INCHCAPE To Show Us How To Sell Citroens?

Citroen are dead! I don't why they just don't pull the pin now! Seriously, talk about running a great brand into the ground! Well done Inchcape! You've really shown us how to sell Citroens! Sweet FA effort!

Three cars sold!! It's just terrible to see. :cry:

I can't understand why PSA/Stellantis has allowed Inchcape to run the brand into the ground like this.

Three cars sold!! It's just terrible to see. :cry:

I can't understand why PSA/Stellantis has allowed Inchcape to run the brand into the ground like this.

PSA/Stellantis also contributed to an extent, by making far too many modern Citroens dull as ditchwater, such that it made little sense to buy them here. This review of the Peugeot 3008 summarises the problem neatly: "French cars were long ago overtaken by the Japanese, Korean and Chinese here in Australia. They often fall into what I call the French car trap. They’re either too quirky, alienating conservative buyers if delighting their core supporters, or they’re not quite interesting enough, which potentially alienates core supporters while giving everybody else no clear reason to take the plunge."

Citroen are starting to get their groove back design and tech-wise, but they and Peugeot are also hamstrung by Inchcape's poor specification of vehicles here in Oz. The use of the outdated 1.6L engine means only getting a 6 speed auto and either no adaptive cruise control or adaptive cruise that lacks stop/go functionality, something that cheaper Korean and Japanese alternatives have.

The average Aussie buyer asks 'why should I buy a car that lacks the tech I want, that offers little over equivalent Korean and Japanese models, that offers little in the way of support and that costs more?'

It seems another non-Inchcape owned dealer, Sinclair at Penrith has either dropped Peugeot or been dropped by Inchcape.

Sinclair handed their franchise back in February and are now doing a roaring trade in Isuzu and Ssangyong.

May figures

Citroen C3 – 7
Citroen C3 Aircross – 0
Citroen C4 Cactus – 0
Citroen C5 Aircross – 5
Citroen Total – 12

Renault Captur – 75
Renault Clio – 0
Renault Kadjar – 0
Renault Kangoo – 82
Renault Koleos – 164
Renault Master – 132
Renault Master Bus – 31
Renault Megane – 28
Renault Trafic – 198
Renault Zoe – 0
Renault Total – 710

Peugeot 2008 – 44
Peugeot 3008 – 96
Peugeot 308 – 0
Peugeot 5008 – 16
Peugeot 508 – 5
Peugeot Boxer – 8
Peugeot Expert – 28
Peugeot Partner – 36
Peugeot Total – 233

An article published today on the CarSales website says that Ateco is interested in Peugeot and Citroen again.

After swooping on Renault, [Ateco founder and Executive Chairman Neville] Crichton is now talking about a range of other potential targets, including Jeep, Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Abarth – all of which are handled by the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) Australia factory operation – and Peugeot and Citroen, which are run independently through Inchcape Australia.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editori...HLRV_JCZyRG7_gl97XUfUUdvw1ewkYz2wNUOq9N8IUsT4

Inchcape's strategy has clearly failed, so I would view this as a good thing if it came about.

Sime Darby was successful in building sales up but as Rob Dommerson admitted they didn't get the servicing right. He played on the past of the cars in Australia to promote them. He commissioned a small history of Peugeot in Australia and paid for thousands of copies. He sponsored the Redex Re-Run and had a quality owners magazine. They sold better than they ever had but some problems with the cars and servicing resulted in a less than optimum owners experience that put sales into a long term decline. It has continued with Inchcape but has possibly hit bottom at sales figures that would have been considered good in 1955.

It looks like everything is going to have to go through Jeep going forward. What could possibly go wrong?

What could possibly go wrong indeed! :rolleyes:

I am sure that Jeep has a good understanding of the market for 4WD vehicles. The remaining Peugeot and Citroen dealers must be feeling punch-drunk by now.

Although having said that, Inchcape has taken sales so low that the only way is up. Or maybe out!

I'm in Canberra and used the Citroen aus website to 'find a dealer', wanting to check on some service pricing. On calling their listed number they were friendly but said they were no longer Citroen nor Peugeot for Canberra, that a new local dealer would be taking it on within 2 weeks. Could be a change coming from these Stellantis/national changes, or from local dealer issues.

June figures

Renault Captur – 161
Renault Clio – 0
Renault Kadjar – 0
Renault Kangoo – 131
Renault Koleos – 280
Renault Master – 288
Renault Master Bus – 15
Renault Megane – 18
Renault Trafic – 293
Renault Zoe – 0
Renault Total – 1186

Citroen C3 – 18
Citroen C3 Aircross – 0
Citroen C4 Cactus – 0
Citroen C5 Aircross – 4
Citroen Total – 22

Peugeot 2008 – 44
Peugeot 3008 – 86
Peugeot 308 – 0
Peugeot 5008 – 24
Peugeot 508 – 6
Peugeot Boxer – 2
Peugeot Expert – 48
Peugeot Partner – 40
Peugeot Total – 250

Citroen: C3 sales are booming; almost, nearly, kind of, just about double last month. The're on a roll! Seems that the overpriced, under-diesled C5 aircross isn't on the same stellar trajectory though.
How could a dealer survive selling 0.75 cars per month!
The future looks more and more uncertain.

Citroen: C3 sales are booming; almost, nearly, kind of, just about double last month. The're on a roll! Seems that the overpriced, under-diesled C5 aircross isn't on the same stellar trajectory though.
How could a dealer survive selling 0.75 cars per month!
The future looks more and more uncertain.
I suspect most sales would be through Continental Cars too, so yes, can't see too many dealers hanging around...

Let's hope they bring the more powerful 1.6L with eight speed auto and active cruise control with stop/go (something that - in case you haven't noticed Inchcape - the Chinese cheapies have no trouble in offering along with a host of other tech conspicuous by its absence) when the facelift arrives for the C5 Aircross...

Cairns dealership handling Peugeot only from now on - this decision having been made for them, apparently.
Not that there is signage or showroom floor space, just a pennant and one each of 2008 and 3008 in the forecourt … rather major works being done for Skoda.

Last edited:
Trivett City & Continental Cars seem to be the only ones carrying any C3 stock in Australia and most seem to be Demo's, if you look on Carsales.com.au. Could also explain why 18 C3's were 'sold' last month, there are no C3 Aircross' nationally, are they waiting to bring in the facelifted model, even though it hasn't been confirmed for our market? and there are less than 50 units of the C5 Aircross!

I know the new C4 has been confirmed to be sold here, but has Citroen actually been axed in Australia and Inchcape just hasn't said anything about it??

noticed the protracted Cactus stock clearance was a similarly ... er, intriguing (?) process.