Importing 205 GTI into Australia from UK - Compliance

MarkUK1.9

Tadpole
Hi all - Is there anyone on here who has direct experience with importing a 205 into Australia?

My quote for compliance checks in OZ state that it requires side impact bars fitted in the doors and a collapsible steering column?
Wondering how on earth you make that happen on a car that didn't have these as part of it's original design?
I know the inside of the door pretty well and there is barely room for a cigarette paper to fit in, let alone impact bars.

Would be great hear from anyone who has imported a UK 205 in OZ and if they encountered this same requirement?

Did the Australian-version 205 even come with side impact bars and a collapsible steering column from new?

Cheers,
Mark

I think the cut off year is 1989, unless it's changed recently. ie Pre'89 no issues. Post '89 you need to have owned it for a minimum of 12 months.

edit: It looks like there's a 25 year rule now. So potentially a lot easier than it used to be.

In regards to ADR's, they're somewhat excused. eg my Mi16x4 doesn't have side impact bars or a cat., yet is a '92 model. Aus delivered 205's have side impact bars. I think all 205's have collapsible columns.

Last edited: