Hello everyone. Can someone help me with identifying which engine in this car ?

victorvector

Tadpole
Hello everyone .
I am new to Peugeot cars .
I am considering buying a 2008 207 Xt 5 speed manual.
The car has done 104 000 km so i would like to know if the chain / belt needs replacing ?

I am trying to work out exactly which engine this is .
Does this engine have a timing chain or a belt ?

Are these 2008 207 reliable , or should i buy something else?

2008 Peugeot 207 , Xt
  • Engine Type:Multi Point F/Inj
  • Bore Stroke:77x85.8
  • Cylinder Configuration:Inline 4
  • Cylinder Compression Ratio:10.5
  • Engine Capacity CC:1598 cc
  • Engine Capacity Litres:1.6L
  • Power:88kW @ 6000rpm
  • Torque:160Nm @ 4250rpm
  • No. Of Valves:16
  • Valve Gear:Variable Double Overhead Cam

Attachments

• wwwwww.png
    wwwwww.png
    328.3 KB · Views: 142
  • rr.png
    rr.png
    368.8 KB · Views: 152
My understanding is that car has an early Prince (EP6) engine with timing chain.

You should get lots of comments here on it.

The early ones had issues with the timing chain and tensioner - as long as it's had the update done it should be fine.

There is extra servicing with these engines because of the direct injection not washing the inlet valves. You'll need to run a can of cleaner through the intake at every service to ensure the inlet valves don't get too coked up.

Cheers

Justin

Last edited:
Thank you for the great and quick response.
This is the kind of information I was hoping for.
It`s hard when you know next to nothing , like me .
Many thanks ,Trish

The 88 kW engine is known as EP6C, and is naturally aspirated, with conventional injection at the manifold, and doesn't have the valve fouling trouble that the direct injection turbo engines of all makes get.

What it does have are variable stroke inlet valves using technology brought over from BMW. There is also variable timing. The engine was a joint design and was used in Minis as well. It is essentially a Peugeot block with a BMW head.

The chain mentioned stretched and was a too-often problem in the early cars, both for Peugeot-Citroen and Mini, fitted with the turbo engine version. It has given much less bother with the less powerful 88 kW engine. 2008 is early.

Almost all affected have been replaced by a better one as a warranty item, sometimes long after the warranty expired. A dealer can check updates for the car's VIN for you - it's all on the computer. The symptom is a very loud rattle at the driver's end as the engine gets to warm and beyond. You may hear a slight rattle just after starting - that's normal .

A dealer can also tell you if a software update is available

I regularly drive both the very frisky EP6DT turbo version as well as the 88 kW EP6 version and find them very pleasant drives. Neither car has cost us much in maintenance or repairs. No repairs yet for the 2012 EP6. One of the good things about French cars is the ready availability of parts from outside the dealer network.

Here is a pic of the 88 kW engine (as fitted to a small Citroen). The heat shield at the front is a giveaway.
citroen ds3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my ...thank you , thank you , thank you !
This is fantastic !
You people are amazing.
regards , Trish.

I should have added that the 5 speed manual box was long used and has a good reputation.

Newer "hot" and "sports" models have 6 speeds. For normal use the 5 are quite adequate, and they have conventional clutches as a maintenance bonus..

I would be careful about any auto from any make as cars age, simply because of the cost of fixing them should they need it.

Thank you Seasink.
I have always been a fan of manuals .
Many years ago I was the proud owner of a Fiat 124 Sport 1.8ltr with a manual 5 speed that never once gave me any trouble.
I still miss that car.

...snip...
Many years ago I was the proud owner of a Fiat 124 Sport 1.8ltr with a manual 5 speed that never once gave me any trouble.
I still miss that car.
You're in the right place then. I've owned 5 of them. What amazing cars they were. Italians in the 1960's had twin cam engines, 5 speed gearboxes and 4 wheel disk brakes. It took the rest of the world decades to catch up.

Good luck with your Peugeot chasing !

Cheers

Justin

They were indeed advanced for their time.
It was unfortunate that they had the rust issues.
Thanks Justin.