In car display temperature indicator gone crazy

dhaw

Fellow Frogger
Any modern Peugeot car owners experience this fault and any ideas? My 2008 on a 30 degree day randomly decides its 7 degrees outside. It eventually displays the correct temp but I wonder if it has any effect on my climate control. The A/C does not seem as icey when its playing up. I'd say 80% of the time its fine but at least once a day it chucks a wobbly. Even seen 1 degree and ice warnings..... Restarting the car does not correct it.

Yep common problem you can replace the sensor in the mirror and it fixes it.

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

On my 406 the wiring plug connecting the mirror to the vehicle was not making full contact, resulting in funny temps being displayed.

Good tip... what would one describe this part as to Dapco? Thanx!

You don’t, buy genuine .
6445 F9

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Good to know that I'm not the only person in the universe with that same fault. Two year old car after 40,000 untroubled Ks decided to do the same thing. It's at the therapist tomorrow. I have just today posted this issue myself - 2008 (2017 1.2 turbo)

Musing - does this sensor affect the operation of the A/C on Auto? on Manual?

Cheers

I’m usually fairly mechanically sensitive, so I’m using a therapist...........

My 2008 1.2 turbo had the same issue. To cut a long story short, the dealer updated the electronics and the satnav. (I hadn’t had these done since new, since I get my maintenance done locally), and they also cleaned and degreased the connector in the door. They suggested to me that the electronic update fixed it, I’m pretty sure that they cleaned connector fixed it, judging from my own diagnosis of the error characteristics. I suspect you have the same problem - the sensor is working but the connector is faulty/not contacting fully. Everything works now, anyway.
BTW the sensor in the door connects to the aircon software when it’s on auto, and unless the sensor is working properly the AUTO setting in the aircon will misbehave/not work. However if you put the aircon on manual by setting numbers on the centre console, this will allow the aircon work, even if the outside sensor is faulty.

PS
see my later post in this thread from a year later when they replaced the sensor......

Last edited:
My 2008 1.2 turbo had the same issue. To cut a long story short, the dealer updated the electronics and the satnav. (I hadn’t had these done since new, since I get my maintenance done locally), and they also cleaned and degreased the connector in the door. They suggested to me that the electronic update fixed it, I’m pretty sure that they cleaned connector fixed it, judging from my own diagnosis of the error characteristics. I suspect you have the same problem - the sensor is working but the connector is faulty/not contacting fully. Everything works now, anyway.
BTW the sensor in the door connects to the aircon software when it’s on auto, and unless the sensor is working properly the AUTO setting in the aircon will misbehave/not work. However if you put the aircon on manual by setting numbers on the centre console, this will allow the aircon work, even if the outside sensor is faulty.
Good advice Barry. You say the sensor in the DOOR? Please explain? Where is the outside temp sensor? Mirror? My Aircocn does not work at all when the temp drops below zero! Thanks!

Sorry, the sensor is in the external mirror ON the door. And I have no real idea where this connector is, except that it is somewhere in the door. They fixed it, anyway, by disconnecting it, cleaning and putting some kind of conductive(?) grease in it, then reassembly. My own diagnosis is that the sensor in the external door mirror was never fully faulty/not working as they never got any fault codes for the sensor itself (which would presumably be if it failed fully?). Its low temperature readings I would put down to poor connection/high resistance at the connector itself. I’m happy for any auto electrician out there to contradict me at any time. Cheers.

Last edited:
I just googled and found this. Going to get my Mech to do this at sevice soon and I don't have contact cleaner. Quote..."i just had this dumb problems fix for good, for months even after i change the sensor at the mirror the problems of erractic temperture keeps coming back. today my mech took the bunch of socket out between door and the car body spray some contact cleaner and blow off any access with the pressure blower for abt 15 sec ......wah lah all back to normal , this require some additional hands as the door is quite heavy."

Found this exact google myself and was interested what the Peugeot gurus at the workshop would do. Obviously they know about the issue in 2008s maybe it also applies to other recent Peugeot models as well.

QUOTE=dhaw;1642364]I just googled and found this. Going to get my Mech to do this at sevice soon and I don't have contact cleaner. Quote..."i just had this dumb problems fix for good, for months even after i change the sensor at the mirror the problems of erractic temperture keeps coming back. today my mech took the bunch of socket out between door and the car body spray some contact cleaner and blow off any access with the pressure blower for abt 15 sec ......wah lah all back to normal , this require some additional hands as the door is quite heavy."[/QUOTE]

update after 48 hrs of fiddling and the temperature is reading fine. I took the back off the review mirror and fiddled with the connector. The two sets of wires are joined at a plug which I seperated and replugged a few times.... seems the issue is with the pins in the plug. Will have to see if the fix is perminent

Don't need aircond in France, but this will not be case with Climate Change

Bug came back and dealer is replacing the temp sensor under warrantee. Of course no part in the country even tho its fitted to every new pug sold...sigh