is there much to chaning a purge valve?

Pugsly

Fellow Frogger
from my other posts, the pug mechanic said i should change my purge valve, and it's a simple replacement job so i can do it myself. well i did change mine but when the car is stationery, the engine light comes on. It stays on for a few seconds then it goes off again. Is there anything else i should do? all i did was disconnect the hoses and switch, then attached the new one, making sure the arrow was in the same direction. I do feel a noticeable difference in my throttle response like the guy said i would, but the engine light seems serious. any ideas? just need to know more info before i call the dealer again, don't want them charging me for more stuff.
thanks

well, accordin to peugeot in Sweden.
If the light comes on then the error is saved in the ECU and that the car want perform as well untill the ECU is reseted or the fault fixed...

Thats all i can say :)

from what the net describes, i think it's cleans the fuel vapours. The pug mechanic told me to replace this as i will notice better throttle response because the enginge speed would decrease more slowly when i take my foot off the gas. The 306 is known to go through these units

Well i guess it's time to put my car back in for a checkup
frown

I called Alec Mildren Peugeot parts, i told them my part number and my car engine code, they told me i had the wrong part!!! i can't believe they gave ne thge wrong part!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! What did i do wrong? why are the peugeot gods punishing me?!!! frown

Make sure you get it swapped for free Pugsly.

Once you have, its definitely time to give the dealer who sold it to you a miss.

Cheers

Rod

rod, yes after my car is running fine again i shall give A&J a miss!!

i went back this afternoon to the parts place(had to take more time off work) and i told them they sold me the wrong part. The guy looked through the computer and only found 1 listing, the part they sold me. he went upstairs to speak to the guy who told me it was the wrong part over the phone, he couldn't find the other part number. about 45 min later he said jst give me your details and we'll look into it, meaning go away, you have the right part. then the phone rang, the guy upstairs found the part number again, out the back he went and came in with the bosch unit! about bloody time! i couldn't believe i was about to go home with the other part thinking it was the right one!! :mad:

well i just installed and took the car for a fang..no check engine light! :)

I'm still booked in tomorrow for the checkup, in case they need to reset the old error codes from the dodgy purge valve

I feel for you Pugsly. That sort of performance level is @##$% inexcusable. A letter of complaint to the Peugeot distributors is in order. (You could just cut and paste from your postings here about the matter). Lets hope all is Ok now.

Sounds as if a trip to P504 next time round might well save you time, even if it is further away. Assuming the same people are running it as were a couple of years back when I had some work done there , you can at least be confident that they are sufficiently dedicated enthusiasts to care about what happens to your car.

Cheers

Rod

Rod,
Went there this morning and toldthem the parts guy had sold me the wrong part and i was hoping they could do a diag check to make sure the bad purge valve didn't kill anything. I asked if i will be charged for it and the guy at the counter said yes, i installed it so it's my problem. I told him the pug parts guy sold it to me, and he said they're a different group! :mad:
so i had them check it anyways, i was planning on taking teh bill to the parts place. Well 30 min later, the mechanic came back and said everything was fine. The guy at the counter said don't worry about it, i don't have to pay. Thank goodness!
I might try P 504, or even eurotech in gosford. I called them on sat and i spoke to one of the guys there for 30 minutes. I explained him the situation and he went through theprocess of how they diagnose things and mentioned how he's spent 20-30 years racing/rallying pugs. and he charges only $60 an hour and he has the daig equipment. He said it runs on 486! and no, Kazza comes up with nothing when you do a search :D