How to remove rear bumper from 206 GTi 180, '04 model

Mi16freak

Fellow Frogger
Hi, I now have my 206 GTi 180 with its collapsed rear trailing arm bearings fully repaired. I found a complete & sound rear axle beam, so did a swap. Had a few other issues to deal with before compliance was satisfied, a front wheel bearing, 4 new tyres, horn replacement, cleaning/flushing screen washers & replacing rear brake pads. A very neglected car. But it only cost me $1,125 at auction.
The rear bumper valance is badly scratched in many places & would be easier to work on if removed but having been under the car I can see very few securing bolts & screws but there is this enormous rear muffler in place of where a spare wheel would go.

Has anyone tried to remove a rear bumper on a GTi 180? If so I could use some help.

Are there fixings in behind the muffler, requiring removal of muffler?

I have seen a You Tube vid of standard 206 bumper removal but not helpful for the 180. Cheers

I can’t imagine they would be that different to a standard 206 bumper.
On the latter there are two torx screws holding up tabs underneath; two 10mm nuts which are attached from underneath - you need to pull back the plastic wheel guard liner for access; then the three (?) torx screws on the top underneath the tailgate lip.

Sounds like the muffler may be masking access to one or more of these?

bumper.jpg

Oh, and the two screws into the bottom of the guard liners as per #1 on the diagram above.
The number 3 I don’t think appears on the standard cars though, that may be your issue - edit, yes it does. That just refers to unplugging the rear fog light.

Oh, and for a quicker removal, you could always use this proven system..........................