Importing 205 gti from europe

barrysheridan

Tadpole
Hi guys,

i have lived in Australia for the past 10 years and have a 205 gti sitting back in Ireland which is under going a ground up restoration. I am looking to import it into Australia in 2019. It seems a daunting task can anyone give me advice on where to start.
I am a resident of Australia and the car is a Peugeot 205 gti 1986 and been in my possession for more than 10 years.

There is a personal import scheme, which it sounds like you qualify for.
As it is being restored, it would be worth documenting any and all potential sources of asbestos, gaskets, brakes, clutch etc and keeping those records very carefully. Australian customs are now known to be extremely vigilant on any asbestos on imported cars.

For any other advice, best consult a professional import company, there are plenty of them.

Good advice above. Get documents of brake pads and clutch that have no asbestos and you should be good to go. Its will also be eligible for for cheap clubs plates!

Cam

There is a personal import scheme, which it sounds like you qualify for.
As it is being restored, it would be worth documenting any and all potential sources of asbestos, gaskets, brakes, clutch etc and keeping those records very carefully. Australian customs are now known to be extremely vigilant on any asbestos on imported cars.

For any other advice, best consult a professional import company, there are plenty of them.

Thank you I will look into that scheme. I have replaced all the gaskets, clutch and pads etc with modern components. Not that I examined them but I don’t think there will be any asbestos in modern car parts which I purchased in the past two years. Does a list exist of asbestos components on a 205. I know the sound deadening under the bonnet contains it.

Thanks again, if anyone can recommend an import company they have dealt with I’d appreciate it.

Barry are you sure about the sound deadening? I wouldn't have expected that to have asbestos in it! Even back when the 205 was new asbestos was known about as a health issue and I thought they would only use it on parts hidden away where they hadn't yet universally replaced it as it worked well.

If true, that would be extremely dangerous just because it would easily be disturbed to cause airborne fibres right in your face.

Sellit over there and buy a better 1.9 gti here....

But it no doubt has rot, it’s a inferior 1.6, has no ac etc with the hassle of importing it and compliancingi it he could easily get a tidy 1.9 gti...

Yeah Jezza, 205 GTi air-con... mmm, feel the coolth ;-)

I do remember another AFer who was bringing in a GTi from Hong Kong I think and he was looking at having to retro-fit anti-intrusion bars in the doors and some other minor aspects to comply with the ADRs of the time.

Of course there is the issue of no CAT, but that may not be an issue.

But it no doubt has rot, it’s a inferior 1.6, has no ac etc with the hassle of importing it and compliancingi it he could easily get a tidy 1.9 gti...

Not a bad idea.

Although a car you know is better then one you dont..
I’d never sell it, to many memories and I’ve rebuilt it with every available new/reproduction part there is out there. It stands me silly money but should be reliable. You can see my rebuild on Facebook “ oldcastle peugeot 205 owners club. “

There’s not a pick of rot in it now. The only limit to the 1.6 engine is the drivers right foot and skill. Many a 4wd we have embarrassed in rallying in a group N 205 gti.

In that case a no brainer! Just do your homework on the importation for your state and it should be easy.

Cam

I imported my 205 1.9 about 5 years ago from the UK for sentimental reasons.

It wasn’t hard at all, I remember a few forms and that was it. Don’t remember anything about asbestos. The biggest thing is making sure your VIN number and engine number are correct on the forms - if they’re wrong they can turn back the car.

I’m pretty crap at keeping important things (ask me about my visa issues the day I flew to the USA....) but I have a feeling I may have kept some stuff in my computer at home about the import. I’ll have a look for you.

Yep, no brainer where there's a lot of love and time in it!

Brownale, the asbestos thing is a fairly new development AFAIK. Some AF members have recently mentioned it coming up.

Ok, well I kept next to nothing in terms of paperwork but I used Cargo Online to ship the car and they were really easy to deal with. They’ll guide you through the process.

I did find my UK registration papers in there and if you Google streetview the last registered address, the car is sitting there on the driveway!

Oh and there was also the import approval. I think you must get that before you can import the car. This is where the vin is important as it’s in that certificate and must match the car. As it happens, my certificate has a single digit wrong on the import approval but somehow the car got through.