Help wanted please

Fihen

Tadpole
My car is 206cc 2003 build with 1.6 dohc engine and climate control. Recently my car registers on the dash temp gauge an overheated coolant system and when I check nothing is wrong and if I continue to drive the temp
needle returns to normal and a short time later the whole thing starts over. I was told that this fault could be the heater blower resistor or hedgehog. I purchased a resistor which looks like a boxy thing and fits on heating ducting and that to access it you pull it through the duct etc. My problem is that I have not been able to locate this resistor and out of sheer frustration have removed the dash in the hope that I can access it. All to no avail. Further research revealed that as my heater blower has what is described as a Hedgehog I am starting to suspect that the hedgehog [spikey thing] is the resistor and I am on a fools errand looking for one in the heatger ducting.
Hopefully this all makes sense because I am at wits end.

I don't know anything specific about 206CCs, :confused: but :

Could the cause of this be an incorrectly bled cooling system ?
Has it has anything replaced on the cooling system recently ?
Failing that, has there been a small leak at all, resulting in your filling it up, but perhaps not bleeding the air out ?

The reason I ask is that my old 406 used to give high temp, then low temp readings when the water got a bit low.

You need a coolant temp sensor.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I guess that is the most simple, straightforward and elegant solution.

My car is 206cc 2003 build with 1.6 dohc engine and climate control. Recently my car registers on the dash temp gauge an overheated coolant system and when I check nothing is wrong and if I continue to drive the temp
needle returns to normal and a short time later the whole thing starts over. I was told that this fault could be the heater blower resistor or hedgehog. I purchased a resistor which looks like a boxy thing and fits on heating ducting and that to access it you pull it through the duct etc. My problem is that I have not been able to locate this resistor and out of sheer frustration have removed the dash in the hope that I can access it. All to no avail. Further research revealed that as my heater blower has what is described as a Hedgehog I am starting to suspect that the hedgehog [spikey thing] is the resistor and I am on a fools errand looking for one in the heatger ducting.
Hopefully this all makes sense because I am at wits end.

Like Beano & Dave McCurtayne, I can't see how a problem in the cooling system could be caused by components of the climate control. Certainly the opposite is true (if your heater stops working, check coolant level), but the heater/climate control should not affect engine cooling. Heater blower resistor affects the cabin fan! (and of course your comfort levels), but that should be all. Really think someone has sent you on a wild goose chase...

Taking on board that you have found nothing apparently wrong with the engine cooling, then faulty coolant temperature sensor seems logical - indeed probable! Air in the cooling system also worth checking - especially if the 1.6 motor lacks a degassing tank (found on the ES9J4S V6 motor - labelled '7' on this diagram https://www.ilcats.ru/peugeot/?func...bsubgroup=FCT0009&part=D9G113G42A&language=en ).

Apart from those two issues, it's hard to think what else could cause the problem, unless it were a faulty gauge, or other electrical fault. Don't worry, if the problem is in the wiring harness or the engine bay fuse box, you'll soon discover lots more problems!

CHeers

Alec

Thanks Alec you have given me a lot to process. On the chance that it is the coolant temp sensor I have purchased one from Pugwreck and it should be waiting for me when I get home. No doubt I will get there some time. Have to the alarm tone is annoying.

Morning Fihen, I have a stat write off red 206cc with 1.6 engine and manual box. It was readily driveable after the tilt tray dropped it off. If you need any parts to test for cures for your woes let me know if that suits you.