how can i keep DS up when in storage

levit8

Fellow Frogger
hey guys,
am new here and looking for some advice. :)
i have a couple of DSs and they are currently stored in my backyard, now sometimes i need to move vehicles around but because they have been sitting suspension has sunk to ground level.
i may just want to push cars forward without starting but cant because its too low.
so my question is ,is there someway that a DS can be made to stay up once engine has been running and suspension has lifted, i dont mean putting blocks between chassis and ground as the purpose of keeping car lifted is to move car without having to start everytime and being able to turn steering wheels etc. :crazy:
i was thinking about putting wooden blocks somewhere between suspension and chassis but not sure if that can be done,and if it can be done will having the car stay up with blocks do any damage to hydraulics in the long term.
am hoping someone out there has done this before and can explain what to do,any advice will be appreciated,thanks :cool:

Correct lengths of broomstick handle between the spheres and suspension cylinders.... Do NOT try to drive it like this. You'll need to jack the car up and remove the spheres with the car supported on high, then release the hyraulic pressure and insert the lengths of handle.

seeya,
Shane L.
PS: I've never done this myself, but heard of it a few times.

thanks for the info shane,sounds scary though, :cry:
is there a more simpler way to block car up without actually removing anything.
i dont intend driving car while blocked up, just need to be able to push around in backyard off and on for the next few months :(
at least until i can find a better place ( concrete floor, tin roof ) to better keep vehicles ,thanks again :)

Last edited:
It might sound scary, but it really isn't. The CCC archivist here in england, has made some solid aluminium billets to do the same thing as shane has suggested with the broom sticks. It's probably the only way to get a dead D onto a tow truck!
If you've never talen spheres off before, it will be good experience for you!
Give it a go, john s

DoubleChevron said:
Correct lengths of broomstick handle between the spheres and suspension cylinders.... Do NOT try to drive it like this. You'll need to jack the car up and remove the spheres with the car supported on high, then release the hyraulic pressure and insert the lengths of handle.

seeya,
Shane L.
PS: I've never done this myself, but heard of it a few times.

Is there a reason the spheres have to be removed?
If you put the car on high, insert the broomsticks or whatever, then put the car on low, the sticks would be trapped there under the car's weight n'est-ce pas ?
Am I overlooking something?

frogslegs said:
Is there a reason the spheres have to be removed?
If you put the car on high, insert the broomsticks or whatever, then put the car on low, the sticks would be trapped there under the car's weight n'est-ce pas ?
Am I overlooking something?
You did miss something! The broomsticks need to be INSIDE the hydraulic cylinders, so when the car settles, it can't sink. That, is the whole point of the exercise- the car must be on high all the time so it can be pushed easily, but not have to be started. john s

Another way is to raise the car and put a blcok of wood between the bump stop and the suspension arm, easy on the rear, a little more difficult in the front.

The car should move just as easily on low as on high provided the ground is level so maybe you don't need to jack it up ?

The broomsticks work well, I had a dead DS in my backyard, we did that and then winched it onto a car trailer, the car then travelled around 4ookm to it's final destination. You might only need to do the front rams.
Cheers.

thanks for all the tips guys,
should be able to figure it out now :wink2:
ground isnt level petermelb otherwise i wouldnt bother with this,will try your block method first though :D