How do you "lift" a 504?

peujohn

pur-john, not pew-john!
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I've just been in Tasmania for a few days, and did some bush-bashing with some mates in their 4wds. Now, my brother and I want to jack up his 504, maybe a couple of inches. Anyone got any clues how to go about this? I know it's been done before.

We're thinking of fitting an LSD and Sunraysia wheels too. I don't know much about LSDs, is it possible to change the ratio, or do you have to stick with the existing ratio?

John

You can change ratios, no problem... as for the lift, I'd reckon on longer springs and spacers for the rear crossmember... with appropriate changes for the various connections like the brake balance etc.

At the front, longer struts, some kind of lower inner mounts for the arms... a nightmare... the rack becomes a problem then... maybe 604 lower arms?

an old post re. the Dangel 4wd 504, should give a few ideas...

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000622" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000622</a>

John,

Dennis Barber raised his 504 wagon by fitting taller springs and/or spacers above the springs (I'm not 100% which he used at which end of the car).

To keep the front camber correct, he used 604 lower control arms. There's a picture of his wagon on my website.

On a sedan, when you raise the rear alot, you have to take into account the angle of the driveshafts, otherwise you will have decreased CV and CV boot/gaiter life. A wider rear track would help here (the shafts would be at less of an angle).

Dave

As far as driveshaft angle is concerned, couldn't some spacers be made up for the diff, say an inch or so; there would be minimal pivoting up at the engine mounts. (This is assuming you used spacers for the rear crossmember).

<small>[ 27 October 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: boodek ]</small>

You tend to run out of downward suspension travel very quickly.
My 504 TI tended to lift wheels of the ground just with the extra height gained by fitting gas rear shockers.
This was noticable (although I could be wrong here, I would like to talk to the owner) looking at the footage of the 505 in the Australian Safari this year.

Graham Wallis

my old man put taller stiffer springs in the rear of his TI for a while and it used to lift rear wheels while cornering as well
he didn't have them in there long because of this
but raising 504's has been done a few times

Maybe we should just buy a Subaru...

But a raised 504 would be fun. I guess it wouldn't have to be raised too much, as they already have lots of ground clearance, and bigger tyres would help too.

John

peujohn:
Maybe we should just buy a Subaru...
Early 1980s subaru wagons (the dual range transmission version) are fantastic off road with a set of 504/505/604 wheels and 185/80 14" Dunlop Adventurer tyres.

I gave a set of 504 wheels to a bloke with one of those wagons and he said that with the Dunlop Adventurers on it, he left all the Landcruisers for dead on Fraser island in the boggy spots. Being only about 1000kg the little Suby didn't sink into the ground like the heavy beasts. Combined with good fuel economy, a simple 1.8 engine, a reasonable ride and a body narrow enough to fit up overgrown trails, these Subaru wagons are a very good thing in my opinion.

There's a stack of info about modifying Subarus for off road conditions in the tech section of the Subaru club of Queensland website:

<a href="http://www.subaclub.com/" target="_blank">http://www.subaclub.com/</a>

Dave

<small>[ 27 October 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>

Dennis Barber placed 40mm metal spacers above near standard struts with 604 lower arms 7 mostly 604 steering arms using 15'' desert duellers the front of the wheel arch had to be widened . being a wagon nylon spacers were placed at bottom of rear springs and top shocker mounts lenghtened.
Jim Taylor raised his 504 sedan for the Winns safari all those years ago not sure what he did at the rear but I know he did have extension travel problems. he also used 15' Duellers.
Best contact Nichhols and co who entered the 505 in the Safari Graham W mentioned
Have Lots of fun, we did on Cape York in the wagon

Cool...I can ask Dennis about it when he is down here in a week or 2 ! looks and sounds really interesting!

I will get to meet him on his Tassie visit as he is going to borrow my 505 GTI for the duration :)

Ben

Hi, Colin's right we did have problems with the limit of travel with the Safari car but it was soooo high.

What you do find is that you tend to move the travel up the strut when you put in stiffer springs. That is, instead of using the bottom 1/3 of travel you are now using the top 1/3 (or less).

Our car was crazy with spacers under the rear Xmember and diff and raised spring platforms and bigger springs under the front. We used 604 LCArms and extended the tie rods. Whilst we ended up with a clear 300mm under it you always had a risk from drop off, the suspension always wanted to pull right down (the rear was strapped to limit this).

I suspect you wouldn't need to go to such great lengths if you just want to play in the bush.The first thing you could think about is just using bigger wheels. Dennis uses 195x14 on his rally car and this alone gives a good bit of extra clearance. Add to this a modest increase in spring height at both ends and you will probably achieve enough.

Won't bore you with any more detail here but if you want to discuss any detail just email.

Cheers

Jim