Is a 4 WD 2002 Scenic a good tow vehicle ?

I also have a V8 LR and always use low range when reversing up to a trailer or van. It makes sense Double Chevron I agree.

Overlooking the fact that in an RX4 "Low Range" is simply first gear and reverse is higher than first........;-)

After experiencing no clutch in a car park I had to start it in gear (reverse to begin with) which is actually quite scary how high geared it is in reverse.

I quickly pulled out the main HT ignition lead so it wouldn't fire me into parked cars, until I could put it in forward gears and get it home.

1st gear is pretty high, which would make serious off roading without cooking clutches difficult.

RX4 excels on 'soft roads' unsealed and decent grip on a paddock, but it gets a bit awkward when you really go offroad and have any wheels off the ground.

A boat ramp isn't going to be kind to the clutch going slow, it really likes a bit of momentum.

Best towing vehicle I ever owned was the yellow 'Tonka' 80s model Nissan patrol.
Although a manual, it was a straight 6 diesel with a low range gearbox.
I could take my foot off the accelerator and the straight 6 could idle a heavy load up a steep incline with little to no effort.

Weight helps, and the little RX4s are light and a little top heavy.
Keeps reminding me of a 16.

Last edited:
I can tell you where a RX4 comes into its own.....Pushing stuff (with indifference to the clutch)

Whenever it was lawn mowing day on my former property and I needed to move dead Fuego' around, the rx4 would push then regardless of if they had rotating wheels or not, and not leave a mark on either the fuego or the RX4.
I miss the black garbage-bin-spec body armour the RX4 had. The best urban assault vehicle I've ever owned!!

Jo

After experiencing no clutch in a car park I had to start it in gear (reverse to begin with) which is actually quite scary how high geared it is in reverse.

I quickly pulled out the main HT ignition lead so it wouldn't fire me into parked cars, until I could put it in forward gears and get it home.

1st gear is pretty high, which would make serious off roading without cooking clutches difficult.

RX4 excels on 'soft roads' unsealed and decent grip on a paddock, but it gets a bit awkward when you really go offroad and have any wheels off the ground.

A boat ramp isn't going to be kind to the clutch going slow, it really likes a bit of momentum.

Best towing vehicle I ever owned was the yellow 'Tonka' 80s model Nissan patrol.
Although a manual, it was a straight 6 diesel with a low range gearbox.
I could take my foot off the accelerator and the straight 6 could idle a heavy load up a steep incline with little to no effort.

Weight helps, and the little RX4s are light and a little top heavy.
Keeps reminding me of a 16.

Top heavy? Have a look at the size of their roll bars! Make a Bathurst Supercar's look anemic......

passed the roadworthy with flying colours. The mechanic was quite impressed with it this morning."A very tidy car in good condition".
The engine number that we found (with your help) is the one we're going with so "crossed fingers".
It looks like my brother is going to take this car on. Well he has the boat!
So the appointment for the Scenic has been made.
I take on board all the comments on TOWING. I finished with my Landrovers selling the TD5 Discovery while I could still get $9500 for it. Dropping in at the Romsey "All British Automotive" occasionally, I'd see yet another Discovery TD5 up on the hoist getting an engine replacement. "Got rid of it". Also having owned the V8 County Landrover I know all about the Low Range transfer Case.
So this Scenic is a very differant experience and we are certainly aware of any problems forthcoming. So thanks again.
My experiences with Renaults go back to the late 50's, when my Mother would take us to Ocean Grove to spend the day at the beach from Geelong. I remember counting how many we had in the little Renault 4. Nine. Yes 8 kids(must have had one friend with us as our family was 7 kids) and Mum driving.
During winter with the Renault parked in the street, we'd remove the hessian bag, keeping the engine warm overnight, and Mum would clutch start it with us kids pushing.
The next Renault was a Dauphine which I bought after gaining my license in Queensland. I removed the doors and fitted dual wheels on the back and this was used to go up the beach from Noosa to Double Island Point. I remember we had to tow my brother's Renault 4 that had the same "beach buggy" treatment for the remaining few miles before the high tide caught us out.
So ofcourse I've been into Citroens for the last 30 years although the Vintage bug is slowly taking over.
I'm just getting my '64 id 19 Citroen prepared for a roadworthy, as I've swapped it with a restored 1923 Hupmobile.
Well you didn't want to hear all that!

A TOWBAR. That is where we are at now. I'll put in a request in the PARTS thread.
Michael

Top heavy? Have a look at the size of their roll bars! Make a Bathurst Supercar's look anemic......

Alright I'll stand corrected.. decent body roll tho when you throw it around the twisties like a 16.

My experiences with Renaults go back to the late 50's, when my Mother would take us to Ocean Grove to spend the day at the beach from Geelong. I remember counting how many we had in the little Renault 4. Nine. Yes 8 kids(must have had one friend with us as our family was 7 kids) and Mum driving.

I'd so like to see a photo of that!

Or that:

The next Renault was a Dauphine which I bought after gaining my license in Queensland. I removed the doors and fitted dual wheels on the back and this was used to go up the beach from Noosa to Double Island Point. I remember we had to tow my brother's Renault 4 that had the same "beach buggy" treatment for the remaining few miles before the high tide caught us out.

I'd so like to see a photo of that!

Or that:

Two pics are at the Chilwell house and 1 at Newtown about 1963.
The one with the DS is about 2 weeks ago at the old Newtown house when we had a weekend around Geelong and Queenscliffe.

Brother John

Attachments

• newtown house2020.jpg
    newtown house2020.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 151
  • RENAULT 1.jpg
    RENAULT 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 150
  • RENAULT 2.jpg
    RENAULT 2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 155
  • RENAULT 4.jpg
    RENAULT 4.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 151
passed the roadworthy with flying colours. The mechanic was quite impressed with it this morning."A very tidy car in good condition".
The engine number that we found (with your help) is the one we're going with so "crossed fingers".
It looks like my brother is going to take this car on. Well he has the boat!
So the appointment for the Scenic has been made.
I take on board all the comments on TOWING. I finished with my Landrovers selling the TD5 Discovery while I could still get $9500 for it. Dropping in at the Romsey "All British Automotive" occasionally, I'd see yet another Discovery TD5 up on the hoist getting an engine replacement. "Got rid of it". Also having owned the V8 County Landrover I know all about the Low Range transfer Case.
So this Scenic is a very differant experience and we are certainly aware of any problems forthcoming. So thanks again.
During winter with the Renault parked in the street, we'd remove the hessian bag, keeping the engine warm overnight, and Mum would clutch start it with us kids pushing.
So ofcourse I've been into Citroens for the last 30 years although the Vintage bug is slowly taking over.
I'm just getting my '64 id 19 Citroen prepared for a roadworthy, as I've swapped it with a restored 1923 Hupmobile.
Well you didn't want to hear all that!

A TOWBAR. That is where we are at now. I'll put in a request in the PARTS thread.
Michael

repair the county and throw it onto a club permit .... they are getting quite collectable now. You want a truck for truck like duties. The V8s are a dime a dozen. I have a 3.9 sitting in my shed doing nothing ..... good runner ... it would probably bolt straight into your county.

seeya
Shane L.

The Scenic Has the towbar fitted and Fluid Drive in Bendigo has done a service, changing all fluids and did the timing belt for just under $1000. Nothing more to do.
Brother Hans is thrilled with it. With all that has been done, it owes him $4500.
Thanks again for the help, starting with the repair of rear window mechanisms.
Michael

It has been around a year since brother Hans was readying this Scenic for a roadworthy.
It has been a brilliant car ,,,,,,,,,,, ticking all the boxes. No problem at all. towing the boat and straight up the boat ramp with the "surefooted" traction.
Hans has been using the Scenic as a daily driver. Today we picked up a "freebie" twin, even the same colour. I have the battery on the charger but not having been cranked over for the last 2 years ......... "who knows."
We'll try to start it but the owner said there was "a clunk" and that was the end of it. "A clunk" ............ not much to go on
Michael

It has been around a year since brother Hans was readying this Scenic for a roadworthy.
It has been a brilliant car ,,,,,,,,,,, ticking all the boxes. No problem at all. towing the boat and straight up the boat ramp with the "surefooted" traction.
Hans has been using the Scenic as a daily driver. Today we picked up a "freebie" twin, even the same colour. I have the battery on the charger but not having been cranked over for the last 2 years ......... "who knows."
We'll try to start it but the owner said there was "a clunk" and that was the end of it. "A clunk" ............ not much to go on
Michael
Is clunk the sound the piston makes when it collides with a valve (after the timing belt looses a few teeth or snaps)??
Jo

Could have a point there ! After charging the battery and turning the key, it started straight away and it drove around the yard. The engine sounds a bit like a diesel so your point about "slipping with the timing belt" might be something to act on.
Hans has got it booked in with his mechanic on Monday to check it out. He has a permit to do the half hour drive but I'm wondering if we should trailer it instead.
Michael

Could have a point there ! After charging the battery and turning the key, it started straight away and it drove around the yard. The engine sounds a bit like a diesel so your point about "slipping with the timing belt" might be something to act on.
Hans has got it booked in with his mechanic on Monday to check it out. He has a permit to do the half hour drive but I'm wondering if we should trailer it inste
Michael
Hi :(
Possible trailering it might be wise. The timing belt failure is legendry for that engine. Actually it is not the belt failing but the belt pulleys covering failure that starts the shit happening IMHO. Other wise remove the covers and look at them. Not much room though to look properly. Change the belt and pullies etc and it might be a good 'freebie' !;) Use your permit to drive it home !
Jaahn
PS the story of you and your brother using the Rennos with duals on the sand as kids was here on AFs before but I cannot find it now. Can you publish it again ? Please ! :cool:

Last edited:
Hi :(
Possible trailering it might be wise. The timing belt failure is legendry for that engine. Actually it is not the belt failing but the belt pulleys covering failure that starts the shit happening IMHO. Other wise remove the covers and look at them. Not much room though to look properly. Change the belt and pullies etc and it might be a good 'freebie' !;) Use your permit to drive it home !
Jaahn
PS the story of you and your brother using the Rennos with duals on the sand as kids was here on AFs before but I cannot find it now. Can you publish it again ? Please ! :cool:
I'm just looking now. I'll include our Renault in the early 1960's.

John

FINDING A WAVE

In the 1960's beach driving was only for the adventurous. A vehicle didn't need to be registered or roadworthy.
All you needed was wheels that wouldn't get bogged in the soft sand and away you'd go.There was an area just accross
the Tewantin river where "beach buggies" were parked. Among them there were vintage and 30's and 40's.
One in particular was a Ford Pilot with dual wheels on the back and a bench seat bolted on top of the roof for passengers.
There was a 20's Buick or so etc. These old cars were geared well and took to the rough conditions with ease.
Four wheel drive vehicles were expensive and there weren't too many around - -
often Landrovers, wartime Jeeps and beaten up Ford or Chev Blitzes - - - as tough as they come.
Apart from the vehicles below we did also "do up" a wartime Jeep which we took onto the beach.
All our trips were to do with getting to Double Island Point. This was the "Mecca" for us Surfies back then - -
reaching it from Tewantin near Noosa or coming down from Rainbow Beach, east of Gympie.

John, helping to prepare Carl's Renault 4.
21st Nov."After work we start Carl's Renault, but
when we drain the oil out, we find bits of alloy which
have come off the piston.Also parts of the rings."
On 8th Dec. Carl has put a new piston
in his Renault & boy, does it go!"

Taking the 'buggy" to Tewantin from Aspley Dec. '68

The Royal Enfield with
Double Island Point in the distance

Michael's stranded Royal Enfield on Rainbow Beach
"close to Double Island Point"
A broken throttle cable - - etc etc Oct '68

We paid usually $5 or $10 for the bikes.

It is interesting what Michael tells me.
Michael bought a small window VW for $42 which
turned out to have a slipping clutch so we swapped it for
a Renault Dauphine at Zillmere wreckers.
We welded up dual wheels for the 2 cars.
After having trouble with Carl's Renault 4 we towed
it with the Renault Dauphine the rest of the way to
Double Island Point.

Michael in the Dauphine & Carl in the Renault 4.
We took it in turns to sit in the front.

Double Island Point behind.
We drove the Dauphine over the dunes to get to
the northern side to where the best surf was.
With a slipping clutch the light house keeper
towed us back over.

Carl & John trying to fix Carl's Renault
up at double Island point. Dec '68

29th Dec.( Michael)"A fisherman tows Carl's
down the beach to where the track comes out
with his truck. From there we struggle back,
again, towing Carl's with the Dauphine along the track to Tewantin.

HOORAY ! We made it !".

We always had to get across with the ferry.

Attachments

• RENAULT 1.jpg
    RENAULT 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 99
  • RENAULT 2.jpg
    RENAULT 2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 103
  • DBL-ISL-Pt-2.jpg
    DBL-ISL-Pt-2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DBL-ISL-Pt-3.jpg
    DBL-ISL-Pt-3.jpg