ID19 recommissioned

unigabe

Fellow Frogger
Many years ago we had a GS 1300 wagon overseas which my wife liked very much and said that one day she would like a D series. Fast forward 25 years and last January I came across an ID19 that needed a new home. It had sat languishing for nearly 30 years but was very nearly complete, interior in good condition and rust free. The paintwork under all the dust looked poor but at least it covered the metal. Rather than spend years on a full restoration I decided to just recommission the car and enjoy it like that. After a couple of weeks the engine fired up and had good compression and oil pressure so it was left alone. Next came the electrics and hydraulics. What with COVID slowing freight deliveries and various lockdowns slowed the proceedings down. My aim was to have it ready for my wife’s birthday today. The last two weeks saw everything come together with it passing the registration inspection on Friday. It was too late to go to the registry so Saturday morning off I went. Disaster! The office was closed until further notice due to the earthquake. There was a mobile Service van in the car park but they could not process the registration. What can I do? The nearest Service Centre was 130 kms away. Nothing for it but to go home, get in a car and drive. Nearly two hours later I walked out of the registry with the plates in my hand to a very happy wife.

Congratulations! Well timed! Now, as always, all we need are some photos….👏😬👍

Welcome to the group. An Id 19 will certainly develop arm muscles. An Id 19 was probably the most resolved and trouble free D design because it lacked any unnecessary complexity. What age is your Id ? It means mainly variations in the braking system. Some here refer to Heidelberg Ids. These were local CKD Melbourne assembled versions that benefited from local paint and upholstery.
I have just discovered the video below. While in Spanish, it is well subtitled and will reveal how far the big Citroen evolved from those simple times.
Are we better off for all the complexity ?

The car is a late 1962 model cecil IMG_0038 reduced.jpgcecil IMG_0035 reduced.jpgcecil IMG_0036 reduced.jpg

Nice! This isn’t the car that was for sale in Murwillumbah or thereabouts? Rims are correct and it has the usual butcher work done to the dash over the decades 😂… The vinyl seats also seem to be correct for Heidelberg cars.

Welcome aboard UniGabe.

I suspect that's the car you bought from Eltham in which case I'm the bloke who put it in the adverts section for Phil.

Great to see it on the road. Well done.

Cheers, Pottsy.

Yes Pottsy, that is the car. I have kept in touch with Phil and he knows the car is back on the road.

Ah ! The picture answers my question. A '62 with the small low square powered brake pedal.
First gear is DOWN and has no synchromesh on first gear IIRC.
It has a sister car that starred in the RACQ Motorfest two years ago. Look at the Citroen Car Club of Queensland website for a salmon pink/brown sister.

Hi Unigabe,I also have a late'62 Heidelberg built ID19.
For the last few years I have collecting the information found on the ID tags that were fitted to the Continental & General built cars.
I have concentrated on cars that are "on the road" or are undergoing restoration.
Would it be possible for you to take a photograph of the T&G tag on your car and post on this site.
Many thanks,
Brian W.

Have you tried some cut and polish on that car yet ?? I reckon it'll look amazing if you hit it with cutters, the oxidisation will get removed.

I find those earlier DS's really hard to drive. it messes with my head trying to use the upside down gearchange.

Yes, I have tried cut and polish. The photo shows the paintwork in better condition than it really is.
As for the gear change, I also have a 203 with a floor shift conversion with an abnormal gear pattern so swapping between cars calls for concentration initially- a good exercise for the brain.

Patina. Recommissioned. Magnifique. And an earthquake thrown in! Happy wife, happy life.

I find those earlier DS's really hard to drive. it messes with my head trying to use the upside down gearchange.
Shane, if early ID19 gearchanges mess with your head, don't ever try to drive a truck. Their gearshift gates are all over the place.

And technically, no car with the upside down gearchange is a DS, they are all IDs. By the time manual gearchange became an option on the DS the gearchange was right way up.

Roger

First gear is DOWN and has no synchromesh on first gear IIRC.
Never thought about it until now. Trying to remember my DSuper… I am sure first was “pull towards driver and up”… sounds like the long stroke IDs are “down” for first, are they?

looks like I would have tried to take off in second gear for starters… when the car will be ready to drive that is.

learning every day - Great.

Trucks would be easier ..... as they aren't "identical" to the two ID19's I already own.
Pre-'63 ID's have the upside down gearchange to the best of my knowledge :)

Yes. The second nose IDs have first gear UP and synchromesh on 1st gear. Second nose IDs also have mushroom button powered brakes.
First nose Ds also have box like front wings without the cardboard outside to cabin air duct. The entire wing acts as a scoop whereas a second nose relies on a small "funnel" of trapped high pressure air from under the headlight. Marginally higher top speed was claimed.

Have you tried some cut and polish on that car yet ?? I reckon it'll look amazing if you hit it with cutters, the oxidisation will get removed.

Mmm, I remember driving an early 404 Peugeot many years ago, it's column shift pattern was a bit weird too if memory serves me.

Mmm, I remember driving an early 404 Peugeot many years ago, it's column shift pattern was a bit weird too if memory serves me.

Try driving two identical cars .... with the same column shift .... but one is upside down. It really messes with your head in traffic and you overthink with direction you need to move the gearshift each time ....rather than just moving it without thinking :) My ID's are the same as DS's and Renault 16's ...etc... The right way up!

Try driving two identical cars .... with the same column shift .... but one is upside down. It really messes with your head in traffic and you overthink with direction you need to move the gearshift each time ....rather than just moving it without thinking :) My ID's are the same as DS's and Renault 16's ...etc... The right way up!
The Peugeot was 1st back and down, through the gate and up for 2nd, down for 3rd, through the gate and up for 4th, reverse was opposite 1st. I owned a 16TS at the time I drove the Peugeot, hence the Peugeot seemed a bit weird.

Bike's can be fun too I had a Iron Head Sportster with conventional right side brake and left side gear lever at the same time I had an early T140 Bonneville with a left side brake and right side gear lever. Lost count of the number of times I stomped the Bonnie down a gear while going for the back brake.🙄