Hey all you Renault 17 enthusiasts

David Cavanagh

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have just scored 2 only, brand new windscreen rubbers, geniune, in original packaging with part numbers, email me for a price, remember my new email address, frenchco@alphalink.com.au

Seeyas,
David.

Hey lads lap some of these up, theres some good ones there.

17racing2.jpg

17racing3.jpg

17rondeterre75.jpg

gr2aout74b.jpg

17gordmaroc74.jpg

Fantastic Photos. It was definatly a better car than the Renault 12 that I had 2 yrs ago. I think they are even better looking than the Renault 15, I dont like like that huge back window

Well...... that's enough to get any red-blooded reno enthusiast drooling- particularly the yellow one!! This wasn't by any chance the one that competed recently in the Targa Tasmania was it? Where did you come across those pics Ash?
Awesome- any way Ash why would you want to sell your 17 after seeing those....

Seeya Ben

Ben

Thats exactley what I said to myself.
Ya can get them looking pretty nice hey ?
Also I'll be in NZ for 2 weeks as of Monday

Thing I want now is, bigger wheels, lowering job, and a quicker lump ;)

All these pics and other info can be found on this R15/R17

<a href="http://perso.wanadoo.fr/amicale.r15r17/" target="_blank">http://perso.wanadoo.fr/amicale.r15r17/</a>

site its in french but you can make most of it out.

Would'nt mind this late model Reno DOHC
Ashley

mot1800_16v_inj.jpg

The Targa Tasmania car was a metallic blue 17TL, apparently they had lots of problems with the rules, even to the point of being picked on over wanting an electric fan rather than the stock motor driven cooling fan. On the TV it showed the car seemingly stock right down to 4.5" rims and the original hubcaps.

Hey 17 o philes check out the 17TS for sale in Queanbeyan in the NSW section of the <a href="http://www.tradingpost.com.au" target="_blank">www.tradingpost.com.au</a> site. Yellow with sunroof the dude wants 3k but I'm sure you could talk him down.

Ash, this is the ideal vehicle for your planned FSM Nikki engine transplant :)

cheers!

Yea Not to sure if I'd go back to another R17, Not saying that there bad, its just I'd like to try a 10S or a pepped up R8.
I was just Browsing the NSW trading post (thanks BOG)and saw a R10S Which sounds to be in pretty good nik but he wants 5K for it. I'll see if he lowers his price later on.

I was just Browsing the NSW trading post (thanks BOG)and saw a R10S Which sounds to be in pretty good nik but he wants 5K for it. I'll see if he lowers his price later on.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I saw that one too, first reaction is "tell him he's dreamin.." but then again it could be an exceptional vehicle...in which case "tell him he's dreamin..." and make a really low offer.

If I was asking $5k I'd really be willing to supply jpegs, etc in an effort to differentiate my 10s from those owned by the commoner folk...or something like that.

It would be good to find out some more about that car. Hoipe tat you pick it up for sixpence or thereabouts :cool:

Hey Ash,
if you are just after a thrash car - an 18turbo or fuego turbo powerplant/ with std 4spd in a 17 /15 would go like a rocket- and surely be easier than a hot 8 to 10- or maybe they are more common in OZ?

Aside from that, on that 15/17 site did you notice how that yellow 17 ( if I read it correctly) weighed 850kg! and had around 200hp or more? hate to think how many $$$ are invested there.... and was it just me or did the 'phase two's' look funny from the front?

Ash- (are you in NZ now?)- if you are in Ak give my brother a call- and you can take my 18 turbo for a quick blat to see how it goes if you like...

seeya ben

Hi ya

Yea Ben I got back from NZ Yesterday and had a whale of a time. Would of liked to have caught up and had a look at your Reno collection, but we had so much on and in so little time.

<a href="http://www.queenstown.com/myphotos/view_photo.php?media_id=4583" target="_blank">http://www.queenstown.com/myphotos/view_photo.php?media_id=4583</a>

Where abouts in NZ are you? Because we did the Nth and Sth Island spent most of out time on the Sth Island. Only spent one Night in Auckland.
I’m goin back in Aug/Sept for the Snow, should try and work something out then.

Yea Bog 5K is a far bit for a R10S but then again its proberley in pretty decent Nik, well it'd wanna be. Might give him a Buzz later on.

Ash

Originally posted by Renault17:
[QB]was it just me or did the 'phase two's' look funny from the front?
QB]<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I have to agree that the second series of 15's and 17's looked pretty ugly. It was a crime against humanity the way they took a reasonably nice looking front end and ruined it with a restyle. I'm glad they never sold them in Australia.

Dave McBean

Ditto Dave, but the crime gets worse than that, from memory the UK series 2 Gordini's lost there disc rear end, there 5 speed box became an overdrive type and there fuel injection turned into a carby. Not only did it turn ugly but it didn't go or stop either.
Q.
How do you ruin a bloody good car?
A.
Ask Renault to improve it.

David.

Looks like that yellow 17 has had a 4 stud conversion (R18 perhaps?)- with 260 odd Hp I wonder how much of it you could call a 17!!

Still I guess as long as it is reno stuff- wonder what the basis for the motor is.....and whether or not a detuned version is available.....1800cc makes you think it could be a r18 motor? Anyone got any ideas...

Ben

Just checked the photo on that website of the motor- it has the waterpump of the back of the motor just like the 17- surely they haven't coaxed 263 hp out of a 17 motor? I see it started life as a gordini - someone defo got very deep pockets...

ps the later wheels on it look heaps better too.

pps who sells the fibreglass bits and pieces (in OZ- was it Caravelle) for these- does it include gaurds too?

That NSW 10S for sale could be an ex SA car. There was a Sunburst Brown 10S that was sold to someone over there about five years ago. Very tidy, very original.

The Series 2 17 Gordini never was sold in RHD, the car you are describing David is the Series 2 17TS or R1318 with rear drums and basically 18GTS running gear, it was the replacement for the Series 1 R1312 17TL. The Series 2 R1317 17 Gordini was only sold in Europe with only a handful being manufactured. Mechanical specs were the same as the R1317 17TS and Gordini.

Ben, we never got the turbo versions of the 18 into AUS. There are a few private import Fuego Turbo's (there is at least one in QLD, and one in SA). An 18 Turbo was imported in 1981/82 by the then AUS distributors LNC for display and evaluation. That one is still kicking as it was for sale some time ago.

I find it strange that in the 1960's '70's and '80's that NZ got French manufactured Renault's and AUS assembled its own. Just goes to show the effect of Government constraints that made it cheaper to import from the other side of the world rather than just across the Tasman!

Simon

Ben,
Those fibreglass panels, we are working on them, gaurds and front spoiler but there still a long way off so don't hold your breath.
Simon,
If my memory serves me correct, UK used to get the series 1 R17TL and TS/Gordini like we got and they were replaced by the one version of the series 2 R17TS as you described. Is this right?

David.

David,

That's right in the UK the 17TL S1 was replaced by the 17TS S2, but the G wasn't replaced. Don't know why, although the G was always an expensive car.

Simon