High beams

Winnie Rout

Tadpole
Good morning! Please excuse my ignorance, but I’ve just picked up a 2nd hand Peugeot 405 and have no idea how to activate the high beam headlights. I can make them flash by pulling the stick towards me but not make them stay on. I’ve tried turning the stick all the way like you do on most other cars to activate the high beams but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.The headlights are a little dim and really need the high beams on country roads.

The lever is meant to click when you pull towards you, alternating at each pull between high and low. Click high. Click low. It may be broken.

Unfortunately the 405 has poor lights without modifying the wiring to increase current to the lamp unit. I never got round to it on mine and the lights were terrible.

Probably those pesky poor earthing points on the side panels near the front of the engine bay.
Give them a good clean up and see what happens!

Cheers
Roland

That's a small part of it, but the main reason is the light gauge wire used in the headlight harness. It requires heavier gauge wire from relays driven by the original harness. (I actually half installed this on my old Mi16, but removed my handywork when I gave the car away because I bought top quality relays I wanted to keep). But tested, it made a big difference.

There are two relays - one to flash the other holds in high beam when the lever is pulled with the headlights on.