Help wanted: 407 2.0 HDi power loss/surging issues

JB405

Tadpole
2006 407 2.0L Turbo Diesel. Auto. 110,000kms.

Every 500-800km the car will be driving along and revs will drop suddenly and lose all power. As if you've lifted your foot off the throttle.
When you pull over it will idle very rough and blow a heap of black smoke.
If you keep driving and knock it back a couple gears and force it to rev (when this happens so regularly you eventually lose all patience and just floor it) it will surge and carry on for a few km's and then be back to normal... for another 500 odd km's.

It's like clockwork, always between 500-800km's. Could be hot or cold. Highway or slower speeds. Fuel tank full or low.

Surely other Pug owners have experienced the same thing?? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Anything that commonly fails that will cause such issues?
I've found other similar threads but nothing the same with a solution. Thanks

On the open road? Any code there for regen trouble? Have you read the OBD port for errors?

On the open road? Any code there for regen trouble? Have you read the OBD port for errors?

Yes, on the open road. At 110km/h. or it may happen at low speeds also. Have taken the car to a mechanic to check for codes and errors but no luck.

When it's playing up, try removing the vacuum lines from the Y peace at the front of the engine and see if it return to normal.

Morning JB405, have been working on a sedan which could be a twin to yours save for having double the km's. The owner advised that the first event was a sudden loss of power which self cured after a short cooling off. Stayed fine for a month or two then a repeat, which became more frequent and more annoying. Mechanics looked and were unable to be definite as to what and the cost. It goes well now following the replacement of the DPF pressure sensor (an easy task and cheap if you have a donor car), fitting of a restrictor to the EGR and the repair of the turbo to throttle body hose which had a split of about 37mm up close to the throttle body and was the culprit causing the P0299 DTC of 'turbo underboost.' It is understood that replacing that hose is not an uncommon necessity. The DPF icon shows if it is pushed a bit and a forced regen may be necessary now that the sensor is functional.

The km interval, occurrence on the open road, and the changed combustion suggests a regen failure. I'd be checking the FAP/DPF sensor and vacuum systems.

Morning JB405, have been working on a sedan which could be a twin to yours save for having double the km's. The owner advised that the first event was a sudden loss of power which self cured after a short cooling off. Stayed fine for a month or two then a repeat, which became more frequent and more annoying. Mechanics looked and were unable to be definite as to what and the cost. It goes well now following the replacement of the DPF pressure sensor (an easy task and cheap if you have a donor car), fitting of a restrictor to the EGR and the repair of the turbo to throttle body hose which had a split of about 37mm up close to the throttle body and was the culprit causing the P0299 DTC of 'turbo underboost.' It is understood that replacing that hose is not an uncommon necessity. The DPF icon shows if it is pushed a bit and a forced regen may be necessary now that the sensor is functional.

Thank you. How long since you've fixed it? Long enough to know it was definitely the problem I'm guessing? Thanks again.

Our old 2006 RHR engined 407 had similar symptoms. It turned out it was unable to do a dpf regen (auto or forced), as the car did not meet the min requirements to do so.

To fix it I replaced the plastic aftermarket fuel cap with a genuine one, new set of glow plugs and glow plug relay and a new air filter. That fixed our issues after we got it it to do a forced regen using diagbox. Doing a stationary forced regen is a sight to behold. I then also did an oil and filter change.

Morning JB405, The other day I found that the fuel cap was wounded so it was replaced, and in view of dcc236's comment of 16 Aug it seems that the faulty cap may have been adding to the original issues. Though the engine runs OK now it will still, when pushed a bit hard, throw up the DPF icon which leads me to think that it may have to receive a forced regen. It is theorised that in the past the intercooler bypass hose only had a small leak which would cause an underboost situation while the MAF told the ECU to supply fuel commensurate with what it knew and consequently the engine was constantly overfueling for the inlet air it was actually receiving and over time the DPF has become quite badly clogged. Then sometime during these ailments the DPF sensor failed, and I don't know what it's failure would have done for regenning - but i do know that just changing it did create an immediate improvement to how the engine ran. When I first saw the vehicle there was a lot of soot on, and around, the back of the car, which, in hindsight, probably said 'I'm running rich and you'll find that the bypass hose is split.' My '07 407 manual with RHR does not have the bypass hose nor does the wife's '10 308.

Experiencing the exact same problem with a 2006 2.0 HDI wagon, 203k. Every tank for 4 to 6 minutes total loss of torque and revs, then resurge. Tried different gears, high revs, but continues. Will start checking for your faults. Thanks for the thread.