How many busted C4 windscreens?

newtocitroen

Tadpole
Noticed on this and other forums and even in test reviews that windscreens and even glass roof on the C4 coupes seem to break easily. Guess what! Within 2 months, the windscreen on mine got a slight tap from a stone and nearly split in two.:mad: This is the first smashed windscreen in 30 years of driving. In retrospect, the rotton thing was making noises from brand new, so I don't think the screens are fitted correctly in all cases, and the same may apply to the glass roof if you have one. So, how many other poor unfortunates are out there with busted glassware on their brand new car and have discovered the replacement cost of a windscreen is $867.00??:cry::cry:

newtocitroen said:
Noticed on this and other forums and even in test reviews that windscreens and even glass roof on the C4 coupes seem to break easily. Guess what! Within 2 months, the windscreen on mine got a slight tap from a stone and nearly split in two.:mad: This is the first smashed windscreen in 30 years of driving. In retrospect, the rotton thing was making noises from brand new, so I don't think the screens are fitted correctly in all cases, and the same may apply to the glass roof if you have one. So, how many other poor unfortunates are out there with busted glassware on their brand new car and have discovered the replacement cost of a windscreen is $867.00??:cry::cry:

The cost isn't surprising when I guess its a genuine Citroen screen, but don't most comprehensive insurance policies cover 1 screen per year without loss of no-claim bonus?

Even for a run-of-the-mill aussie car, a locally made non-genuine screen is around $400-500 retail I think.

Still, its a shame for a new car, hope they fix the creaking.

Cheers.

I remember reading somewhere, that it's due to the strain/stress on the glass, due to the shape? I think Alan posted a link to some forum, mentioning this.

I have a small stone chip on mine, nothing major, yet.

I'm covered by NRMA's windscreen policy anyway.

They are great cars but someone advised me this was due to body flex in the larger citroen range. I would contact your insurance company asap and get onto this issue. Like others have said the price is reasonable due to it being original French. :cry:

Uga Boga said:
I remember reading somewhere, that it's due to the strain/stress on the glass, due to the shape? I think Alan posted a link to some forum, mentioning this.

I have a small stone chip on mine, nothing major, yet.

I'm covered by NRMA's windscreen policy anyway.

someone wasn't using their noggins at citroen.

hmm....on this particular C4 review the glass roof on their test car cracked aswell! http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=10037&vf=1

Quote:
Our C4 also had the optional full-length fixed-glass roof, which on one country drive suddenly, and for no immediately discernible reason, cracked along its entire length.

The local Citroen importer says the crack was not stress related. It claims the roof had been hit by something at some stage, and the damage was a delayed consequence of the impact. This certainly didn't occur while we had the car, and we could find no obvious sign of any impact. Only the outer layer of glass cracked, which indicates that stress, created by body flex, was probably not the cause.

The car could still be safely driven.