How is it?

• Pretty bad

• Average

• Quite good actually

Results are only viewable after voting.

GTIPug

Tadpole
Tadpole
I keep seeing (including on this forum) a fair bit of critique towards the engine in 2011-2014 models and 508 in particular.

Compared to C5 it has conventional suspension and non-diesel powerplant. Otherwise, similar PSA vehicle.

What's so off about it?

Early EP turbos (2010) had a few serious teething troubles, particularly with timing chains and water pumps, sometimes with coolant outlets. By now all should have been replaced with the new versions of these components. It was done under warranty, and continued to be done at the manufacturer's expense afterwards. There can't be many cars not done now.

A VIN check at a dealer will confirm this work was done.

I haven't heard of a 508 tendency with this. The engine is in many models of Peugeot and Citroen and all were affected. In the small cars it's the "hot" sport option while the more modest performers can be fitted with a naturally aspirated version of the EP engine.. The large heavier cars could be got with the turbo as a petrol option. Currently the turbo is all you are offered. The design passes current pollution standards.

At the end of the day regardless of what anyone says in 20 years it won’t be running to hot to higher pressure but good for now.

I have worked on ep6 engines since they came out they realistically have a shelf life of 6-9 years I just could never pay my money to own one the thp 200s and 270s seem better.

Mine is 12 years old, and apart from the warranty stuff (chain etc) has needed no repairs. It has always been serviced correctly, and has had a port clean out (which is really a long term service). It spends too much time in city work.

I do appreciate that I'm unlikely to rebore it or machine a crankshaft, and it will never achieve the mileages of an RHH diesel.

I haven't had any issues with my 2015 1.6THP. Realistically they are good for about 200,000km and will get costly to maintain after that. Still see plenty of older Pugs with these engines getting around. The main issues seemed to be the chain, tensioner and guides which have all been revised over the years.

Realistically I’ve seen the good the bad and the ugly and I have a reference point of more than one or two cars.
Is there a large difference between highway driven cars and city cars in your experience?

Either way, I'm not planning on having my 270 past 100,000. Hopefully by then I will have bought, restored and rebuilt a GTi6 to park in my garage as a homage to the last great naturally aspirated cars.