How waterproof are switches near cup holders?

BlindFreddie

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Wondering if I am being over cautious not using the cup holder in my 308 T9 as it is next to the electric brake switch. I am concerned how waterproof these nearby switches are in the event of a spill.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bank on them being water proof.

I reckon you could make a pretty good argument that, to be fit-for-purpose, given where they are, they absolutely _should_ be waterproof (and that there's an implied warranty that the _are_ waterproof, or even _beverage_ proof).

But that just means you've got rights, not waterproof switches... 🙄

A splash of water is a completely different deal than a splash of milky coffee.
I know my koleos has had a bit of milky coffee spilled on its main data entry console. and apart from feeling a bit gummy as you'd expect, it still operates fine. It would be conservative to say it has only happed once.
If it was just plain water that spilled, I'd be very surprised if it made much difference to the switch's electrical or physical operation.

Jo

Thanks all for your replies. Like what natumbri said "But that just means you've got rights, not waterproof switches...".

Noticing on other threads Peugeot Australia seems to be tightening up on out of warranty claims so I won't be taking the risk.

Thanks all for your replies. Like what natumbri said "But that just means you've got rights, not waterproof switches...".

Noticing on other threads Peugeot Australia seems to be tightening up on out of warranty claims so I won't be taking the risk.
They are not tightening up on anything soft drinks are the killer of switches and circuits I would be more worried about the airbag and yaw sensor that lives under that console. I’ve done a heap of them on all sorts of brands no warranty would cover that.

Many thanks dmc. Never occurred to me what else could be affected by a spill. Definitely won’t be using the cup holder

Just watched the video you posted on the urea and emissions fault thread. Should be compulsory viewing for anyone buying a car up to ten years old.

Very important point made that the warranty and consumer law isn’t worth anything if the car dealer and manufacturers aren’t honourable.

Happy to report have had a very good run with Peugeot including out of warranty. Can’t say the same about VW as confirmed by the video.

Enjoy the driving the car, forget the coffee.