Is anyone else being driven insane by mowers that don't cut ?

Shane,
I have no agenda here ! But how will you know if you need to take them to be done ??? Of course it will start and go as that guy says. But it may be puurrfect if you had done the next step.
By the way are those sleeves press in or wet hand removable. Removing and refitting sleeves to a rusted up old block and getting the protrusion right 'may be' more than a quick job. Nothing you could not do of course :)
Jaahn

Shane,
I have no agenda here ! But how will you know if you need to take them to be done ??? Of course it will start and go as that guy says. But it may be puurrfect if you had done the next step.
By the way are those sleeves press in or wet hand removable. Removing and refitting sleeves to a rusted up old block and getting the protrusion right 'may be' more than a quick job. Nothing you could not do of course :)
Jaahn

Yeah, I was a bit concerned about the sleaves too. It's amazing what you can do if your as dodgy and half arsed as me and have lots of crap around the yard :clown:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Liner protrusion should be close to exact with replacement parts I'd hope. Certainly you'd return them if they weren't within spec.

Attachments

• P1190024.jpg
    P1190024.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 741
  • P1190022.jpg
    P1190022.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 762
  • P1190018.JPG
    P1190018.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 798
If it's anything like the wetliner i did, the protrusions on top are critical and were adjusted with shims at the bottom seat.

If it's anything like the wetliner i did, the protrusions on top are critical and were adjusted with shims at the bottom seat.

Yep I will be checking. I'm doubting it'll need shims. Surely manufacturing is good enough they can get down to 0.1mm without any effort!

Shane, this part of the thread is not about mowers. Can you or another moderator move the tractor material into a new thread called diesel tractor engine repairs or some such?

Thanks,
Roger

Shane, this part of the thread is not about mowers. Can you or another moderator move the tractor material into a new thread called diesel tractor engine repairs or some such?

Thanks,
Roger

good idea .. i'll get it moved to the pond. Better make sure I don't loose that ID19 towbar tongue too!

Well this was a lawnmower thread once upon a time :).

Just before the light failed this evening, I was doing some mowing (200 mm of rain for Armidale this month = massive grass growth).

I stopped when I noticed that the exhaust manifold and muffler were glowing red hot. Surely this isn't normal? It's possible that it has done this before, as I would normally mow in daylight (rather than twilight), and I had all the covers off, so I had a much better view of the manifold & muffler than usual.

If it's not normal (& no, this isn't a highly tuned racing mower) then what would cause it? The mower in question is a Husquvarna with a single-cylinder 4-stroke Kohler engine. One difference today was that the engine revs would 'hunt' up and and down when it was not under load.

Cheers

Alec

an air cooled mower needs all of its covers in place in order to cool I would have though :confused: otherwise the engine driven fan (flywheel) will not draw air across the motor correctly.

it could be worse, my brother inlaw just bought the very last of the big tractor type greenfields. big 20+hp motor.. greenfield drive system. He's only had it a short time and its so scary to use he's going to have to sell it. they have mounted the muffler down at the front of the mower ... inside a box ... this fills with dried grass offcuts and starts smoldering. He's managed to stop and put it out before he starts a fire ..... but its the stupidest design I've ever seen. He'll probably burn his place and half the area down by causing a huge bush fire if he keeps using it :eek: :eek:

Well this was a lawnmower thread once upon a time :).
Just before the light failed this evening, I was doing some mowing (200 mm of rain for Armidale this month = massive grass growth).
I stopped when I noticed that the exhaust manifold and muffler were glowing red hot. Surely this isn't normal? It's possible that it has done this before, as I would normally mow in daylight (rather than twilight), and I had all the covers off, so I had a much better view of the manifold & muffler than usual.
If it's not normal (& no, this isn't a highly tuned racing mower) then what would cause it? The mower in question is a Husquvarna with a single-cylinder 4-stroke Kohler engine. One difference today was that the engine revs would 'hunt' up and and down when it was not under load. Cheers Alec
Hi Alex :)
You have a fuel blockage or dirt in the carby or the filter is partly blocked. The engine is running lean and hot. The hunting is caused by this too. The govenor is trying to get the revs right but the carby is not giving the fuel.
Give it a clean out and the tank too. Be like a new mower again. Even splurge on a spark plug too :) :)
Jaahn

Shane, can your brother in law ask the dealer he bought it from to re-plumb the exhaust somewhere else, maybe up like a tractor?

Roger

Shane, can your brother in law ask the dealer he bought it from to re-plumb the exhaust somewhere else, maybe up like a tractor?

Roger

its one of the last greenfields. they have now been bought out by Cox apparently. He bought it quite a distance away with basically no hours on it. Some weird story about the mower dealer hiring one of there new mowers out for a couple of weeks ... i'm pretty sure what happened is they sold it new and the owner started a fire with it in the first few hours of use ... so returned it .... the place them discounted it and sold it into a distant location so they wouldn't have it come back again.\

yes he will need to move the exhaust. its downright dangerous. What amazes me is greenfield selling something like that. They have put a shrowd around it, but all that does it trap long dry grass in with the muffler if your cutting long dry grass.

Mowers and line trimmers

Now that the rains seem to have broken the drought, and the cold weather came and went, we seem to be getting some of the nicer sunny Autumn days with the occasional day reaching a comfortable 30C degrees. Absolute combination you can almost hear the grass growing overnight, the mowing routine is upon us...:headbang:

I've been keeping my older mower going using all the bush repair methods but seems inevitable that by next summer (if we get one) we will need at least one new mower - any recommendations, would like to get a reasonably priced reliable mower. My good lady loves mowing lawns so perhaps a self propelled one might make life easy. :wink2:

Line trimmers - I'm using a Ryobi heavy duty line trimmer for slashing grass , the one I purchased for Dianne in Tasmania (identical to mine) has decided to cut out, so I will need to attend to that when I head down to Tassie at some time, its also a bit heavy for her to handle - anyone repaired one of the Ryobi's. I am guessing its a switch problem or dirty armature contact brushes.

Mine was bought before Dianne's one and it shows no signs of stopping (touch wood!!) I obtained and put on both units an easier style of bump stop cross feed heavier line(red weight, lasts really well), as the one that was supplied used the lighter yellow line had to be cross wound on the inner spool (complicated so that most people just bought a new fresh line insert). $$$

The one I have now you just cut a length of bulk red line, feed it through the head equally, and then simple wind it up - works well and doesn't waste line like some do.

Regards

Ken

G'day Ken,

we got an Aldi self propelled when we first came here, it's a heavy mongrel but it does drag itself around. Their 2-stroke line trimmer too at the same time, it now has a head that takes two 18" lengths of whatever you want to stick in it..... wire is tempting, 'cept I don't wanna end up with a bit of it sticking out of my leg.... :rolleyes:

Best value 'normal' mower here at the moment is the 36v Bosch, it's a light as a feather with a good run time. But, being light, it is next to useless on tightly packed runner grass like couch/buffalo[?] whatever it is, it just runs over the top of the mattress.... aaaah, it was a half price special a while back, nope, I wouldn't pay that much for an electric marvel either.... :) and, SWMBO just loves it... :approve:

cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
A sheep or two are self propelling as well :)

I've been keeping my older mower going using all the bush repair methods but seems inevitable that by next summer (if we get one) we will need at least one new mower - any recommendations, would like to get a reasonably priced reliable mower. My good lady loves mowing lawns so perhaps a self propelled one might make life easy. :wink2:

Ken

I recently bought a 36v Makita 460mm (18") cordless mower. I've got a few Ryobi 18v batteries but their mowers just seem flimsy. This Makita feels solid, has decent wheels, and works great, very quiet (relative to petrol mower), and quite light to use. I don't particularly like the soft catcher, but its ok. You can fit the mulcher plug and not use a catcher, which would be good in smaller spaces.

The kit DLM461PG2 comes with 2 x 18v 6.0ah batteries, which are same as in other Makita power tools, could be a bonus.
(Also available as a skin if you had the batteries).
At the time I bought mine it was a Bunnings $650 special with a leaf blower thrown in (Makita redemption), I think the current redemption is a tradie radio, although I see Total Tools still has the blower on its catalogue, but at $799 the kit.
Current Bunnings is $699 the kit.

I couldn't find a Bosch one around at the time so can't compare, but the Makita was a level above the other cordless brands that I compared. I also looked at a Stihl, but at higher cost, and batteries only fitting their other garden products, I went for the Makita for its battery flexibility.

I could have bought a petrol mower at half the cost, but goodbye petrol, sparkplug, hard starting. :D
I could also have got away with a smaller cut, but the 460mm just feels heavy duty.

Here 'tis:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1EvyMyiPiFPu1F537

:cheers: