Insane dog plus new Clio =

ParanoidAndroid

Fellow Frogger
2 of my favourite things are:

My new RenaultSport Clio which I clean (in one way or another) every single time I drive it even if its just around the block.

My insane but lovable Staffy 'Flip' who has speration anxiety as diagnosed by his 200 dollar an hour dog therapist. He is on Prozac and half the time Valium when I go to work.

Today I came home to find he has jumped on the top of the car, torn the cover to shreds, mauled the arial and base completely to bits and ripped it off. He then bled from his gums all over the paintwork before detroying the garage door for the 5th time.

He has given the same treatment to everything else I own and I knew it was only a matter of time before he got to the car but it still hurt ;)

Anways Renault said the arial which includes the screw off part, the base and the cable is 70 bucks which I thought was resonable. Well it could have been worse anyways.

They said it would probably cost me about $100 to have them fit it but I'm wondering how hard it would be to do it myself. According to the guy at Renault I have to get the head unit out, tie the new cable to the old and pull it thru somehow. But if the arial cable is attached to roof end (the base) I guess I would have to attach it there and pull it back thru from the hu end. Now I'm confusing myself.

Any ideas ?

Josh

Man, I'd KILL the mutt!

As for the cable, cut the aerial off the cable as close as possible to the base, tightly insulation tape the new plug to the remaining cable stub making it as streamlined as possible so it doesn't catch, remove the old plug from the back of the head unit and pull it carefully through. As long as there are no grommets etc you should be OK.

Cheers

Stuey (another staffy owner)

My Fuego, R25 and R21 all have the roof mount aerial and it is seperate from the cable. The single nut that holds the aerial base onto the roof skin (as accessible with interior roof console thingy out) also attaches the cable end terminal to the aerial. I cant imagine they would change something as simple as that for newer models :confused:

So how the hell do you remove the arial base from the roof ? I cant see how to remove it from the outside and the headlining in in the way from the inside.

ParanoidAndroid said:
So how the hell do you remove the arial base from the roof ? I cant see how to remove it from the outside and the headlining in in the way from the inside.

Have to pull the headlining down somehow - my Renaults have a little roof mounted console thingy wit the interior light, map light and their switchs on it, which unscrews to reveal the underside of the aerial

The antenna on my car is in the centre rear of the roof with just the normal headlining over where it would bolt on from the inside. There doesnt look to be any simple way to remove the headlining or get to it. I might have to let Renault do it. Not that they seem to have more of an idea.

ah - right. Now I remember, it is at the back... I would still be inclined to have a go first - maybe the workshop manual is online somewhere, or someone on here has one? I would be mighty surprised if the headlining is very hard to get off.

ave a go mate...

the lining should come off after u pull the rubber seals off...
worse comes to worse & u cant get it back together u've done 1/2 their job! ;)

i dont see how the cable is 1 piece from the head unit though... hmmm

do the dodge (but decent) and maybe do a good cable join somewhere, its got the 6 stack right??? whats an aerial for! LOL

Josh, I'll sneak around to Nate's house tonight and steal his aerial. I'll post it up to you after i've done the dash... Then you don't have to fork out a cent! ;) ;) ;)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhheeheheeeee! *pssst, don't tell nate though!*

:D :D