• Tapatalk and Mobile iOS/ Android APPs no longer supported on aussiefrogs.com. Please delete on your device. Use the web interface instead.

Home Made Special Differential Bearing Nut Wrench [Renault]

Artificer

Had a few minutes to spare so decided to give this a go ~ <1 hour later & all done.
1 piece of 65mm OD muffler tube
Alternate tube size for other marque vehicle nuts
Scribe 7mm from 1 end line around tube
Draw 18 equidistant lines down to meet the scribe mark
3 cutting discs mounted on an angle grinder
Grind along the same side of each of the 18 lines carefully, with a steady hand.
Drill 2 holes @ the other end of the tube to facilitate a turning bar [not shown on the example].
Clean up & all done.

Attachments

COL

Alpine A110
Good work, I made mine out of a large washer and a piece of 38mm NB pipe.

Then a proper factory one became available on Ebay so bought that.

schlitzaugen

1000+ Posts
I made mine from another nut, just bolted a flat piece of stock across the back. That way I have aluminium (and the same cast at that) to work against aluminium rather than steel against Aluminium.

Artificer

The absolute advantage of what was quickly & inexpensively manufactured is that the tool full engages & leverages from the bottom of the recess & between the teeth just as Renault's steel special purpose tool ~ totally unlike the reverse nut situation described above that is only leveraging on the exposed unsupported aluminum lug tops. Aluminium on aluminium has no advantage whatsoever, in such a situation.

Still if what one chooses works without something breaking, bonne chance.

Dano

1000+ Posts
Had a few minutes to spare so decided to give this a go ~ <1 hour later & all done.
Grind along the same side of each of the 18 lines carefully, with a steady hand.
Drill 2 holes @ the other end of the tube to facilitate a turning bar [not shown on the example].
Clean up & all done.

Nice work. The neater the fit the better the result. Thanks for sharing the concept.

Dano

1000+ Posts
Clean up & all done.

Nice work. The neater the fit the better the result. Thanks for sharing the concept.

COL

Alpine A110
The depth of the slots on the factory tool is 5.6 mm. The washer that I cut my slots into is 5 mm thick.

The slots in my home tool are not all that neat but still spread the load across the teeth OK. I have never broken or bent any teeth with the home made tool. The trick with this type of tool is to spread the load across all the teeth evenly.

Dano

1000+ Posts
The real McCoy, posted on a French site back in 2018. Sadly long since gone.

Things you find when looking for some thing else.

Artificier, yours looks pretty spot on for a knock off.

Wanoda 364 Tool for Renault R12 R15 R16 R1 R207

Uploaded by Tool on 13-October-2018 at 15:03

3 photos available Price: 60 € Postal code: 25480 City: Ecole-Valentin Region: Franche-Comté Category: Auto Equipment Description: Wanoda 364 tools for Renault R12 R15 R16 R17 R20 Slot wrench for differential bearing nut In good condition As facom wilmonda Wanoda fenwick Period and professional equipment Ideal for restoring or maintaining your car Possibility to pay by check or paypal To see my other advertisements type tool25
SPECIALIZED TOOLS - Page 4 1814e310

SPECIALIZED TOOLS - Page 4 20fd9410