hidden car audio

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi guys,

has anyone figure out a (budget) way of getting hidden sound in there car ..... Last year I got about 1/2 way through making up a center console for the shitbox .... at which point I lost interest :rolleyes:

shitbox_console.jpg

it was really fiddly to get the single DIN unit to fit in there ... nigh on impossible ( its the factory position, which also left the radio "sort of" sitting otu). Anyway, last time I put the shitbox into low range, I manged to break the screen on the ALDI head unit (which was perfect for the car, bluetooth, USB/mp3 and reversing camera screen)

Does anyone have suggestions on a remote unit that I could mount else that has a screen for the cheap arse reversing camera fitted to the car (I only use the reversing camera for easy backing up to trailers/caravans).

Geez, you're going about it like a carpenter.

I see some unused dash real estate above those vents.

I also see a tray shaped thingo just to the right of that space. Maybe you could find a unit with a remote screen that can fold down into that tray? Or ditch the tray, use the space? Can you post a picture of the entire dash?

Geez, you're going about it like a carpenter.

I see some unused dash real estate above those vents.

I also see a tray shaped thingo just to the right of that space. Maybe you could find a unit with a remote screen that can fold down into that tray? Or ditch the tray, use the space? Can you post a picture of the entire dash?
yeah I have thought about that. or a roof console. something like an android touchscreen with a remote amplifier would be better though :)

I would avoid that kinda thing. Might be cooler but you're subject to software bugs and stuff like that. There's a reason cars don't run Windows (or whatever). I am sure you can get remote (wireless) screens just not sure if that would be in the budget. My personal preference would be to keep it as simple and basic as possible. It's a car, not an entertainment room.

A few years ago I made up a backing plate for a headunit with an extension cable so that I could mount the headunit in the glove box and have the face plate of the radio on the e dashboard with nothing behind it. Worked well til I lent the car to somebody who thought they could improve on my design and it never worked again. Anyway, if you look online you can find amps that you could mount under seat or in boot that have Bluetooth built in. If you want something a bit more adaptable and within radio options have a look at ebay for Bluetooth modules with radio built in. I have bought a few of these and used them in a few things, typically you’ll get a box around 4cm by 10cm that’s got a digital display, a few buttons, a remote sensor, a usb slot, and often an sd slot. It’s nice and compact and can provide a range of media including Bluetooth streaming and calls. They have line level outputs so can plug into a traditional amplifier. Not hard to hide a box that small and very adaptable to your needs for under $15, plus whatever you can find an amp for.

A few years ago I made up a backing plate for a headunit with an extension cable so that I could mount the headunit in the glove box and have the face plate of the radio on the e dashboard with nothing behind it. Worked well til I lent the car to somebody who thought they could improve on my design and it never worked again. Anyway, if you look online you can find amps that you could mount under seat or in boot that have Bluetooth built in. If you want something a bit more adaptable and within radio options have a look at ebay for Bluetooth modules with radio built in. I have bought a few of these and used them in a few things, typically you’ll get a box around 4cm by 10cm that’s got a digital display, a few buttons, a remote sensor, a usb slot, and often an sd slot. It’s nice and compact and can provide a range of media including Bluetooth streaming and calls. They have line level outputs so can plug into a traditional amplifier. Not hard to hide a box that small and very adaptable to your needs for under $15, plus whatever you can find an amp for.
that's interesting. I need the screen for the reverse camera (it drives me crazy backing upto trailers/caravan without the camera ... and the dozen time I get out to check how close I am :) ...).

looking up joying took me straight to here. There appears to be a huge range of android head units available.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/android-head-units.4267/

I'm betting the ALDI head unit I have in the car is an android unit as sold by joying. I just need one with a remote screen so the head unit can be mounted somewhere else. I'd also fit one to the other cars if it works well :)

Why not get one of the reverse cameras thats on built in the rear view mirror. I have one in the koleos (for the same reason reversing up to caravans and trailers). Honestly been a good peice of kit

Why not get one of the reverse cameras thats on built in the rear view mirror. I have one in the koleos (for the same reason reversing up to caravans and trailers). Honestly been a good peice of kit
That could be an option, but I know need a radio as well as I've broken the screen on the one I fitted to the car :)

Hi :)
I have a reversing screen that is a mirror. I found it is unsatisfactory and hard to see unless the light is perfect. I replaced it with a screen that is better to see.
Jaahn

Hi Guys This post is a month old, but I hope you are still working on it :)
I am about to install a double DIN 7" screen into the tomtom spot in a 2010 Koleos. I think it will fit, but getting power to it was a slight problem and a bigger problem will be how to connect it to the car speakers. Currently trying to slide the radio unit out to find the speaker cables.

Hi Guys This post is a month old, but I hope you are still working on it :)
I am about to install a double DIN 7" screen into the tomtom spot in a 2010 Koleos. I think it will fit, but getting power to it was a slight problem and a bigger problem will be how to connect it to the car speakers. Currently trying to slide the radio unit out to find the speaker cables.
How'd this go? I'm interested in doing something similar

It's all done and I now have a choice of mapping apps plus rear view camera working well on the touch screen, but I'm not using android auto software.
I have retained the original radio sound system and speakers connected via bluetooth.
I actually made up the required keys to release the radio but there is something else still locking it to the aircon unit above. I eventually realised I should keep it anyway as it's no doubt better quality than the touch screen unit.
I have also kept the original tomtom tucked away underneath as it is needed to interface the dash and steering column controls to the car audio. You just don't need to see it.
I can play audio from my phone by bluetooth and see the track info on the touch screen, by the cable connection.

7" touch screen with original Tomtom underneath.

Attachments

• received_470975340894628.jpeg
    received_470975340894628.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 176