Is it just me or is F1 really not worth watching?

Luca said:
I can't remember him being anything special in his career with Beneton.

Ummm only that he was World Champion with them. ;)

Cal.

XTC206 said:
And people forget .. they drive on this knife edge for 400+ kms - how long is the average V8 race? ... (used to be 1400kms on WRC Safari Kenya) ... sure no one stage is usually more them 50kms .. but that's a long long time to concentrate .... no back straight for a rest every lap.

Too bad it doen't get the deserved coverage (free to air that is). Not saying F1 isn't skillful .. but they get to hone their skills, line and setup for lap after lap - it's a art, but in true "recon" style the WRC guys have to adapt on the spot .. even driving without power steering, bad brakes and 3 wheels, to barely drop anytime at all.

Give me WRC over the "roundy roundies" any day.

- XTC206 -

Did you go and see them in action last year? It was the highlight of my trip to WA - getting to soak up the atmosphere, the smells (what do they run those things on - they have a sweet smell to the exhaust?), the sounds (crackle BANG of the boost control as they come through a bunch of corners on a trailing throttle setting it up for a launch out of a tight corner - sends a shiver down my spine!), all the little noises they make (whining gearboxes, whistling turbos and the hard aggressive howl of a full throttle launch) and getting sprayed with gravel as Tommi went a bit wide and powered out of the ditch 3 metres from me.
It doesnt get any better (with the exception of being in the car of course :D )

Mind you, watching the F1 in Melbourne a few years ago certainly has a lot of that - standing at the end of the long fast curved section you could hear the wind noise from all the downforce they are generating before you can hear the engine - its like a tornado heading towards you at 300 kph. Then you get the popping of a trailing throttle and the bang bang of a couple of downchanges into the corner. Yummy.

have you ever seen a V8 supercar driver get out of their cars after an enduro race in the middle of summer?
try telling them what they do is a walk in the park.

you will find it is alot harder to race 10/10ths on bitumen. even Burns admitted in the year he won the tital that he barely ever gave it all he had, he was just playing it cool and waiting for mistakes from the other drivers. how can you tell me thats the best form of racing?!

i do agree it is a much better spectacle and those fast section are breath-taking.

still, nothing is as fun to watch as drifting

Cal said:
Luca said:
I can't remember him being anything special in his career with Beneton.

Ummm only that he was World Champion with them. ;)

Cal.

And one of those was with a Ford engine, so he must have been doing something right :D He took so many of the personnel who are vital to his team now.

I think each form of motorsport has its own challenges, it's pretty hard to say that one is more skillful than another. It's like comparing a fighter pilot to a rally driver - they are skilled in their own areas, neither would probably be much good in the others job straight away.

I only have to look at Wayne Gardner to see that being skillful at one thing does not make you an automatic success at every form of motorsport.

I do prefer WRC personally, for the record, however, but equally enjoy watching other forms of motorsport. :adrink:

Cheers... Tim

froggy_drew said:
have you ever seen a V8 supercar driver get out of their cars after an enduro race in the middle of summer?
try telling them what they do is a walk in the park.

you will find it is alot harder to race 10/10ths on bitumen. even Burns admitted in the year he won the tital that he barely ever gave it all he had, he was just playing it cool and waiting for mistakes from the other drivers. how can you tell me thats the best form of racing?!

i do agree it is a much better spectacle and those fast section are breath-taking.

still, nothing is as fun to watch as drifting
Oh yeehaaa...any halfwit with a backward cap can buy an over-powered piece of Jap(chose word carefully) technology? with a turbo and drop the clutch on a track and wow lets go LIKE sideways....ooooooo :mallet: :mallet: :sleepy: :roflmao: as amusing as a fart in an elevator

Zantetsuken said:
I think each form of motorsport has its own challenges, it's pretty hard to say that one is more skillful than another. It's like comparing a fighter pilot to a rally driver - they are skilled in their own areas, neither would probably be much good in the others job straight away.
That said - they did get a fighter pilot to drive?!? the fastest car ever built. Thrust SSC was driven by Andy Green who's day job is to fly Tornado Fighters for the RAF! :)

orange17 said:
Oh yeehaaa...any halfwit with a backward cap can buy an over-powered piece of Jap(chose word carefully) technology? with a turbo and drop the clutch on a track and wow lets go LIKE sideways....ooooooo :mallet: :mallet: :sleepy: :roflmao: as amusing as a fart in an elevator
Several boneheads did it just about every Thurday night on a major hwy here ... they didn't see the hidden camera's filiming them :whip: ... cars got impounded, charges layed :blackeye: . No need to spell out what kinda attitude they had ..

- XTC206 -

gti138 said:
That said - they did get a fighter pilot to drive?!? the fastest car ever built. Thrust SSC was driven by Andy Green who's day job is to fly Tornado Fighters for the RAF! :)

Because it was a jet fighter with no wings. ;)

Cal.

gti138 said:
Vintage Schumacher? as in no fight apart from the first 5 laps? It wasnt the pitstop that changed the lead it was Schumi pulling a couple of laps out of his arse when it counted :)

You dont remember the 80's in F1 do you? There were 4 or 5 drivers of the calibre of Schumacher running in the one race. From the early 80's with drivers like Gilles Villeneuve & Rene Arnoux having some classic battles in the very early 80's to Nikki Lauda, Aytron Senna - watch an on board lap of him at Monaco and you will know what 110% commitment is! - Alain Prost, Nelson Piquet, Nigel Mansell, Keke Rosberg & Jacques Laffite. Just to name a few. All you need to do is watch a few old races or snippets to see that F1 back then when there were lots of great drivers and also lots of engineering innovation. :) :2cents:

4 or 5 drivers that have won 5 or 6 world championships? I said the most impressive, not necessarily the most entertaining.

I agree different forms of motorsport have different challenges, and the challenges for a F1 driver now is different than it was twenty years ago. "look at the scoreboard' and you'll see no other driver has ever risen to their challenges like schumacher. and that's not to say that any of your 'great' drivers could beat schumacher - also it is quite possible for button, montoya or alonso but they need to do more than they are at the moment.

Button didn't pit till lap 9, and if you don't have the attention span to follow the race for the next few laps to see how the two drivers react to the situation then you'll probably have trouble with the sentence - and I don't know how you could possibly follow the WRC. :tongue:

I think it will be very interesting to see whether BAR or Renault can beat Ferrari first this year. I hope it will be Renault and I hope that it is a genuine driver and team effort and not down to the tyres (although then they will still have to beat williams and bar perhaps mclaren - but most of them will be too busy with whinging and excuse making to actually put in a good race).

XTC206 said:
Several boneheads did it just about every Thurday night on a major hwy here ... they didn't see the hidden camera's filiming them :whip: ... cars got impounded, charges layed :blackeye: . No need to spell out what kinda attitude they had ..

- XTC206 -

Don't mean to play the moderator, but you can not assume i am talking about driftin on the streets. That is as dangerous as it is illegal.

And orange17, you may not wear a cap backwards, but there is something on your head (possibly your circumcision scar) that hides any intellignece.
Drifting is something that takes alot of skill. I don't profess to be even slightly good at it.
The type of drift you are talking about is what all the beef-heads do in their auto-commodores and falcons on a wet round about and hang the tail out for about half a second.

Get yourself out to track for a drift day, or download some vids off the net of the guys in Japan. Then you might suddenly realise that it is a very well recognised sport (now on the CAMS diary) that requires a unique car set-up and exceptional car control to do properly.

The day you are competent enough to do a lap of a racetrack with the back-end out the entire lap, then come back and criticise it.

Last edited by a moderator:
froggy_drew said:
Don't mean to play the moderator, but you can not assume i am talking about driftin on the streets. That is as dangerous as it is illegal.

And orange17, you may not wear a cap backwards, but there is something on your head (possibly your circumcision scar) that hides any intellignece.
Drifting is something that takes alot of skill. I don't profess to be even slightly good at it.
The type of drift you are talking about is what all the beef-heads do in their auto-commodores and falcons on a wet round about and hang the tail out for about half a second.

Get yourself out to track for a drift day, or download some vids off the net of the guys in Japan. Then you might suddenly realise that it is a very well recognised sport (now on the CAMS diary) that requires a unique car set-up and exceptional car control to do properly.

The day you are competent enough to do a lap of a racetrack with the back-end out the entire lap, then come back and criticise it.
Hey dude ??? Whats your problem, I am not the only one commenting on things here in the negative.....take a chill pill and mellow, I never meant any harm, just a throw away line, no malice intended

Billy said:
4 or 5 drivers that have won 5 or 6 world championships? I said the most impressive, not necessarily the most entertaining.
I'm with you Billy. I don't necessarily count myself as a Schumacher fan but damn he's impressive. I'd back him against any of those others mentioned except maybe Senna. I think the one area that may let him down is his ability to handle pressure if things aren't all going his way. I don't mean his ability to do what he did the other day when he put in those superb laps between Button pitting and when he came in - that was just brilliant, but sometimes he sort of loses it if his car or tyres are not up to scratch.

I also don't agree that F1 is as boring as you are all making out. I agree that it could be made more of a spectacle if it wasn't as difficult to pass. I also agree that it would be nice if Schumacher wasn't so dominant and at least one other was dicing with him. But there's still plenty to keep your interest (like those sublime laps that Schue put in to cement the lead).

Hopefully Mark will get a decent drive and show us if he's really got what we hope he's got and that Ryan will get a start to give us two Aussies on the grid.

My picks (in order of interest):
F1
Bathurst 24 hr
Bathurst 1000
other Procar
Le Mans
Targa Tasmania
other 24 or 12 hr races
WRC
other V8
Moto GP

The good thing for Australia is that we potentially have a few good drivers who would do well in F1 - In addition to Mark & Ryan there is: Will Power & Will Davison. We could even claim Scott Dixon but he's a kiwi :)

I'm interested in the technicalities of F1 and lately have been more interested in the cars themselves than the racing & drivers. If you look really closely at the detail it's interesting to see how the different teams have interpreted the rules. But hey - at least we are seeing some originality in the design of cars - Williams' "walrus nose" may be butt ugly but aparantly it worked in a wind tunnel and it looks different to everything else out there.

and billy - i wasnt having a dig at schumacher as such. The good thing in the 80's was that there was at least some variety :) Oh and in those drivers i mentioned i can work out at least 15 world championships :tongue:.

Lauda: 3 (75, 77, 84)
Senna: 3 (88, 90, 91)
Prost: 4 (85, 86, 89, 93)
Piquet: 3 (81, 83, 87)
Mansell: 1 (92)
Rosberg: 1 (82)
But F1 is will always be my first love in motorsport as it's the most pure form of circuit racing. But Rallying is a very, very close 2nd.

gti138 said:
The good thing for Australia is that we potentially have a few good drivers who would do well in F1 - In addition to Mark & Ryan there is: Will Power & Will Davison. We could even claim Scott Dixon but he's a kiwi :)

I am reasonably close to some certain people who are envolved in the governing boddies and fund raising bodies who make sure these kids get into F1. If it wasn't for Telstra and Fosters for example, Mark would never have got his first few F1 Test Drives. Whilst Ryan Briscoe is very good and he is thought to make it into the sport, in a way he has missed the boat and the next hot Aussie into F1 will be Will Power. I can't say much about Will Power and what he is doing in the near future...'cause this is a public forum... but I know from my sources that he is the one to keep our eyes on... :eek: