Is this the car we've spoken about??

Alan S

1000+ Posts
Just spotted this on thr Trading Post; is this the one that has been discussed/offered for sale on here previously??

"Mazda RX powered Peugeot 504, 13B turbo, gas research LPG set-up, Microtech Digi 2 Pro, boost control, auto metre gauges, air conditioned, new HD clutch, quick car, engineered, long rego, $6200 negotiable, AIK-33P RYDE 0404-49 2392 or 0412-501694"

Alan S :confused:

Alan S:
Just spotted this on thr Trading Post; is this the one that has been discussed/offered for sale on here previously??

"Mazda RX powered Peugeot 504, 13B turbo, gas research LPG set-up, Microtech Digi 2 Pro, boost control, auto metre gauges, air conditioned, new HD clutch, quick car, engineered, long rego, $6200 negotiable, AIK-33P RYDE 0404-49 2392 or 0412-501694"

Alan S :confused:
There couldn't be two of them out there:)
________
BustyXBlond cam

Last edited:
That's the one.

If I wasn't going overseas at the end of the year, I'd be on the phone now. wink

Yep thats the one.

It's been for sale for ages now.

I went and had a look at it with a rotary expert mate of mine. He advised me that it was not worth the money he was asking.

If the price was more like 4K I would reconsider.

I took some pics of the car inside and out if anyone wants them.

That would be cool.

Did he do much to change the appearance? If I remember correctly last time it still had 504 14" steel rims and fairly standard brakes and suspension?

macquered:
Yep thats the one.

I went and had a look at it with a rotary expert mate of mine. He advised me that it was not worth the money he was asking.

If the price was more like 4K I would reconsider.

I think the real question is, what's it cost to recreate something like it.....

What was it using for a diff?

something torquey and understressed would probably have been better suited to 504 than a rotary.....

I still think it's a great idea.....a 504 with power!.....few suspension tweaks here and there (and PS rack :) ), and you're left with a very capable car...
________
Washington dispensaries

Last edited:
macquered:
Yep thats the one.

Did this rotary guy offer to make one up for you for 4 grand dance
I can't see his logic;
Buy 504 at best for something solid say $1000
The Rotary donk with turbo a very rough guess $2000
HD clutch, gauges etc $1000
Rego and engineering cert etc. $1000
LPG conversion $1200 - $1500
Labour and incidentals $?????

I don't like modded cars at anytime but for someone wanting something that could boogie and was different this thing at $5 - $5500 I reckon would be a steal. Forget the fact it's got a Jap rotary in it (gurgle, gurgle a_drink a_drink ) and compare it with a 205 with an Mi16 fitted; they pay what $10K - $13 1/2 for one of them as a better comparison. After all it is more of a toy than a daily driver that must have some novelty value.
The downside I suppose is that someone playing with a froggy is less likely to be playing with a rotary also. mallet mallet

Alan S

P.S. Could gibgib upload the pics on this thread if you sent them to him?

<small>[ 27 April 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Alan S ]</small>

Diff is a reco pug unit.

macquered - exactly what did your rotor friend say about it?

The guy who did the conversion, when he sold it to the current owner last year, claimed it cost him $20 000. I'd say the cost was up there purely because the cost of these conversions is invariably much more than you'd expect (the devil's in the details. Start with the Microtech, LPG and the cost of the dyno time.) The 504 turbocharged XN1 in Qld sold for upwards of $7000 last year (or so I recall.) It was a nicer conversion, though, to hear about it.

The basic truth with customized cars is they usually have bad resale value (at least compared to the cost of construction/modification.)

Alan - the car is running on LPG so it probably :drink:s at roughly the same cost as a standard 504.

I wouldn't mind seeing some photos. angusgr at tpg dot com dot au. I can still dream. :)

(Although I do agree that it's a strange match of characters, somehow even the V8 504 out there makes more sense...)

Sorry about the delay in my reply, I've been very busy.

Last night I uploaded all the photos I have of this car onto my site. Please view and save, as they won't be there for long. The top photos were taken by someone on a cruise for Mazda rotaries. The next few photos are the owners. The photos after that are mine.

From speaking to the owner, the conversion was done by a bloke whose name I *think* was Christopher Knott who lived in Yass. I'll have to check my notes later to confirm this. The car was then sold to a guy in Newcastle who posted the for sale notice here late last year, who then sold it to the current owner, a rotary fan who lives in Ryde.

The mate that came with me was suspicious mainly because the engine was warm when we rocked up. He also said something about the engineers certificate listing a normally aspirated enginer rather than the turbo motor.

As far as I could tell, the car was once an '82 Diesel. The owner said that it was a stange car to drive, with a diff ration suited for a Diesel mated with a high revving rotary engine. I think he said something about being able to do close to 100 kmh in first gear.

The owner advertises that it has aircon, but admits to never trying it out to see if it works.

Gus - I thought I sent you the pictures? Sorry dude wink

nJm - It looks pretty standard apart from the vents in the bonnet. People look at you real funny when this funny old white car moves quite rapidly in traffic.

I asked the guy about the 'custom suspension'. He couldn't elaborate on what exactly was custom about it, but you can see some yellow springs in the pictures I took. On the brief test drive (as a passenger) it felt a wee bit stiffer than a 504 to me, but it has been a long time since I have been in a 504 with standard dampers so I'm not the best to judge.

Alan, I know it would cost a lot to replicate this but at face value, the car does not seem worth the price he is asking. I would love for this car to be kept within the AussieFrogs community as it is an awesome concept. I've long been an admirer of the 13bt and also the 504.

You can see a few specs of rust on the rear tailgate to the right of the number plate.

I also managed to get some crappy, but watchable footage of the test drive from my Ixus camera. I'll see if I can upload this over the weekend.

Lastly, I'm afraid the current owner is more a rotary fan than a Peugeot fan. I think he bought the car because it is different, and as a consequence doesn't exactly look after the body etc as well as it should be. This car, restored and maintained would be amazing.

Brendan

<small>[ 02 May 2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: macquered ]</small>

Whoops - forgot the link;

<a href="http://www.bc.tc/PUG13B" target="_blank">http://www.bc.tc/PUG13B</a>

Interesting stuff...

The thing about the engineer's certificiate being for a non-turbo is a bit worrying. I'd hate to find that out one night when a cop decides to do an under-bonnet check.

The diff seems a bit odd too, I figure that having had the diff reconditioned, whoever the owner was would have chosen a different ratio if thought it was a good idea.

What diff ratio does the RX-7 the eng/box came from expect?

Having the car warm sounds a bit dodgy too, but if it's got a Microtech in it doesn't fixing that just entail plugging in a laptop and changing the warm-up enrichments? That's as long as it's not blowing oil smoke eek! (I don't know anything about what happens to rotaries as the seals die.)

Like I said before, if I was staying in the country next year instead of going to Indonesia' I'd have been up to look at it already.

Righto, I take it all back. I'd agree with the 4K as being its top dollar; not because that's its value but due to what would need to be spent on it. cry
Leaves a bit to be desired in the appeal dept.
Mind you, I'll bet with one of those looking like that, you'd frighten shit out of a few ricers at the lights!! eek! eek!
They'd probably have to go buy some new stripes before they tried it on again. roll_lau

Alan S 2_cents