Intercooler on R18 turbo

Renault17

Fellow Frogger
Hi,
just wondering if anyone knows how efficient/effective the intercooler is on the r18 turbo/same as fuego turbo. I have't done any testing with thermocouples (or a flow bench) as I would be unsure of where to mount them/record readings from.

When modding most turbo cars people seem to throw away the std intercoolers- however the one on the 18 is a fair size about 20cm by 40cm long and 3 inches thick (bigger than some recommended from Jap imports). Before I crap on any more; the idea with this car is to eventually race it but do it the cheapest way possible- i.e not spend megabucks on huge boy racer intercoolers when one half the size would of done the job.....

I realise that there are quite a lot of variables thrown in to the mix- just thought someone might have had experience with changing it for another item and perhaps could recommend something.

Another thing, some things I have read state that the longer the pipes to and from the intercooler the more possibility for the dreaded 'turbo lag', is this also true for the control lines to the wastegate?
The reason I ask is that I currently have the controls ( a compressed air regulator) in the glovebox, is this worth worrying about?-should I put them under the bonnet.

I'd imagine it would be a bugger if you wanted to dial up more boost and had to jump out and open the boonet each time you wanted/needed more boost....

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers Ben

Are you going to turbo one or use a transplant?
I have a fuego turbo(Factory standard except for a fully worked head + 10psi) what do you want to know?
email me your Q's

The intercooler you describe sounds of a similar size to that on my 5 GT Turbo. For the basic improvements (which give up to 50hp more on the 5GTT) they mostly recommend strapping and freeflowing the standard intercooler. IE, very large metal straps, erm, dont know the correct name, but very large versions of water/oil pipe screwable bands. The freeflowing is then just removing the thermostat within the intercooler and screwing the flap back so as to always feed cool air through.

Also, clean it out as if theres any oil flowing through the air system if you have had any seals go in pipes or within the turbo you may have junk inside. Decent amount of unleaded petrol or alcohol and then plenty of water and a good drying fixes that.

<small>[ 08 September 2003, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]</small>

due to having one of these motors sitting on the shelf waiting for me to have enough time to build it and put it into my 17g, i will be using a water cooled intercooler. which then i can fit where i want and place the water cooler in the inner gaurd to keep the mess down... :) you can get them off a suby lib import from memory.
the standard one is plactic tanked and has a thermostat in it, also you will need to find a place for it becuase it is supose to sit next to the radiator.. :(
regards paul.

Ben, the basics are that the longer pipes result in more air mass stagnating under a closed throttle; when you want to re-accelerate that larger air mass (when opening the throttle again) it takes longer with the longer/more voluminous pipes and therefore causes lag. So, the shorter the intake runners, the less time it takes to get the intake air speed and compression back up to the level where there's positive boost.

Stuey

Hey Guys,
thanks for the replies, it took a while for the topic to get picked up huh?!
The motor is an 18 turbo motor that is no going to go into a fuego that I got for free. I still have an 18 turbo sedan that my father and I race occasionally.
The intercooler is already freeflowed and strapped on the sedan, I was toying with the idea of getting two intercoolers welded together- to give a fairly decent sized intercooler- I can get this done for about $200, but was not sure on the overall benefits/disadvantages... as I figured that it would all further worsen the lag that a longer more convoluted intercooler piping setup would provide.... bearing in mind that I am trying to do VERY cheap/effective mods..

Cheers Ben