how to start racing?

casterbased

Fellow Frogger
i'm in south oz and want to get into hill climbs and circuit racing with my gti

what do i do and what will it cost?

Howdy,

If you want to get into hillclimbs etc your best bet is to first go along to a come and run day at Colingrove. I think they have one a year but I'm not 100% sure. You could get in touch with the Sporting Car Club as they own Colingrove and I think that they own part of Mallala as well. The only problem I've found with the SCC is that the modern section called "v-max" tends to be full of rice boys in their jap imports etc. I was a member for a couple of years but let it lapse because I was living in the country at the time.

But I don't think that you have to join the modern section! The main thing is to find a CAMS affiliated club in Adelaide and join them. Sadly none of the Peugeot car clubs are and they tend to be based around people with the older pugs. From what I've found out they dont seem really big on the new peugeot's joining them. And I've been in the whole car club scene and I'm not really that bothered by it all any more.

You can also just rock out to Mallala and attend one of their practice days which you dont require a CAMS license for and as long as you have a Fire Extinguisher and a helmet you can take your car out on the track and have a practice and learn your craft that way.

A couple of us from here have done advanced driving courses which are really good to help improve your skill and laptimes. I can recomend them!

Hope this helps you get started.

casterbased said:

Hi casterbased,

If you do decide to get involved with the wonderful world of motorsport, first search for a local cams affiliated car club that has a calendar of events that you prefer.
There is a list of clubs here…
http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?PageID=Clubs
From what gti138 said, It would seem the Sporting Car Club might be a good first call.
But the fact that they have a large rice boy membership might be a bonus :D . If you can put up with their dribble off the track you should soon get respect on the track :evil: .

Then the rest of the vehicle/driver requirements are spelt out here… http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?PageID=GettingStarted&ObjectID=6

I’m not sure how similar the cost would be from club to club but I pay $35 for annual club membership & about $75 entry fee for hillclimbs & circuit club days. A cams L2S licence will cost you $85.

Will

casterbased said:

..good man. To add to the good advise above, can I also recommend you do an advanced driver course. This will lay some good basic steps for you to develop on.
Must mention though that ANY motorsport is not cheap, and there will be some associated costs, in License's, fees, membership, and R&R on you car.
I would pick up a few race books from your local library too, with a focus on safety, also get ambulance cover just in case..........

Now that you have an idea of the nitty gritty, join a club go watch and see what you need to have a go!. - Chris

casterbased said:
COSTS:

Superpsrints / hillclimbs
CAMS affiliated club (no more then $70/yr) + CAMS L2S licence $89
Each event depending on the organising club will cost between $70 and $120. Try to go to events where marshals, tow truck and ambulance are present. You will pay a little extra but its a cheap insurance that in case worst happens you will be in professional hands.

Racing:
You will need C3 licence from CAMS (about $400) and driver accreditation course before you can get the C3 (organised by advanced driver training companies includes track time).
Each event (improved production racing or similar) will cost in the vicinity of $200+ to enter and I would strongly suggest getting another car to do it. Expect dings in your panels, and your car must be CAMS engineered (all at a cost to you).

cheers all, ive got one 205 gti that ive done up hi comp and use on the road, and a second gti which ive just got which i'm thinking of adding a few psi to, which will give it a bit more go around the track.

how does adding a snail affect classing etc on the track?

cheers for the responses