Hot pensioner cars

I reckon you should go for some butch looking 4WD tyres. Get some spotlights for the front, maybe a winch too :)

Come the zombie apocalypse you'll thank me ;)

I reckon you should go for some butch looking 4WD tyres. Get some spotlights for the front, maybe a winch too :)

Come the zombie apocalypse you'll thank me ;)

Personally I have never needed a winch, (which is a tool that allows you to get 100 metres further into the bog before you get stuck) and whilst my older cars R10, R16, R12 needed driving lights, the lights on later vehicles have not required supplementary illumination. You did forget to add a bullbar to the front, two rear wheel tyre carriers, a side awning fitted to a roof rack, shovel on the bonnet, a high lift jack and extraction boards in sexy colours. Then and only then would you be ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Personally I have never needed a winch, (which is a tool that allows you to get 100 metres further into the bog before you get stuck) and whilst my older cars R10, R16, R12 needed driving lights, the lights on later vehicles have not required supplementary illumination. You did forget to add a bullbar to the front, two rear wheel tyre carriers, a side awning fitted to a roof rack, shovel on the bonnet, a high lift jack and extraction boards in sexy colours. Then and only then would you be ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Quite right. Sorry, shocking oversight on my part...

Hmm! Nothing very good is available in either size. Excluding the more dubious gives the following medium lists by reference to your criteria:

205/70-15
Hankook Kinergy Eco 2
Kumho EcoWing ES 01 KH27
Michelin Energy XM2+
Michelin Primacy SUV

The first 3 are all similar in performance profile & are more or less in my order of preference. The wild card is the Primacy SUV. Like many SUV tyres, it's heavily siped (an attempt to restore wet grip given that the compound is usually harder to resist being chopped up by a lumpen object resisting being moved around). A result of that siping would be some tread instability & squirm on turn-in. The Primacy is a class above the rest of the tyres (Premium, not Eco) but that might not mean much. I know of no tests of it. The Primacy range is of very mixed quality & I am tentative in short-listing the SUV but that is what I shall do. At the moment, it has a $100 cash back deal operating.

The Eco 2 also has a deal on (4 for the price of 3). It is my other short-listed tyre.

215/65-15
Hankook Kinergy Eco 2
Falken ZE 914
Kumho EcoWing ES31
Kumho EcoWing ES 01 KH27 (replaced by the ES31)
Michelin Energy XM2+

All roughly similar in performance profile &, again, roughly in my order of preference.
My choice would be the Eco 2 on the grounds that it has a deal on now. I have no grounds for thinking that extra money would gain a better tyre.

So, not a lot of difference in tyre choice connected to size. The mass of the 205/70 would be a bit less, favouring ride the extra width of the 215 would give a bit more grip all round. But you might not even notice such minor differences.

Given your concern about price, the Eco 2 in 205/70 is $137 per tyre (164 for the Primacy SUV). The Eco 2 is 147 for 215/65.

None of these medium listed tyres are rubbish but nor are any of them wonderful. However, by reference to your criteria, I think that you might be best served by the Eco 2 in 205/70.

cheers! Peter

I put a set of Hankook Kinergy Eco 2 on my Mum's i30 and she is happy. They live out in the sticks so highway performance is key.

And on a 4 for 3 deal it was a no brainer. https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/ty...35/205-70r15/180523?q=4&deliverypostcode=2600

IMG_0442.jpeg

I put a set of Hankook Kinergy Eco 2 on my Mum's i30 and she is happy. They live out in the sticks so highway performance is key.

And on a 4 for 3 deal it was a no brainer. https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/ty...35/205-70r15/180523?q=4&deliverypostcode=2600

View attachment 136498

We have had nothing but great results from using Hankook products on the Koleos over the years from 2009. The Megane Intens sedan came fitted with Continentals, two of which were down to illegal inside three years and less than 20,000km and they would not hold air. We replaced them with Hankook Ventus Prime 3 - 225/40R18 which are quieter, ride better and seem to hang on just as well wet and dry but more importantly don't seem to be porous!