I just bought a brand new condition 306GTI-6! My first Peugeot

So it was in Gosford and you're from Brisbane! Very efficient (& you were lucky the borders were open :)).

Now tell us about the yellow car in the background of the engine bay photo!

The Renault with the Dauphin's crown emblem? You have sharp eyes.

Last edited:
Sadly PS4’s don’t come in those tyre sizes. Sadly the only realistic options are the PS3’s or RE003’s. My grandad has ran both on his Golf GTI so I have a bit of experience with both tyres, and I’m actually really satisfied with the 003’s performance. They’re a very reactive tyre too, which I think would suit a 306 GTI nicely.
FWIW I'm more than pleased with the 'Continental Contisport Contact 5' fitted to my 'hot hatch' (in 205/45/17 but I'm sure there's a good range of sizes) these got an extreme testing in the wet at Eastern Creek last week {see post in Motorsport - "Come Race your Frenchy"}. Only thing where the jury's still out would be longevity - probably didn't help that by fanging around a circuit repeatedly :unsure:
Regards,
Rob

So it was in Gosford and you're from Brisbane! Very efficient (& you were lucky the borders were open :)).

Now tell us about the yellow car in the background of the engine bay photo!
It’s my grandfather’s 1964 Renault Dauphine. He’s owned it since 1967 and set it up for hill climbs. It has a 1600 TS engine from a Renault 16 making about 150hp, a modified close ratio steering rack that he modified himself, fully adjustable Koni shocks, double wishbone front suspension modeled off a Renault 10 (I think), and trailing arm rear suspension that he made myself (he’s worked with metal his whole life as pipe bender).
He still drives it but hasn’t raced in about 25 years now.

It’s my grandfather’s 1964 Renault Dauphine. He’s owned it since 1967 and set it up for hill climbs. It has a 1600 TS engine from a Renault 16 making about 150hp, a modified close ratio steering rack that he modified himself, fully adjustable Koni shocks, double wishbone front suspension modeled off a Renault 10 (I think), and trailing arm rear suspension that he made myself (he’s worked with metal his whole life as pipe bender).
He still drives it but hasn’t raced in about 25 years now.
And yes, very lucky the borders were open! I’m very thankful this car went through. I’m only just turned 20 and have wanted a GTI since I was about 11. I’ve been seriously looking for the last year and a half.

Interior looks great, no saggy door trims? How's the bolster on the drivers seat?

On the Bridgestone re0003. They are good, but my experience with them on the 306 is the sidewalls are too stiff and the shoulder of the front tyres wears far too fast. Also sketchy in the wet once they've done a few thousand Kay's. I had much better experience with Michelin and Conti

Thanks for that! I’ll have a look into the Continentals. And the driver’s seat is more or less in new condition, the bolstering is still perfect. Door trims are *slightly* discolored (should clean up fine), but they’re certainly not drooping.

On the Bridgestone re0003. They are good, but my experience with them on the 306 is the sidewalls are too stiff and the shoulder of the front tyres wears far too fast. Also sketchy in the wet once they've done a few thousand Kay's. I had much better experience with Michelin and Conti
I'm getting slightly off topic here (sort-of!) but it's interesting what you say about the Bridgestones. I had a set of 17s on a ND MX-5 (briefly, before I sold the car) and loved the ride quality, level of grip and gradual transition they offered... seemed like a good all-round compromise -- but I never drove on them in the wet. I have since put a set of them (in a different size) on my 308 T9. They were a great price - $100ea in 16in (205/50? I think).
I haven't had the opportunity to try them in the twisties, just a few 1000km freeway and in the 'burbs... but to my dismay, they are more slippery than I expected in the wet the couple times I pushed a bit harder than usual. Better ride than Goodyear Efficientgrips on the OE 15in wheels though (even though less sidewall, +1 size).

Which Bridgestones? Were they Potenza Adrenaline RE003? I have a set of 205x55R16 RE003s on my 406 SV - coupled with Record shocks, I find
them terrific - I would venture to say best grip I've ever had, wet or dry.

To be fair my arms are too short (and pockets too deep) to ever invest in real performance tyres. Great thing about these is the price.

I have had mine a couple of years now - hope Bridgestone haven't mucked about with the compound in the latest ones!

Which Bridgestones? Were they Potenza Adrenaline RE003?
Yes. Also in 205/55R16.
I often buy from Tempe Tyres, who deal (or, at least, dealt) in parallel imports. I ended up buying them from Bob Jane, as they were closer (didn't have much time) and would price-match. So I can only assume they are the real deal. I'm pretty sure I checked production date and they were fresh. Pressures as per placard, so (don't quote me!) about 35psi. Yet got a fair bit of wheelspin and TC action on a few quick take-offs in the wet. I am not by any means a racing driver but have experience with good wet-weather tyres where they still seemed to scrabble for grip even when the road was really slippery. These RE003s seemed to let go much more quickly. But don't take that as gospel; could have been oil on the road etc., and I haven't really been in situations where I felt I could push the boundaries a bit. With 40km/h zones, unmarked mobile cameras... I don't dare even sneeze when driving in Sydney anymore.

Staying off topic, thinking about my re003 experience. Maybe it was the contrast in grip that was surprising. As in the dry grip was great, especially when warm I probably went into wet corners expecting a similar level of grip. The continentals I currently have are quite a bit softer feeling and not as sharp and responsive but they are consistent. Very easy to drive and predictable when they're about to let go. Great thing about the 306 of any kind is that you can explore all these traits at sane speeds and still have a little fun on public roads without being stupid.

Awesome car - Definitely one of my favorite Pugs. Looks like a really good find! Enjoy 😊

You got it for a great price so spend whatever it takes to keep it in top condition and it’ll repay you in spades of driving enjoyment.

You got it for a great price so spend whatever it takes to keep it in top condition and it’ll repay you in spades of driving enjoyment.
That is very true, and that’s something I plan on doing. As a young bloke it’s my goal to keep cars like this preserved! I noticed by your username you may have one too. Have you loved it as much as everyone else seems to love theirs?

I had mine from new and kept it for 16 years. It was the most reliable car I’ve owned. Never let me down in all those years. Now in the ownership of a fellow A/frogger.

Wow! That’s excellent. That’s my worry, I’m not made of money so I hope it’s reliable for me! I only drive on weekends so the K’s will stay very low. I’m certainly looking forward to my first spirited drive in it.

Just make sure the first thing you do is a timing belt. They are notorious for snapping. The stock intake is great and the pod filter will make it bog down.

Your a lucky boy for sure.

Yes. Also in 205/55R16.
I often buy from Tempe Tyres, who deal (or, at least, dealt) in parallel imports. I ended up buying them from Bob Jane, as they were closer (didn't have much time) and would price-match. So I can only assume they are the real deal. I'm pretty sure I checked production date and they were fresh. Pressures as per placard, so (don't quote me!) about 35psi. Yet got a fair bit of wheelspin and TC action on a few quick take-offs in the wet. I am not by any means a racing driver but have experience with good wet-weather tyres where they still seemed to scrabble for grip even when the road was really slippery. These RE003s seemed to let go much more quickly. But don't take that as gospel; could have been oil on the road etc., and I haven't really been in situations where I felt I could push the boundaries a bit. With 40km/h zones, unmarked mobile cameras... I don't dare even sneeze when driving in Sydney anymore.
to continue in off-topicy fashion as a postscript to my Conti recommendation I now have sitting on the garage floor a pile of alloy wheels shod with 'Bridgestone Turanza ER300' {a Gumtree purchase). No idea {yet} what they're like wet/dry grip but my intention is that if I do another track day {here's hoping :) 🙏 } and its dry the Bridgestones may wear out less frighteningly fast than the Contis, then when they do wear I can get a set of racing tyres - semi-slick perhaps - cunning plan or what :LOL:
Regards, Rob

Great looking GTi6 you have there!
I've owned a MY99 astor grey & currently a MY98 onyx black. Awesome car!
Yeah second the pod filter comment. Keep induction standard. It's so much better.

to continue in off-topicy fashion as a postscript to my Conti recommendation I now have sitting on the garage floor a pile of alloy wheels shod with 'Bridgestone Turanza ER300' {a Gumtree purchase). No idea {yet} what they're like wet/dry grip but my intention is that if I do another track day {here's hoping :) 🙏 } and its dry the Bridgestones may wear out less frighteningly fast than the Contis, then when they do wear I can get a set of racing tyres - semi-slick perhaps - cunning plan or what :LOL:
Regards, Rob
I would burn those Turanza's to keep yourself warm in the winter, as in my opinion that is all that would be good for. Admittedly I had them on a completely different car (Mazda 6 wagon - my family car) as they came standard on it from new in 225/45/19 & they were AWFUL. Terrible wet grip, wore prematurely on the edges (even with pressure monitoring & rotations) & had far too much road noise. Being the family car it isn't like I was ever pushing hard on them either but they spun on take off, understeered at low speed on corners.

You will never EVER go back from semi slicks once you fit them to a second set of rims. You can get entry level r-spec semis for about $120 a corner if you look around. Hands down, the best thing you will ever do for any car that is driven on a track (even if it is only once in a blue moon). Do your research on whatever you are buying first & compare reviews from similar cars to yours (eg don't compare a BMW M3 to a Suzuk swift or SS crumbledore to a WRX etc).

On a FWD hatch (206 gti 180), our race team has found Federal 595 RSR (205/45/16) & RSRR (205/55/15) rubber to be a good compromise for wear/cost/grip. The red gti 180 that was out at SMSP with you last week had Federal 595 RSRR in 215/40/17