Is this the best project car you have ever seen?

The reason the Scope is such a good iron is because of the manual control and almost unlimited heat. The reason the Scope is such a bad iron for many people is because of the manual control and almost unlimited heat.

I would not be without a Scope iron. Although they run off a nominal 4volt AC they are can be run off a 12 volt battery . Use a few metres of electric light flex as a dropping resistor and extension cable. Expect the flex to very warm/hot whilst in use. This makes them a very portable soldering iron.

Scopes are not for everyone , but once mastered and the fingers synced with the required heat they are invaluable.

Parts are cheap and easy to find and elements and tips are the only consumable items.

Shane, if the ring pressure is too high, check the ceramic bead insulators inside the barrel are not chipped or split or the barrel is full of burnt carbon from the elements. Normally they are very light in operation.

And to think that I thought I was the only one that still had and still used the 60 year old Scope that I bought to build my 60W Playmaster Guitar Amp all those years ago!

Instant soldering!

JAJEA

Count me in as a Scope devotee, too. To bring this slightly back to topic, I reckon they are the DS of soldering irons, because they do things completely differently fromanything else.

Somehow I have ended up with 3 orange Superscopes (1 has the long leads for 12v) and 1 black Miniscope, along with an old metal transformer and a newer orange plastic covered one. I have not noticed any difference between the performance of the transformers. I have never used a black Superscope or an orange Miniscope. Has anyone noticed a performance difference between them?

Roger

Just to keep this thread completely off topic I have the CX of soldering irons. An Adcola, electronic feedback temperature control, adjustable (you can make it go up and down). Change the tips to suit the job and still going strong after 30 years just like my CX.

I figured I'd put that sunroof in .... 'cos it does look quite nice..... Oh well I guess I'm pulling the cars roof out and screwing back on now :crazy:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yep, I managed to pinch the vinyl in one spot and it split :( Oh well..... Nothing tried, nothing gained.

It looks like I have another 1963 ID19 here to live beside this one in the shed now (I'm still scratching my head on this one wondering why I'm so lucky ).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I run the buffer over it with the finest/gentlest cutters I have. It seems to still have quite nice paint. I've bought some vinyl die to re-dye the vinyl roof with.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The interior is not original, but it's very nice and quite comfortable compared to a standard ID with it's cold hard vinyl interior. I''ve driven it around a bit over the last few days as it hasn't been raining. You can't help but drive everywhere with a stupid big smile on your face :clown: It's just like an ID should be, sedate, heavy steering and squishy ride... It's fun muscling around the steering wheel on a car after years of driving cars with powered racks. I'll have to get this one upto standards for a safety inspection and get it straight onto club plates.... What a car to take for picnics with the family etc :dance: I'll get it nice and clean and keep it under a cover in the shed.

seeya,
shane L.

Attachments

• P1160530.jpeg
    P1160530.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 945
  • P1160531.jpg
    P1160531.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,047
  • P1160532.jpg
    P1160532.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,530
  • P1160533.jpeg
    P1160533.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,196
  • P1160534.jpg
    P1160534.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 393
  • P1160535.jpeg
    P1160535.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 966
  • P1160536.jpeg
    P1160536.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,024
  • P1160537.jpg
    P1160537.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,052
  • P1160538.jpeg
    P1160538.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 352
  • P1160539.jpg
    P1160539.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 997
  • P1160540.jpg
    P1160540.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 978
  • P1160541.jpeg
    P1160541.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,017
  • P1160542.jpeg
    P1160542.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,053
  • P1160543.jpeg
    P1160543.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 324
Well done, I like your new acquisition! How did you persuade the former owner to part with it?

It's owner didn't want to sell it, he's put a staggering amount into it over the years ( time, money and effort that is). He's shifting somewhere there is no space to keep it though. I've done a quite a bit of work on it over the last 10years. I think he's more concerned with it being looked after and kept on the road than anything else.

I'm actually quite suprised a Puegeot owner in Ballarat didn't buy it. I gave him a good "warts and all" description of it... I was sure he'd buy it :confused:

The main thing I'll need to do is get it up on the ramps and check it's hull. It's hull was plated and repaired extensively when it was restored over 10years ago. I'll see how the repairs are holding up and figure out how to fill the repaired areas with oil so they don't rust again. The trick will be keeping moisture out of the repaired hull on it. There's a few marks around the car I'll fix up in time too ... a few small rust bubbles returning in the bottom of one of the doors, and a couple of small parking dings around it. They should be easy to touch up if I get some paint that'll match that deep blue.

seeya,
Shane L.

That might not be the original interior but a very tasteful one none the less. I'll bet it still smells right to.

Does anyone know if those foglights for early cars are available from anywhere :confused:

46488d1375534389-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen-p1160532.jpg

As you can see the holes are in the panels for them. Best bet would be to weld the holes closed, obviously that wouldn't do the paint a lot of good though :clown:

seeya,
Shane L.

I figured I'd put that sunroof in .... 'cos it does look quite nice..... Oh well I guess I'm pulling the cars roof out and screwing back on now :crazy:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yep, I managed to pinch the vinyl in one spot and it split :( Oh well..... Nothing tried, nothing gained.

It looks like I have another 1963 ID19 here to live beside this one in the shed now (I'm still scratching my head on this one wondering why I'm so lucky ).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I run the buffer over it with the finest/gentlest cutters I have. It seems to still have quite nice paint. I've bought some vinyl die to re-dye the vinyl roof with.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The interior is not original, but it's very nice and quite comfortable compared to a standard ID with it's cold hard vinyl interior. I''ve driven it around a bit over the last few days as it hasn't been raining. You can't help but drive everywhere with a stupid big smile on your face :clown: It's just like an ID should be, sedate, heavy steering and squishy ride... It's fun muscling around the steering wheel on a car after years of driving cars with powered racks. I'll have to get this one upto standards for a safety inspection and get it straight onto club plates.... What a car to take for picnics with the family etc :dance: I'll get it nice and clean and keep it under a cover in the shed.

seeya,
shane L.

Oh my goodness! Your Project is not even completed and got another one??!?! But looking at condition of your new vehicle, I would done the same! Very very nice shane and I am very very jealous! :mad:

Oh my goodness! Your Project is not even completed and got another one??!?! But looking at condition of your new vehicle, I would done the same! Very very nice shane and I am very very jealous! :mad:

I'm trying not to drive it until I get it's safety check done. I've driven it today, and it's poured rain ...... Bugger it .... I guess I get to see how much it leaks. Being an ID I have no doubt it will leak, it's a matter how much and where from. Fingers crossed the roof in this one doesn't leak or I'll be trying to figure out how to dry out carpet etc...

seeya,
Shane L.

Does anyone know if those foglights for early cars are available from anywhere :confused:

As you can see the holes are in the panels for them. Best bet would be to weld the holes closed, obviously that wouldn't do the paint a lot of good though :clown:

seeya,
Shane L.

Shane,
They come up from time to time on ebay, I know there are different types so not sure if these are correct for your car but the bidding is quite low at the moment.
2 Phare Boule Cibie Citroen DS ID Matra 530 Porsche 911 912 | eBay

Cheers
Chris

seeya,
Shane L.

Shane,
They come up from time to time on ebay, I know there are different types so not sure if these are correct for your car but the bidding is quite low at the moment.

As a price guide only this pair have a buy it now price of 299euro
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/2-PHARES-NEU...00?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item3a7824ef20

Cheers
Chris

Shane,

As a price guide only this pair have a buy it now price of 299euro
2 Phares Neuf Complet Marchal Citroen DS19 ID19 | eBay

Cheers
Chris

Wow... you found "real ones" if you have a look at the pattern of the holes above, this one will be that teardrop shape, that I think is aftermarket :)

seeya,
Shane L.

I've started tidying up the roof to refit .... Gee's this is a good roof.

attachment.php

From memory there is quite a few dents that I'll need to level ... But check this out.

attachment.php

The other roofs I've had here were all breaking away at the front corners. This rapidly progressed to breaking away from the car. This one shows no signs of that. Infact the crimped on metal lip still has white paint on it (from the factory no doubt... note: the red primer above ... that's the factory primer. The roof is still wearing the original paint. It is however getting thin :clown: ).

attachment.php

You can't use a wire brush on aluminium, so I'm trying to carefully use one of those fibrous stripping discs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Check this out, I thought someone had broken a chunk out of the roof frame. If you look it's where the bolts pass it and there is identical chunks gone both sides. It looks like they just hacked it out for ease of assembly when they built them down in melbourne. It almost looks like it was snapped out with a pair of pliers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd assumed the blue ID19 had a later plastic roof fitted.... As it's not rotted away yet. Imagine my surprise when the car got caught in a heavy downpour for about an hour today..... And it doesn't leak at all. It appears to be aluminium though. I think of all the crazy things, the ugly 60's vinyl has saved the roof. You see I pealed back the roof rubber and moisture doesn't get down to where the aluminium/metal edging are crimped together. You can however see where it's starting to lift around the edges though (moisture must be starting to wick up under the edges of the vinyl.

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• P1160544.jpeg
    P1160544.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 995
  • P1160545.jpeg
    P1160545.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 923
  • P1160546.jpeg
    P1160546.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 968
  • P1160547.jpeg
    P1160547.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 350
  • P1160548.jpeg
    P1160548.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 989
  • P1160549.jpeg
    P1160549.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 1,019
  • P1160550.jpeg
    P1160550.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,025
  • P1160551.jpeg
    P1160551.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • P1160552.jpeg
    P1160552.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,023

attachment.php

From memory there is quite a few dents that I'll need to level ... But check this out.

attachment.php

The other roofs I've had here were all breaking away at the front corners. This rapidly progressed to breaking away from the car. This one shows no signs of that. Infact the crimped on metal lip still has white paint on it (from the factory no doubt... note: the red primer above ... that's the factory primer. The roof is still wearing the original paint. It is however getting thin :clown: ).

attachment.php

You can't use a wire brush on aluminium, so I'm trying to carefully use one of those fibrous stripping discs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Check this out, I thought someone had broken a chunk out of the roof frame. If you look it's where the bolts pass it and there is identical chunks gone both sides. It looks like they just hacked it out for ease of assembly when they built them down in melbourne. It almost looks like it was snapped out with a pair of pliers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd assumed the blue ID19 had a later plastic roof fitted.... As it's not rotted away yet. Imagine my surprise when the car got caught in a heavy downpour for about an hour today..... And it doesn't leak at all. It appears to be aluminium though. I think of all the crazy things, the ugly 60's vinyl has saved the roof. You see I pealed back the roof rubber and moisture doesn't get down to where the aluminium/metal edging are crimped together. You can however see where it's starting to lift around the edges though (moisture must be starting to wick up under the edges of the vinyl.

seeya,
Shane L.
Roof looks quite nice! I think best not to drive in rainy day. It is not fun at all and no benefit what soever driving in the rainy day. Very very nice looking car:mad::mad::mad:!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

seeya,
Shane L.
Roof looks quite nice! I think best not to drive in rainy day. It is not fun at all and no benefit what soever driving in the rainy day. Very very nice looking car:mad::mad::mad:! But it is less motivating to do the other car Or Less pressure to do the other car now. You can spend more time since you have this one!

Roof looks quite nice! I think best not to drive in rainy day. It is not fun at all and no benefit what soever driving in the rainy day. Very very nice looking car:mad::mad::mad:! But it is less motivating to do the other car Or Less pressure to do the other car now. You can spend more time since you have this one!

But if you don't drive on rainy days you don't get to laugh at the ineffectual hand clap wipers flapping away :roflmao: You also dont' get to blindly reach over and do the "Nope, choke, nope interior light, nope etc.... while madly searching for the wiper switch while screen gets harder and harder to see through :roflmao:

You would think they would put something as important as the wipers and indictors as the closest switches right :confused:

But if you don't drive on rainy days you don't get to laugh at the ineffectual hand clap wipers flapping away :roflmao: You also dont' get to blindly reach over and do the "Nope, choke, nope interior light, nope etc.... while madly searching for the wiper switch while screen gets harder and harder to see through :roflmao:

You would think they would put something as important as the wipers and indictors as the closest switches right :confused:

On my big road trip from Canberra to Daylesford/Eganstown I was put to the test with darkness and rain. Had to memerise where the switches were especially the blinkers, wipers seemed to work ok and high beam was great, low beam almost non existent. It was all fun though and no leaks that I could see.
Great cars to drive,
john