Is this a Renault?

HebeGB

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi there,

I have a couple of photos, sent to me by phone by a cousin, so they're not very clear. Taken somewhere in the bush around Sydney. One shows my grandfather standing next to a car, and there is a lady sitting in the back seat. All I know is that he was a mechanic/chauffeur back in the day. The second photo shows him with trousers rolled up, perhaps having had to push the car across the stream on the road.

The car is the boss' car, and I presume that the boss is the person who took the photos. I do not know the family's name. But they were English and he was manager of one of Sydney's flour mills at the time. They returned to England at some point and wanted my grandfather (and family) to go with them. I gather that my grandmother had other ideas!!

The car has a coal scuttle bonnet, which makes me think it could be a Renault. It has no number plate, so I am assuming it's probably pre-1910 (when they were introduced in NSW). It seems to have an AA badge on the radiator, which would make it post 1906 from what I understand. I read in Georgano's Encyclopedia that Renault didn't make the bodies for their cars, so perhaps it was imported as a chassis and bodywork added here. Is my understanding correct?

So, any help identifying the car would be much appreciated.

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_1026(1).jpg
    IMG_1026(1).jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 68
Harold, my grandfather, left a notebook, which I have, that contains alphabetic lists of cars, showing their HP, bore and stroke and number of cylinders. All in immaculate copper-plate!! I've been comparing it to my (recently acquired secondhand copy) Georgano's. The cars all seem to be of 1908 to 1915 vintage. (I'm guessing WWI stopped imports from coming.) Here's the page with Renault. I haven't a clue what the purpose of his listing might have been, but I think it partially explains where the autism gene in the family comes from. :D

Attachments

• img20240209_17421369.pdf
    368 KB · Views: 68