Help needed. 407 2.0 HDI vibration.

Lerp

Tadpole
To all Froggies,
Recently purchased a 2007 407 2.0 HDI wagon with 6 Speed Aiswin box. Car was cheap due to the extreme vibration at idle and driving at all rpm's and speeds.. 132km on clock and revs evenly. Believed I would find top engine mount gone, as had this with my other 307 2006 2.0HDI auto wagon. Put the wagon on the computer and all seemed to be fine, bar some bulb lamp warnings and tyre pressure warnings. Cleared codes.

Sure enough mount stuffed. Replaced top and bottom mounts and this was also on the way out. Trans mount checked and good. Still got a serious vibration at idle in neutral. Ok so engine out. Pulled the engine out, and found serious amount of build up in all exhaust manifold return. Pulled off all the manifolds, cleaned MAF, EGR valve off the turbo, Turbo pipes, metal EGR pipe from intake nearly occluded. Looked at timing belt which was apparently changed at 106k. New belt and pulley, but suspect water pump due to 25k of serious vibrating. Replaced. New glow plugs as one was down, and the engine was out. Pinned Camshaft sprocket and removed starter motor to pin flywheel and found flywheel out by about 4 to 5 teeth. ( Ahh, timing out by a few degrees, Gotcha.) Set timing and re-install. Whilst under car removed exhaust and gernied any crap out of DPF filters and refitted.

Expectantly fired it up and much improved but still has a vibration.:disappr: ???

Injectors! Removed all injectors, sooty . Cleaned, checked for consistent dispersal out of all 6 jets, refitted. Still no good. Injector transplant from my 307. 307's injectors all light crispy brown. Jets checked. All good, transplanted no joy! Transplanted cam shaft sensor and crank shaft sensor. No good!:mad:

Situation now. Engine purrs at 800 revs with no fluctuations, but still low vibration. Believe this is what destroyed engine mounts. Vibration not as noticeable under load, but more prominent when you back off. Slight drop when auto changes down gears. Auto shifts up and down smoothly, slight lag if you plant your foot. Only thing I can think is flywheel balance or torque converter issue, as these are the only large things spinning at idle. Bought it to give to my wife as cheap commuter for our long distance rural driving, but no way she'll use it until I sort it out.:crazy:

Recommendations? Thanks for reading my plight. Lerp

Did you replace the engine steady top mount as well also if you check the gearbox input speed compared to the engine speed you might find a locked converter

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

DMC, Didn't change steady mount as appears fully intact, and shows nothing excessive when engine operating. How do you measure gearbox input speed against engine speed. I'm not a mechanic, just an enthusiast backed by an experienced tinkerer.

This suggestion is kind of way out there, but...
Could there be a problem with the in sump balancer?

How do you measure gearbox input speed against engine speed. I'm not a mechanic, just an enthusiast backed by an experienced tinkerer.

Either PP2000/diagbox, or a DS150e with the autocom software will let you read out current status when engine is running.

I just checked on my 407 using the DS150e unit - select the gearbox for diagnosis, scroll through the various data lists and data list 13 and 14 will show engine revs and gearbox input speed.
In my case, at idle, the engine was 800rpm, gearbox was 736 (from memory).

I realise you are not a mechanic, but if you have the tools to pull out an engine, you should seriously consider a DS150e such as this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2018-Ne...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It will pay for itself in no time at all. About as useful as a 10mm spanner.

This suggestion is kind of way out there, but...
Could there be a problem with the in sump balancer?

This motor doesn’t run one but yes a miss timed balance shaft/ cassette can do this

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

UNM, Thanks for advice, ordered.
Lerp

When it arrives, feel free to PM me if you need any assistance with installing or initial use.
It was far easier to install than the diagbox stuff.
You can search for 'ds150e install' to find some youtube videos - watching a stock install was a help for me to work out the sequence.

The s/w that arrived with mine was 2015.3 which should work fine for a 2007, but I also got a slightly newer version (2016.1), from dmccurtayne, if you need it.
I installed on a standalone laptop as I am always a bit nervous of s/w that arrives from a non trusted source. I haven't seen any issues, but it would be unwise to install on a machine where you regularly enter personal data just in case of malware.

You'll need Windows and .Net at a minimum, but it does run on anything from WinXP up and I have it on a machine with only 512Mb of RAM.

The built in database of cars on the s/w is not always accurate, so I had to lie to my s/w and tell it I have a Citroen C5 2008 in order to get the AM6 gearbox and Siemens ECU that is on my 407. I use the standard 407 profile for talking to the BSI which is configured properly.
Easy enough to tell if it is working correctly though once you know what to look for.

Don't these engines have the dual-mass flywheels that fail and vibrate like crazy, so people convert them to solid flywheels which are a bit less smooth but don't fail? Or is that only on the manual HDis?

Autos have a heavy torque converter spinning and don't need a lump of iron to do the job. Where the flywheel would go you get a light plate.