Hotchkiss Gregoire

4cvg

1000+ Posts
Admirers of Gregoire (I'm one) might be interested to learn that Sam Glover, the technical editor of the British magazine Practical Classics, has acquired a 1953 Hotchkiss Gregoire. The initial (purchase) story is in the current-in-Oz (express delivery) Feb. 2015 issue. No doubt further stories will follow in future issues.

cheers! Peter

Thanks Peter. We're a very small group.... I'll have to find that issue.

Cheers

You can get an online subscription for PC.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen the hard copy recently (last few years) in the shops.

Just realised Fuzz is on Car SOS.

You can get an online subscription for PC.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen the hard copy recently (last few years) in the shops.

Just realised Fuzz is on Car SOS.
If it isn't at Floreat, online is a good idea - thanks for the suggestion. :)

Cheers

If it isn't at Floreat, online is a good idea - thanks for the suggestion. :)

Cheers

Where is the "best" place to purchase car magazines in Perth? I am interested in all the classic car magazines as well as car racing mags. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

John T

Where is the "best" place to purchase car magazines in Perth? I am interested in all the classic car magazines as well as car racing mags. Any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers John T /QUOTE]

Where on earth in Perth is Gundaroo?? Google Earth is adamant that it is in NSW....

Many larger newsagents stock most of the usuals, Floreat being no exception there. They tend to have Classic and Sports Cars, Motor Sport used to be there but not Practical Classics. They seem to have all the Oz-based mags, including the 4WD ones, and some of the individual marque efforts. Good shop in general actually.

Beyond that, I've no idea to be honest. That's the best one near us that I've found or looked for.

Cheers

I have an extra trigger assembly and was wondering who in the machine gun world could put this stock and pistol grip on the hotchkiss trigger assembly

Thanks

Hey interesting that Gregoire merged with Hotchkiss, a lot of auto mergers arose in the fifties.
This sounds like a positive merger progressive like Renault with Gordini or Austin with Healey.
In the vintage car days Hotchkiss was a reliable marque made in France by an American immigrant.
The cars became common as taxis in the UK during the nineteen twenties.
Hotchkiss were in their heyday in the thirties and forties with quality cars similar to Berliet and others.
I think the RHD ones we got in AU were built in the UK Hotchkiss factory.
Gregoire we all know was an inventor widely renowned as an auto-engineering genius for his unique mechanical designs.
Gregoire even tried sorting out everyday cars such as his Renault 750 suspension modification which has dual axis coil springs and quite a nifty concept to reduce the body-roll!
~

Hotchkiss was taken over by Peugeot after the war and eventually closed down. Hartnett had the import rights for Hotchkiss but never imported the larger car. Interestingly a new parts dealer for Hotchkiss for Australia was appointed as late as 1951. The large French grape harvesters that work at Coonawarra are often made by Gregoire. What link if any to the car designer I don't know.

Reims auto museum 2007.
IMG_8627a.jpgIMG_8628a.jpgIMG_8629a.jpgIMG_8630a.jpgIMG_8631a.jpgIMG_8632a.jpgIMG_8633a.jpg

Thanks for that.

There are some approaches to vehicle engineering that manage to be aesthetically satisfying as well as technically interesting.

cheers! Peter

I'm impressed that the vehicle is fitted with Dunlop SP3's!

Attachments

• reims2.jpg
    reims2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 957
Yes - that rings a showing my age bell with me too, but what's fitted to the rear? Crossplies?

Probably. Bit of shame when you look at the beautifully made alloy bits the back wheels are hanging off! I'm not too familiar with the cars but I assume that like in Britain after the war, steel was hard to come by but there was a plentiful supply of aluminium. (The Land Rover used aluminium for it's body, not most of the chassis!)

hey i reckon the idea is great a water cooled flat four so by comparison vee dubs were primitive

Another magazine article on the H-G, this time in the British monthly Classic & Sports Car July 2015.

cheers! Peter

Another magazine article on the H-G, this time in the British monthly Classic & Sports Car July 2015.

cheers! Peter

Very interesting article too, for which thanks. Interesting man Gregoire - "Best Wheel Forward", the translation into English of his biography ("L'Aventure Automobile" by Charles Meisl) is a good read.

Fatally flawed at most levels, that Hotchkiss could only fail. It sounds as if it would have been pretty good if properly done and somehow made affordable. Curious points? Non-synchro top gear (smacks of "what can we do in the time available and with the money available") and the progressive rate suspension come to mind let alone the main Gregoire alloy casting etc etc. Jean-Pierre's Gregoire rear suspension on his Renault 4CV in Paris certainly has a few grease nipples and pivots.

Thanks for the information Peter.