Hydrorinsage?

citroenthusiast

Fellow Frogger
A well-known parts suppler here in the US suggested using low VOC mineral spirits as a substitute for hydrorinsage. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I would be concerned about the low viscosity and lack of lubricity if used as a hydraulic system cleaner...

Is hydrorinsage even still available? I would ask the US distributors for Pentosin and Motul and see if you can get the real stuff. Also maybe talk to your local Mercedes and Rolls dealers. I'm almost certain they use something similar for their hydraulic cars. Last resort, maybe import a few gallons of your own- not particularly explosive or flammable. Getting it through Customs might be an adventure, tho.

I have used dexron before. I know it won't damage the system. Mixing it with diesel sounds like an interesting option. Actually, it's only Thursday here, so I have two more sleeps before Easter. Happy Easter nevertheless!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if John (JBN) favours any particular flavour of ATF, but I used Dexron II, as that's what I have supplies of. Nice red color reminds you that it's not LHM :).

Generally I'm not in favour of mobilising previously non mobile particulate contamination.
However if you must..... I have used straight diesel.
But most important is to clean the tank thoroughly, and clean the inlet strainer/ filter element several times after such treatment.

My apologies for earlier stating that Hydraurincage was still being produced. Just found this on the clubXm forum in the UK

With this product [hydraurincage] now unavailable almost everywhere, I have had this today from Total UK:

" Thank you for your enquiry into the above product. I have done some investigation and this product was withdrawn from the UK market in 2012, as a company we did continue to manufacture this for other markets for several years more, but this was withdrawn globally in 2018. I have been advised by our UK technical manager this was a product used to flush the system before toping up with a LHM fluid, I have been advised the product to use for the flushing now would be the LHM fluid itself. "

The previous Citroen part no. was 1135001 (1 × 5-litre), but this has now been deleted.

I'm not sure if John (JBN) favours any particular flavour of ATF, but I used Dexron II, as that's what I have supplies of. Nice red color reminds you that it's not LHM :).
So when you use Dexron II as a flush, do you use it straight or in a 50:50 mix please? and what's the driving experience like with it in? Does it behave as LHM needs to?

So when you use Dexron II as a flush, do you use it straight or in a 50:50 mix please? and what's the driving experience like with it in? Does it behave as LHM needs to?
Generally I'm not in favour of mobilising previously non mobile particulate contamination.
However if you must..... I have used straight diesel.
But most important is to clean the tank thoroughly, and clean the inlet strainer/ filter element several times after such treatment.
Hi Budge

I think we both should take note of Bob's opinion - he has both training and vast experience in these matters, and I lack both.

However height correctors are known to become very slow to respond when they get clogged, and I put up with a non-functioning anti-sink valve for some years, so it's nice to have an alternative to removing, dismantling, cleaning, rebuilding and reinstalling complex and vital components. I presume Bob's concern is that if you successfully mobilise the sludge, it might gum up some other part of the works - the unadulterated diesel that he recommends would be a very effective solvent, and should deliver said sludge to the filters in the tank.

Also note the advice of the Total UK technical manager, that just changing the LHM is a form of flushing - presumably changing the LHM again after a couple of thousand km would be quite effective (emptying and cleaning out the tank, and cleaning the filters is vital of course).

I would read this thread - it was a really interesting discussion at the time, and a great example of the strengths of AF.
https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-lazy-mans-hydraulic-ride-improvement.118142/

Last edited:
Thanks. I passed up on some cheap Hydraurincage a couple of years ago. Wish i hadn't!

I'm planning to rebuild most of the hydraulic components (except rack I think) so the system should be clean. i just want something to flush it through. I wasn't keen on diesel because of the smell!

If I did use diesel Bob - can I drive the car around for 500 miles or so to flush everything through?

Why don't you just change the filters and LHM .... the height correctors being the lowest point will need to be whipped apart and cleaned. Quite straight forward to do ( DO NOT CLIMB UNDER THE CARS TO PULL THEM OFF WITHOUT SUPPORTING THE CAR FIRST !!!!)

Thanks. I passed up on some cheap Hydraurincage a couple of years ago. Wish i hadn't!

I'm planning to rebuild most of the hydraulic components (except rack I think) so the system should be clean. i just want something to flush it through. I wasn't keen on diesel because of the smell!

If I did use diesel Bob - can I drive the car around for 500 miles or so to flush everything through?
Yes, diesel is ok as a fluid for a short period.. maybe not 500 miles, 50 might be enough.

Thanks Bob. It's just the smell that will last a lot longer!

For the record, I've recently drained a 50:50 mix of ATF (Dexron II) and diesel fuel from a Xantia SX Wagon and refilled with LHM. The home brew was in the system for several months & several thousand km. I did have to fix one leak during that time, but that was caused by a crack in a hard & brittle return line (not too far from the reservoir) - not due to anything dissolving/melting.

When switching back to LHM, I flushed out almost all the ATF/diesel before reinstalling the tank. I put a container in place of the tank to catch what was coming out of the return lines, and a funnel into the end of the suction line which I elevated and filled with LHM. Started engine - ran with pressure release bolt open, then closed, until only green fluid was coming out of the return lines. I still have to bleed the brakes to get rid of the last of it.

Maybe I'm just insensitive to ride quality, but I really can't say I noticed much change when the LHM went in. Brakes and steering work fine either way. As I've mentioned before, the rear anti-sink valve, which was allowing the back to sink quite noticeably, and which was not improved by a couple of LHM changes, now works as it should.

Last edited:
Now we just need to get John T. (citroenenthusiast) to fix the spelling in the thread title :rolleyes:.

Now we just need to get John T. (citroenenthusiast) to fix the spelling in the thread title :rolleyes:.
In my defense, I spelled it phonetically since my keyboard doesn't support the accent cédille....
You can make these characters with any PC key board.

Turn on your number lock, press the "ALT" key and then a one/two/three/four digit code which is listed here.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/alt-codes-special-characters-keyboard-symbols-windows-list/

For example

Ç Alt 0199
é Alt 0233

I also found this:

https://www.fluentin3months.com/french-accent-marks/

The codes are at the bottom of the page.