Insuring a French owned car - suggestions pls

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi all,
Deb and I have essentially been given a 2007 C4 for our use when we visit France and the UK. Our friends in Burgundy have generously offered us use of what is a spare car in their collection. We used to TT Lease but no thanks to Brexit the use of TT Lease cars in the UK is now forbidden - and no you can't cheat the system.

We have a challenge though. We need to insure the C4 for our use and our friends have been in contact with their broker but I think there is a lack of understanding from the broker. The broker seems to think that we are BRINGING a car to France, not that we have a car in France that we wish to insure and keep there for our use.

Does anyone have any advice on how we can insure a car that we "own" in France please?

Copied from a reply on my uk cycling forum:

If it's not registered to you it's effectively impossible. A non French resident isn't allowed to own a car in France. You can't access the ANTS site to register it for one thing, and without proof of residence you can't pay someone else to either.
Back in the days when you could register a car just by popping along to the prefecture a few holiday home owners managed to, but those times are gone.

You're supposed to register it in UK if that's where you're officially resident.

If it is already registered to you, then I guess try Fab French Insurance who may be able to generate a French insurance record given enough English documents.
Some lying will probably be necessary.

Wow am I ever glad that I read this post.

We are planning a 6 week European tour in 2023 and like the last time we were there - in 2019 - we had planned to take the TT car to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Well we can't....

Interestingly, the Greek Islands are also off limits. In 1984 we took a TT car (Renault 5 GTL) to Crete.

It used to be possible to take these cars to the eastern bloc in the commie days too - We did this in 1980, 1984 and 1986. The limitations are becoming a major pain in the arse.

Good times in 2019 with the TT 208.....here on the A9 in the Scottish Highlands. I am so bummed right now.....

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 5.27.33 PM.png

For you to 'own' your friends car the 'Carte grise' (which must be kept in the car at all times) along with declaration of sale and current vehicle inspection would have to be in your name with a french address, for which your passport would need to have a long term visa and/or Schengen visa stamp for the Prefecture to even bother with you.
Depending on the time you'll be over there it'll likely be much easier to confirm with his broker that the vehicle insurance in your friends name covers any driver whilst in the Euro Schengen area, and to rent a car whilst you're in the UK. Give Driveaway in North Sydney a call, I've used them a lot with very good deals.

No insurance, any accident, grab bags and run :)

• Haha
Reactions: UFO
Can your friends insure it with you and Deb noted as drivers. then you reimburse them?

Roger
Roger we have suggested that but I think they've had advice from a broker that "if something goes wrong or there is a speed camera fine" etc then their other insurance could be affected. Apparently there is a scheme now where French citizens can rent their car to others - that is being investigated. They're also contacting another broker.

I might even contact the UK RAC or whatever to see if we can insure through them ourselves.