Installing the Distributor Gear on an 807

Bernie

Tadpole
HI:
I am at crucial stage of installing the Distributor gear and meshing it properly with the cam/pistons.
I want to be sure that #1 piston is in the TDC as its not tough to find as the head is off.
Its knowing its at a firing.
I have included two versions of the install and I am not sure of the terminology.
"The cams at #4 cylinder in balance and #1 cams with their circular profiles uppermost"
If I have the cam and crank gears lined up according to the etch marks on each(cam chain install), that seems to give me TDC but is it firing?
Because its a 807 there is that 53 degree setting that also needs to be addressed.
I have included two pics to show the present piston 1 and piston 4 cam relationships.

Attachments

• Piston 1-Cam position (1).JPG
    Piston 1-Cam position (1).JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Piston 4-Cam position (2).JPG
    Piston 4-Cam position (2).JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 89
Judging by your pics Piston 1 is firing as piston 4 has the cam on the rock position (both lobes are at about half mast)
As you have the marks lined up you should be at the correct start point.

HI:
Thanks for the input!
It was funny how I came up with the 53 Deg. for the 807.
I thought I had an old math set from my kid(or me) but no.
If you draw a 3 units by 4 units right angle triangle with the hypotenuse being 5 units the top included angle is ...53deg.
I made a cardboard template for the setting.
In a previous life I was a Mech Eng (don't hold that against me).
That is why I worry so much!

Reactions: COL
HI:
Thanks for the input!
If you draw a 3 units by 4 units right angle triangle with the hypotenuse being 5 units the top included angle is ...53deg.
I have made myself a gauge with the 53 deg that has two locating lugs that fit into the little holes that the rubber gasket tits fit into around the cam shaft.

Am I seeing a difference in piston crown positions between no1 and no4,?180deg difference.no 3 looks a different relief in crown of piston.they look like the r15/17 pistons,higher comp than r16ts ?may be wrong,might be my old eyes playing up…jim

They are R15TS, R17TL pistons. 9.25 to 1 ? Your drive is in the correct position and No. 1 cylinder is closest to the flywheel. The cam lobes would have both these valves closed on No.1, so on compression. Generally the offset drive slot lines up between the oil feed and the back head bolt hole and the small flat on the edge of the drive goes to the outside of the block.

HI:
Thanks for the input!
No wonder you are a worry-wort about this!! :) Ignorance certainly isn't bliss with something like timing. Lovely story.

HI: Worry -wort here:
Before I dash on to the next step I reread the shop manual for cam lobe position to insure I wasn't out 180 deg.
"Number 1 piston is in the TDC with the cams for Number 4 piston being in balance and number 1 cams with their circular profiles uppermost".
Take a look at these new posted pics as I think they are correct as opposed to my first efforts(based on lobe positions)?
Thanks

Attachments

• Number 1 piston Cams position.JPG
    Number 1 piston Cams position.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Number 4 Cams position.JPG
    Number 4 Cams position.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 60
Bernie it looks like you have that opposite to what you have in your first post. Have you changed the cam timing? Or are you on the other TDC?

Renault always call the cylinder that is closest to the flywheel #1.

When you time the cam on these engines, on the crankshaft sprocket you will find a dot stamped and also on the camshaft sprocket you will find a dot stamped. These dots need to line up through the centre line of the crankshaft and the camshaft with the dots closest to each other.

Also don't forget to put the oil pump/distributor drive in before putting on the head.

HI COL:
Yes I re positioned the crank 180 deg(other TDC) from my first set of pics because I was looking for that" number 1 cams with their circular profiles uppermost" position that was stated in the manual as indicating you were infact TDC.
One thing that was never stated in the manual I have is when the cam dot lines up with the crank dot # 1 piston is TDC.!
If this is correct then its back to the first set of piston/cam/crank positions.
The two alignment dots(cam and crank) aligned correctly before I installed the tensioner.
I understand that the dots "shift" after the tensioner is applied.
I will be sure to put the drive gear(53 deg job) into place after I am sure of the piston/cam positioning.
Thanks

Attachments

• Cam timing mark after tensioner installed.JPG
    Cam timing mark after tensioner installed.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 61
Hi Bernie

You look to be out by a tooth on the crank shaft pulley. The non tensioner side of the timing chain needs to be tight (as it would be with the tensioner installed) when the timing marks are aligned. The timing marks may shift marginally when the tensioner is applied to the chain.

HI COL:
Here is a pic with the tensioner not installed.
All points lined up nicely along with the crank and cam centers.
When the tensioner was installed it is now pic 2 (or the pic shown in last posting).
The cam point sifted almost a tooth.
When the timing points align does this indicate that the number 1 piston is TDC in firing position?
Thanks
Bernie

Attachments

• Steel rule line up.JPG
    Steel rule line up.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 61
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 55
Hi Bernie

I still think you are out a tooth, what I do when I do the cam timing is to keep the non tensioner side as tight as possible when aligning the timing marks. I then to check that all is OK I push with my finger on the chain where the tensioner goes and with the ruler in the other hand check the alignment of the timing marks and get these as close as possible to line up with the centre lines of the crankshaft and the camshaft

HI COL:
Ok one more time back to do the cam chain.
Here is an alignment attempt I first did.
It was spot on with the tensioner installed.
I was after that "shift".
A lasting question:When the timing points align does this indicate that the number 1 piston is TDC in firing position?
Thanks
Bernie

Attachments

• Cam chain alignment First attempt.JPG
    Cam chain alignment First attempt.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 55