Intake pulse waves in a see through carby

What a cool Dad!

Ah the violence when the valve shuts! So aggressive.

You can see the petrol drops almost heading back up the intake at some point before admission commences. That shows how important it is to tune the intake and exhaust.

how good is that ! would be interesting to introduce some turbulence in the inlet see how that effects the atomization of the fuel ,also would be like to see how ,installing a crankcase breather into the inlet ,causing a pulse from the downward stroke of the piston effects ,or evens out the flow and atomisation of the fuel .i seem to recall Paul T saying he couldn't get his carbs working right on the Renault 8 G till he installed the air cleaner and hoses from the rocker cover , the air cleaner could possibly even out the pulses by adding a little restriction .the fuel appears to be in the venture in liquid form before the air is sucked in and atomised, there's that word again .pugs[ great stuff]

I am pretty sure that if you played with that little contraption and added various length intake manifolds you would find a point where the pulses would not go backwards at all but I don't think it is the restriction uphill of the carby that does it. If you watch in the video Justin obstructs at some point almost the entire intake and yet the jet still pulses backwards. This is the nature of waves, they don't care much about obstructions. I think if you tried the entire rev range of the engine you might find a point where the waves become stationary (which is what you want, to create resonance and get the extra energy benefit of that) but your engine might have to rev pretty high before that happens with that short intake.

Peter T's experiment shows that Renault did their homework, something not always correctly appreciated by the home gamer.

Brilliant experiment. Maybe I should build one of those and start tuning my engine.

Bowie, this is something you should probably play with before you start spending money on your engine.

It's an application of acoustics. The total length of the intake is tuned to suit the pressure pulses at a given RPM. If the fundamental length is too great the harmonics aren't.

I just had this pop up on youtube.

take a look at his exotic collection of carby adjusting and balancing tools. That Tyrel guys seems really good. I only started watching his stuff because he did a review on a CX turbo :roflmao: