Help Identifying a Diesel Engine

Halsey

Tadpole
My search skills on this forum are somewhat limited to say the least so please accept my apologies in advance if the information is already here. I have recently bought a four cylinder diesel engine to power a small wooden boat and I'm unsure as to exactly what i have bought. The bloke i bought it from said he thinks it is from a Xantia and he thinks it is 1.9 litre and it is turbo'd. I have found the following markings on the block but have been unable to tie them to what i have. PSA DHY, 10CUJW, 3013896. To add some confusion there appears to be a heart shaped marking immediately before and after the 3013896. Maybe that is the French sense of humour!!!

I am also hoping to find a schematic of the cooling system (it came with no radiator/cooling water hoses) that will help me plumb in a raw water heat exchanger correctly if someone can point me in that direction.

Many thanks
Halsey

Attachments

• Diesel Engine Block Markings.jpg
    Diesel Engine Block Markings.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 76
Peugeot 405 XUD9TEY, 1905 cc, 66kW, 1987->
Does it look like this?
xud.png

Last edited:
I think you'll find that the 'heart-shaped' marks are intended to designate the start and finish of the engine # - so that a miscreant can't easily alter the engine number by adding (or erasing) digits at each end.

Your engine may indeed have come from a Citroen Xantia, but it would have been a personal import in Australia (assuming you are actually from Perth, Western Australia, rather than Perth, Scotland). I think that Seasink is on the money - in Australia the 405 would be by far the most common source of such a motor, and 405 diesels were still sold new here in 1996.