Issue with petrol small around petrol tank - Renault Koleos

mmeduselac

Tadpole
Tadpole
Has anybody that owns new Renault Koleos noticed issue with petrol small after car been driven.

The problem has been present for more than two years or so.

After the car has been driven it typically small around petrol tank (hot days).

Smell is almost always present in the closed garage following the car been driven (smell linger for approx. 1 hr or so and then disappear).

It may been related with building up of pressure inside the petrol tank, not certain.

Petrol tank cap has been changed with no affect.

When petrol tank is open, quite a bit of pressure is released from the tank (compared to other car driven in the past)

No difference in small has been seen with level of petrol in the tank

Has anybody that owns new Renault Koleos notice petrol smell around petrol tank after car been driven.

Issue with petrol smell is present when the car is parked in a garage following driving (smell linger for approx. 1 hr or so and then disappear).

Petrol tank cap has been changed with no effect.

Has anybody that owns new Renault Koleos notice petrol smell around petrol tank after car been driven.

Issue with petrol smell is present when the car is parked in a garage following driving (smell linger for approx. 1 hr or so and then disappear).

Petrol tank cap has been changed with no effect.

Welcome to the forum!
Please don't post the same query repeatedly. I've moved them all together and hopefully someone will be able to make a suggestion.

If it's a new vehicle, perhaps you can try calling Renault's roadside service or contacting a dealer.

New owner here. I noticed it the other night. Must be coming out the tank breather. I assume it has one

Thank you Allynic.
Reno guys could not find out. I will ask them to check again. Do we repleace the breather, or??

It's a breather pipe that feeds into the filler neck. I don't know what can be done with it unless it has burst.

As in all or most cars, there is no breather to the atmosphere. The breather pipe will be connected to an evaporative emission canister (Renault call it the Vapour Absorber canister) which is located in the engine compartment, so it is not the source of your fuel smell near the tank. It would be a good idea to check for any leak/spilt/fallen off pipes around the tank and filler neck area as it is under some pressure. I note there is also some sort of solenoid valve for this system under the bonnet (refer link below, on the next page). At some stage the canister should evacuate to the inlet manifold (I think) to burn off any residual vapours from the charcoal canister.
My 2019 petrol Koleos sometimes has a strong smell while in the garage, maybe heat related from exhaust components, eg catalytic converter, when hot.

This diagram of the canister in the engine compartment, somewhere near the washer bottle by the description.

Unless you can see an obvious pipe leak around the fuel filler breather pipe, best left to the servicing workshop.

Cheers.

Reactions: COL