How to remove a CX AEI Module? + Cleaning connectors.

Marion

Fellow Frogger
Hi friends.

Ive been attempting to do some of the things recently recommended to me on this forum as regards to my CX ignition system. (85'series 1 Pallas IE Auto petrol).

Ive cleaned every electrical connector and relay in sight under the hood as best as possible. However some of the bigger connectors seem impossible to pull apart for cleaning (eg the big black one above the battery and a couple of the white ones under the spare wheel.) I tried to spray electrical cleaner into these and It seemed to get in alright, do you guys think this will suffice?

I also attempted to pull an AEI module out of the glovebox of a parts car to swap into mine but couldn't reach whatever was holding the top of it in place. Does anyone know how best to remove these? Does the dash board have to come off?

Thanks for reading guys!
cheers, Moe.:)

I think it is slotted so just undo bottom screw and should wriggle out

Hi friends.

Ive been attempting to do some of the things recently recommended to me on this forum as regards to my CX ignition system. (85'series 1 Pallas IE Auto petrol).

Ive cleaned every electrical connector and relay in sight under the hood as best as possible. However some of the bigger connectors seem impossible to pull apart for cleaning (eg the big black one above the battery and a couple of the white ones under the spare wheel.) I tried to spray electrical cleaner into these and It seemed to get in alright, do you guys think this will suffice?

I also attempted to pull an AEI module out of the glovebox of a parts car to swap into mine but couldn't reach whatever was holding the top of it in place. Does anyone know how best to remove these? Does the dash board have to come off?

Thanks for reading guys!
cheers, Moe.:)

did you remove the spare wheel and any covers beneath it :confused: This is where most of the dodgy connectors were hiding on mine.

The actual connectors onto the computers you probably can't clean. You can check the terminals are bent or pushed back into the housings though.

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Shane,
yeah I cleaned the connectors under the spare wheel as much as possible. however I was unable to pull one or two of them apart, mostly the bigger white ones, though I did spray electrical cleaner into them, do you think that will be good enough to clean them?

cheers, Moe. :wink2:

Hi Shane,
yeah I cleaned the connectors under the spare wheel as much as possible. however I was unable to pull one or two of them apart, mostly the bigger white ones, though I did spray electrical cleaner into them, do you think that will be good enough to clean them?

cheers, Moe. :wink2:

Cleaner will do nothing, you need to pull the connector apart and check them (personally, I'd chop them out and solder the wires together. Most of the connectors were only needed for manufacture and don't really serve a purpose).

I'm not familiar with the computer on yours.... but they should just unplug.... Make sure there is no retainer clip you need to release first (if you have another ECU there, closely look at the connectors on it and see if there is anything to hold the connector into place).

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Moe,

Are you still battling with this issue? Let me know, and share some ideas on how to sort it out once and for all!

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi guys! thanks for checking in to see how I'm going. I finish exams next week so will finally have time to look at the CX again.

As for getting the computer out Double Chevron, maybe you have misunderstood? it's not the plugs that feed the wires in that i'm having trouble with, its whatever is holding the Unit to the underside of the dashboard. A bolt or something? Its very hard to reach. I can't even see it know know how it is held there. So I was wondering if there was a trick to getting it out?

As for cleaning toyiw, no I haven't tried heat, I actually can't see the comments about using heat so this is the first Ive heard about it.?? sorry

Thanks for the suggestion regarding chopping the connectors out Double Chev, Ill try that next.

And finally Andrew, Ill let you (and everyone else) know how I go in a couple of weeks. hopefully I will have good news :cool:

Cheers, Moe.