. a woman working in a mechanics shop in Cairns suggested i request an after warranty warranty from Peugeot, which they agreed to. cost me labour. answering dmccurtayne - it isnt fixed because i cant afford to pay for things that MAY fix it, when UK forums state they only fixed for a short time, as with my dump valve. at least that only cost me for the part. re chain - not needed according to the peugeot maintenance schedule book. No knock or timing issues. the only thing with the depollution fault is it loses power. i am told it isnt strickly 'limp home mode' which i understand is designed to get you home or to the mechanic, then wont start once turned off. this in not what happens. stills starts and runs. when it does have full power, she runs beautifully, lots of power and turbo good. surely if the timing chain was out, it would be out all the time...? you are the first to mention chain recalls or any other recalls. i wish they had recalled it. they built the ferkin thing, they should be fixing it! i apologise for my reaction to you before, but i am sick of dealers taking advantage. (the same company charged me an hour to replace the rear bumper cover, after someone rear ended me. i had bought the part from them, but just didnt get around to installing it. when i got home, i removed and replaced it in 10 minutes, having never done it before!) any hidden faults would have come up with the flash unit the mechanic used a few days ago.

While we can hardly afford anything either Michelle, you are a braver person than I!
With me, Motoco/Cairns Cars were up-front that their minimum is one hour’s labour regardless. The bonus was that in finding the faulty board, the guy fixed it enough for a couple of month’s more use ...

Last edited:
That’s great you don’t trust dealers I get it I don’t care but cullens helped you over the phone and you’ve got one here helping.
With the p0299 the gfb one should be fine but also checking the waste gate is a good idea especially on a early car I will link a pic.
The 2191 check the pcv valve you can do this by trying to take the oil cap with the engine running it shouldn’t blow out or suck in.
The timing should be checked I would be calling peugeot and asking if any service actions are outstanding on this car.
You also need the bsi log checked this needs to be done using a diagbox or a quality scanner like a modus etc. you may have a p0087 etc that could mean a h/p fuel pump is needed.
The fan control resistor is a common failure and that’s why you have no ac and again available online cheaply and diy able.
In regards to the cost of dealers it’s the way it is most people don’t complain about a Big Mac meal being 10 bucks when it’s costs macas what a dollar the reality is that companies are their to make money even your cheap ass independents are making a bucket load and in most circumstances a lot more per car than dealers. Diag tools training dealer fees are not free.
Keep a very close eye on the power steering again there is a extension of coverage to these. Below I will link photos of checks to the waste gate.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Last edited:
Michele asked - There are five sensors. First is what is called the dump valve, or blow off valve. The diaphragm is shot I believe. You can buy one for $90. See here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bypass-D...837076?hash=item443b30e854:g:SScAAOSwdmdctYrg

You can fit it in about 20 minutes. Quote for $500 was criminal.

Second sensor is located here: Under the white oval. The other three sensors are located under the air filter oblong box.

attachment.php

On the French Tart I have replaced all five.

Attachments

• Prince engine.jpg
    Prince engine.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 260
She already replaced it the one I asked to check is the waste gate totally different and very prone to failure on early ep6 turbos

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

thanks again for input. i am not ignoring you all!! partner had planned hand operation last week, so i have been nursing and driving.
Haynes manual arrived today...does NOT include the petrol turbo...! grrr.
yes, i replaced the dump valve with a 'go fast bits' metal piston several years ago. cullens mentioned the wastegate too, which i havent looked at yet, much harder to get to.
these are on my list, along with your suggestions. thanks again, will report back when i can.